Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Hot-shoe

Stayci

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 12:34 am
My husband always enjoyed photography, so as a birthday gift I got him a simple studio set. For the life of mine I cannot figure out how to get rid of the camera flash so only the hot-shoe (Did I get it right?, I have not much knowledge in thids aspect. I asked a friend of mine to purchase it for me.) flashes when He takes the pictures. When I tried shutting off the flash, the hot-shoe did not work either. Am I being clear? Can you help me out? I'll provide more information if necessary. I do not even know enough about photography to ask the right questions.

Zahava

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 1:22 am
Is the flash mounted on the camera? Are they hot shoe flashes or studio strobes? If they are strobes how did you connect them, wired or wireless? I'm pretty sure that mounted flashes or wired off camera hot shoe strobes should "disable" the built in flash.

Stayci

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 12:30 pm
The flashes are studio strobes and connected wireless. It did not disable the camera flash. Can anyone please give me advice or tips?

PIP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 1:22 pm
Both (on-camera and the strobes) are going off?If they are, just don't pop up your flash when you take the picture. (This can only be done in one of the manual settings)
What kind of camera?

Stayci

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 1:28 pm
The camera is a Nikon P5100.

Zahava

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 1:32 pm
Did you not insert something in the hot shoe to trigger the strobes? I think that should keep the flash from popping up, no? Is your flash on the side or in the center?

Zahava

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 1:34 pm
OK, just saw a pic of your camera, the flash doesn't have to pop up.

I don't know that particular camera, but I'm there's gotta be a setting somewhere for flash off.

Stayci

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 2:10 pm
If I shut the flash, the strobe lights didn't work either. You think I should be able to find a setting that disables the cameras flash but not the hot-shoe?

Zahava

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 2:52 pm
When you put a flash into the hot shoe, the camera knows to fire that and not the built in, unless it's set up to do a fill flash. I don't know for sure, but there should be a setting for the wireless trigger to be read by the camera as if it was a hot shoe flash.

Just to make it clear, I'm assuming that the strobes go off as well as the built in flash, right?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art