Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Traditional pesach food
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 3:56 pm
What are your family's/eidah (culture/sect)'s traditional pesach foods?

"What" are you? Ashkenazi litvish? Chassidish? Morrocan? Persian? Etc...

The only traditional pesach food my family has is matza brie. Two different kinds- from my father's family, its salty, and my mother's family's is more like french toast and is sweet. Yes, non gebrokts. From a litvish ashkenazi family.
No traditional seder food aside for egg in salt water and maybe matza ball soup.

Fabulous

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 4:14 pm
ashkenazi/heimish/chassidish minhagim

carp and homemade chrain/beet salad

chicken soup with lokshen and kneidlach

chicken from the soup or hungarian chicken called betchinalt for seder and any other protein for other meals

potato kugel

cucumber salad

chremslach

apple compote

no peels on any veggies or fruits.

freidasima

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 4:15 pm
ashkenazi/originally chassidish (not today) from home so not gebrokt

potatoes
potatoes
potatoes
potatoes
potatoes.

Did I mention potatoes?

Aidelmom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 4:20 pm
erev pesach borsht (my grandmother a'h always made it) potatoes with gribenes (crispy peices of chicken fat crisped in the liquidised chicken fat) and boiled eggs.
right also matzo brei - sweet

Litvish ashkenazi (though my grandmother a'h was from a chassidish family and originally from poland)

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 4:25 pm
meat and potatoes
chicken and potatoes
turkey and potatoes
eggs and potatoes

(thank goodness we have since discovered squash and sweet potato...although I personally will never get sick of potatoes)

cucumber salad (peeled)
mango and avocado salad
orange and avocado salad
beetroot salad

chicken soup with that unique pesach flavour (no pepper or soup mix!) with soup eggs.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 4:42 pm
DH and I, both ashkenaz, have invented some of our own customs....

I make homemade chrain... sooo strong.

We always have a meat tzimmes as our main dish. Quinoa has taken the place of kugels (kids never ate them anyway and there was always too much left uneaten).

louche

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:31 pm
only eggs in salt water. there are foods I make every Pesach that are by now "traditional" for me, but in no way do I expect my children to necessarily serve the same foods in their households. I don't hold with "minhagim" that are merely a perpetuation of what someone else did but have no substantive basis.

hannah95

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:39 pm
Sefaradi here

Msoki, which is a lamb stew with many spices
Yabraks which are cabbage meat rolls
Onions and almond chicken stew
Guizadah (almond cakes)
Pessah hachis parmentier (a layer of grounded meat with mashed potatoes on top)
Egg salad
Leuf (pickled veggies)
And Potatoes, Potatoes, Potatoes, meat, meat, meat meat meat lol

baba

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 4:01 am
My dad says we dont eat potatoes... Nobody's figured it out, but since he's sure that was there family minhag in Iraq, we never ate potatoes. My mom's theory is they probably never ate potatoes because the simply always eat rice, oh well.

My grandmother always maked kubeh. I really miss it, but havent found a recipe or even restaurant here, that looks similar, so I cant make it.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 4:03 am
baba wrote:
My dad says we dont eat potatoes... Nobody's figured it out, but since he's sure that was there family minhag in Iraq, we never ate potatoes. My mom's theory is they probably never ate potatoes because the simply always eat rice, oh well.

My grandmother always maked kubeh. I really miss it, but havent found a recipe or even restaurant here, that looks similar, so I cant make it.
Are you kidding? There are Iraqi places all over. In Or Yehuda there is a place which makes kubbes (different kinds) for workers, every day. You can even buy frozen kubbes.
Regarding the potatoes: maybe they just didn't have potatoes back then in Iraq?

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 4:12 am
baba wrote:

Remind anyone of hte story of the mother / daughter / grandmother who always cut the roast in half. Then the grandaughter asked one day why the grandma cut the roast and she said "otherwise it doesn't fit in my pot!" Very Happy

baba

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 4:41 am
Tamiri, that's what my mom says too.
I've tried a lot of places, but it's never like my grandmothers. Usually they have the hard, fried ones, or ones in soup. I'm guessing they dont have it cause hers took three days to make... Maybe I'm better off not knowing the recipe.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 5:20 am
I come from a very Litvish MO family.
At my parents house:
Erev pesach is always a problem becasue you can't eat gebruchts - so my mom usually makes these great non-gebruchts brownies - I don't know how traditional that is LOL

For seder at my parents house
We always had chicken soup with kneidlach
Roasted turkey (it is my family's minhag not to serve beef or lamb at the seder)
Matza stuffing
roasted potatoes
a vareity of kugals
a salad
and a light dessert

on chol hamoed the most traditional foods we ever had in our house were potatoe latkes and cottage cheese pancakes.
We usally had lot's of cakes and cookies to nosh on as well (all home baked) mandel bread, sponge cakes of various kinds, said brownies, chocolate chip cookies, Jelly roles etc.
My mom likes baking non gebruchts stuff to keep down the costs of cake meal.

My DH's family is much more traditional, they have home made actually stuffed gefilta fish, they do not serve gebrutchts as seder night because my MIL comes from a chasidish family, so they have egg crepes in the soup at seder. They don't serve any roasted meat at seder but do serve beef.
I figure when we make our own seder we'll have to serve non-roasted chicken because either one of us will feel weird serving roasts or beef at the seder.

willow

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 6:25 am
chanchy123, I thought you can't eat roasted for the sedar?

chanchy123

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 6:45 am
willow wrote:
chanchy123, I thought you can't eat roasted for the sedar?

Not my family's minhag - our minhag is not to eat beef or lamb. I'm not sure where this came from but it goes way back.

Seraph

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 7:22 am
As far as I know, the only issur is having roast lamb at the seder. (Could be sfardim do this, but ashkenazim hold its assur.) And then apparently there are some derivatives of it. Some people dont eat any beef/lamb because of this, others don't eat anything roasted, others dont eat any fleish that wasnt boiled, etc... Its all specifically because its not supposed to look like we're eating a korban pesach.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 7:49 am
Seraph wrote:
As far as I know, the only issur is having roast lamb at the seder. (Could be sfardim do this, but ashkenazim hold its assur.) And then apparently there are some derivatives of it. Some people dont eat any beef/lamb because of this, others don't eat anything roasted, others dont eat any fleish that wasnt boiled, etc... Its all specifically because its not supposed to look like we're eating a korban pesach.

You're right of course, I didn't have the koach to go into that. Sfardim actually davka eat roasted lamb.
It's just that I always thought everyone didn't eat beef/lamb but ate roasted on seder until a certain age where it seemed we were the only ones who did that...
I wonder if it's a chasidish/litvish thing.

Seraph

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 8:03 am
Doubt it, because neither the litvishers nor the chassidim I know eat roasted on pesach. In fact, generally the "Frummer" they are, either frim chassidim or frummy litvaks, generally eat only boiled soup chicken on pesach.

Marion

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 8:05 am
We eat roasted on Pesach, just not for seder.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 8:31 am
By me typical Polish stuff.

By husband, kneidlech (arrived in Italy by the ashkenazim and got adopted), pessach pizza, pessach lasagna & ciambelle. Just do a search here.
For the seder, a roast (but not lamb).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics