Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Things you've found while pesach cleaning :)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 11:29 am
lol, the repeating that has been going on this thread.. just too funny.

louche

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 5:16 pm
crumbs in the keyboard like you wouldn't believe.

louche

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 5:17 pm

mama-star

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 7:29 pm
did I mention I live in miami, florida?

LOL

toastedbagel

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 7:17 am
How do I delete? I know I have done it before, but now it seems I can only edit and replace the text?

louche

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 11:35 am
toastedbagel wrote:
How do I delete? I know I have done it before, but now it seems I can only edit and replace the text?

you can delete only if no one has responded, otherwise you have to ask a mod to do it for you.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 11:36 am
louche wrote:

Me too. I tried the "air" spray but it only got some out. How do I get the rest out and it fully clean?

louche

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 12:02 pm
Fabulous wrote:
louche wrote:

Me too. I tried the "air" spray but it only got some out. How do I get the rest out and it fully clean?

first, unplug your keyboard. Take a small screwdriver, wedge it under each key and pop the key out. Do this for a few keys at a time or for the whole keyboard if you dare. Either wash the keys with soap and water and dry thoroughly, wipe with an alcohol wipe or a slightly damp cloth, or rub the crud off with your fingers.

Next, take the keyboard and turn it upside down and shake hard or tap firmly on the table to dislodge the big crumbs.

Now, take a small toothbrush or paintbrush and brush away the fluffy, linty, dusty stuff. Stop here if you're ok with that. If you're obsessive-compulsive, take a very slightly damp or alcohol-moistened cotton swab and swab down the area to get rid of the dirty smudges or coffee-spill residue, should there be any.

Replace the keys and go on to the next row or part thereof. You should work from top to bottom b/c the crumbs will sift their way down to the bottom as you work.

Finally, cover the keyboard in clear plastic or quit eating at the keyboard till after Pesach.

This worked great with my Mac keyboard. I wasn't able to pop the keys off the Dell keyboard. For that, I did the tapping on the table, followed by a wipe down with barely damp paper towels. To get between the rows--there was real sticky-linty residue, as if someone had both spilled something sticky and then shed lint over the board--I took a piece of thin stiff cardboard, wrapped a damp paper towel around it, wedged it lengthwise between the rows, and slid it sideways back and forth to loosen the crud. A thin piece of sheet metal would have been better as the cardboard softens from the water on the paper towel. But it worked.

For between the individual keys, a barely damp cotton swab should do the trick. You need a lot of swabs, though, as they get filthy fast. Anything inaccessible is nullified by kol chamira so I don't worry about it, but if I planned to use the keyboard on Pesach I might cover it with clear plastic wrap. I would do that for sure if I were using the computer in a place where we eat.

SomebodyElse

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 1:13 pm
Fabulous wrote:
louche wrote:

Dissection and alcohol and a million q-tips. See louche's detailed instructions.

I spent like a whole day cleaning my keyboard the first year we stayed home Pesach. I felt very accomplished. Idea The next year we spent $10 to get a Pesach keyboard from Target.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 2:26 pm
Thanks so much!! I do have a dell but q tips just totally slipped my mind. I hope to do it by the beginning of next week, I'll let you know how it turns out.

louche

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 2:45 pm
I figured out what to do with the dell--its keys are attached differently, on a vigger post than the mac. use a larger screwdriber, a good hefty one 1/4 inch or 5/16 inch wide, pops those vavies right up. Right, vavies. That's what you get when you switch the V and B keys when you put them vack.

It was eben filthier in there than I imagined...

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Apr 02 2009, 11:04 pm
louche wrote:
I figured out what to do with the dell--its keys are attached differently, on a vigger post than the mac. use a larger screwdriber, a good hefty one 1/4 inch or 5/16 inch wide, pops those vavies right up. Right, vavies. That's what you get when you switch the V and B keys when you put them vack.

is it just me, or is the funniest post I have read in a while? I am ROFL!!! LOL LOL LOL

momsprince

Post Thu, Apr 02 2009, 11:18 pm
MommyLuv wrote:
louche wrote:

is it just me, or is the funniest post I have read in a while? I am ROFL!!! LOL LOL LOL
Me too. I've got tears in my eyes from laughing so hard and my husband came running to see what's wrong with me. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.

Isramom8

Post Fri, Apr 03 2009, 11:14 am
I found a record of how much money I spent on my son's bar mitzvah kiddush almost 3 years ago. We shared the kiddush with friends whose son had his bar mitzvah the same week, so I called to see how much money I owe her. She said, "Get out of that closet and get in your kitchen - that's where the chometz is!"

I also found shalom bayis tapes I was supposed to be selling, but dh says tapes are obsolete.

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 10:07 pm
Bumping for this year's amusement...

sky

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 10:40 pm
I found a night guard that was missing for the past year. Problem is I'm not sure what I did with it...I have a feeling I threw it out. Rolling Eyes

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 5:03 am
I just found dhs shitta mekubetzes, he's been looking for it almost since we moved here. It was in a box labeled in his handwriting "storage"

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 8:41 am
Iymnok wrote:
I just found dhs shitta mekubetzes, he's been looking for it almost since we moved here. It was in a box labeled in his handwriting "storage"

Haha, guess he can't put any blame on you for that!

rachel6543

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 8:56 am
Haven't started cleaning yet, but every year when cleaning out my sons toys (esp the Legos) I always seem to find at least 1-2 dead bugs! Ick!!!!!

zigi

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:30 am
baby toys
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics