Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
H2o for 5 months old...dangerous??
1  2  Next

sarahla

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 2:03 pm
Is it safe to keep my 5 months old bb water...its been hot lately ...I remember reading not good things about giving water so now im scared...
thanks for letting me know Smile

happyone

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 2:19 pm
HUH? what's wrong with giving water?

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 2:35 pm
I found this article if you're interested http://www.todaysparent.com/ba.....=1240

Zus

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 2:36 pm
It's not necessary to give extra water when the baby is breastfeeding exclusively. He should do all his drinking from the breast, so on hot days make sure YOU drink the extra water, and latch on more frequently if your baby seems thirsty.
If your baby is already on solids, you can offer some extra water with the meals.

If your baby is bottle fed, you can also add an extra (small) bottle of water, NEVER add more water to the formula!!!

Also, make sure to give the baby cooled down boiled water only during the first year.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 2:39 pm
Zus wrote:
It's not necessary to give extra water when the baby is breastfeeding exclusively. He should do all his drinking from the breast, so on hot days make sure YOU drink the extra water, and latch on more frequently if your baby seems thirsty.
If your baby is already on solids, you can offer some extra water with the meals.

If your baby is bottle fed, you can also add an extra (small) bottle of water, NEVER add more water to the formula!!!

Also, make sure to give the baby cooled down boiled water only during the first year.
I was told that it is ok to give non boiled water to a baby half a year old and up.

Zus

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 2:41 pm
I was told the whole first year.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 2:44 pm
or you can use nursery water for bottle feeding

Zus

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 2:47 pm
What is nursery water?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 2:50 pm
kikavu wrote:
never heard of such a thing.

sarahla

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 4:13 pm
thanks for the replies...it helps...I will give him a bit of water Smile

ss321

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 4:20 pm
Zus wrote:
What is nursery water?

I think nursery water is just a brand of distilled water marketed for babies (ie: $$$$)
http://www.nurserywater.com/

Ive never heard of not being able to give a 5 month old baby regular water though! this is all a first to me. Sure from a nutritional standpoint, there are better things to give them to drink (ie- milk?) but if you are in a jam (out of the house and its not an option and your baby is thirsty), or the baby is consitpated, giving water straight up is always a great option!

chaylizi

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 5:32 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
kikavu wrote:
never heard of such a thing.

I never did either. even if I had, I don't bottle feed. in any case, I have no use for expensive boiled water or whatever it is, if I can deal with it myself. the friend who told me about it though, is a really frugal kollel wife. she doesn't buy anything that isn't necessary.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 5:34 pm
ss321 wrote:
Zus wrote:
What is nursery water?

I think nursery water is just a brand of distilled water marketed for babies (ie: $$$$)
http://www.nurserywater.com/

Ive never heard of not being able to give a 5 month old baby regular water though! this is all a first to me. Sure from a nutritional standpoint, there are better things to give them to drink (ie- milk?) but if you are in a jam (out of the house and its not an option and your baby is thirsty), or the baby is consitpated, giving water straight up is always a great option!

actually you really aren't supposed to give water to babies. they should have breastmilk or formula until they are on solids & that's it. in the hospitals, they used to give sugar water to babies with low blood sugar. they aren't allowed to do that anymore. now they have to feed the baby in the regular way to increase the blood sugar. the only thing we ever used sugar water for is during circs.

thatslife

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 5:36 pm
I was told not to igve a baby water until they are set in there eatting schedule bc ppl have a tendency to give water instead of formula and or nurse. at five months to give a little water shouldnt be a problem.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 5:59 pm
not every baby eats at 5 months. mine certainly will not be starting solids at 5 months.

ss321

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 6:04 pm
kikavu wrote:

actually you really aren't supposed to give water to babies. they should have breastmilk or formula until they are on solids & that's it. in the hospitals, they used to give sugar water to babies with low blood sugar. they aren't allowed to do that anymore. now they have to feed the baby in the regular way to increase the blood sugar. the only thing we ever used sugar water for is during circs.

hnmm...
I think everything in moderation.
I am certainly not saying give your kid water because you are too tired/lazy to nurse or prepare a bottle. but if you are in a bind, it will suffice, nothing will happen, it wont cause electrolyte abnomalities or anything in a 5 month old. would I give it to a neonate? thats different. but at 5 months, given what the OP said, giving a bottle of water isnt the end of the world. Ive never seen sugar water given in a hosptial setting, thats for sure. But when my baby was consipated at about 5 wks, my pediatrician actually recommended we give him a bottle of sugar water in the eveninings to help move things along. I guess ud be suing him for malpractice by now!!

chaylizi

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 6:50 pm
no, I'm really not the suing type. don't know where you would've picked that up from. I'm just one of those weirdoes who solely nurses for 8-10 months or so. my kids all have terrible GI issues in infanthood and I'm really careful what I give them. that's all.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 7:45 pm
All of my kids started grabbing for the spoon at around 5 months, so I would give them a little tap water on the spoon. I think it helped them get used to the idea when we started solids, and it was a lot of fun. I'm sure it wasn't enough to drown a delicate appetite; they all nursed just fine for between 1-2 years.

ss321

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 4:18 am
imasinger wrote:
All of my kids started grabbing for the spoon at around 5 months, so I would give them a little tap water on the spoon. I think it helped them get used to the idea when we started solids, and it was a lot of fun.

thats a cute idea!

ss321

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 4:22 am
kikavu wrote:
no, I'm really not the suing type. don't know where you would've picked that up from. I'm just one of those weirdoes who solely nurses for 8-10 months or so. my kids all have terrible GI issues in infanthood and I'm really careful what I give them. that's all.

I wasnt insinuating that Wink
It was just that its not like I was making the water thing up, or came up with it myself, or even learned about it in school (like I said, I never saw H2O given to neonates in the hosp), it was s/t that my pediatrician recommended when my baby was having constipation issues. I am also careful what goes into my little babies precious mouths and stomachs, but as people on this site know - I dont think formula is necessarily detrimental! It may not be the #1 choice, but I am more than ok with it. same goes for water! does it serve any nutritional purpose? no. For a 3 wk old, would I give it if I was in a "jam?" NO. I would either go home to nurse or I would find the closest duane reade and buy a package of formula fast, rather than giving water. but to a 5 month old, I think its totally fine. Kids start eating rice and stuff at 4 months, their gut is ready for water....
to each their own.
but to call it dangerous I think is a major stretch.
and that was the OPs question - is it DANGEROUS. the answer is certainly not.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics