Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Late night calls
Previous  1  2

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 8:58 am
ss321 wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

my sister I can call before 9, my mother I never call before 9, non-family I try not to call before 9:30. Mothers of small kids that have buses to make, I try not to call before 10 unless it's urgent.

WOW! I dont exactly consider myself such an early bird, but feel comfortable calling people at seven. Some even six thirty (if I know they are working or off to school) but seven is my usual cut off.

also you reminded me though...although (since we have little kids), generally 9 (or 10 at the latest) is our "cut off" - I still call certain people till later than that. Like my parents, or some of our siblings. Difference: we have young children who go to sleep, they dont. I feel OK calling my parents till 12 or 1 because I know how things work there- my mother goes to sleep first, and always mutes the phone in her bedroom. My father stays up later, but mutes the phone if he is working or learning. so one of my siblings (who would be up doing homework) would be the one to answer, and they are often up till midnight or much later! But to other people I would never call that late...I just know how things work with the phones (people mute them as they go off to sleep) so I can feel confident that I wouldnt be waking someone up...
WOW!!!

Even I dont get up at 7. My baby often sleeps til 7:30 or 8:00. And even if I were awake, I dont need phone calls when I'm still froggy-throated.

9 pm??? My night BEGINS then. My kids are finally asleep, dishes washed. My friends' kids are still up and about, they dont even have time to shmooze yet!!!

ss321

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 9:14 am
Mama Bear wrote:
WOW!!!

Even I dont get up at 7. My baby often sleeps til 7:30 or 8:00. And even if I were awake, I dont need phone calls when I'm still froggy-throated.

7 is a luxury for me!! for school I would usually be up and about by 430 (this year is a special treat). AM that is. But even growing up, there was always stuff going on by 7 for sure! Father going to shul, breakfast being made downstairs, siblings all rushing into/out of kitchen on the way to their respective schools, etc. Everyone was pretty much out of the house by 745 or so, so definitely by 7 people were waking up.

My older son sleeps till about 830 or so. I like when my baby does too, but it doesnt always happen. Our schedules conform to his, not the other way around...so when he wakes up at 6, thats wake up time. If he is up at 5, he gets a bottle and were up. B"H they dont share a rm. That would be a nightmare.

Mama Bear wrote:

9 pm??? My night BEGINS then. My kids are finally asleep, dishes washed. My friends' kids are still up and about, they dont even have time to shmooze yet!!!

Right! so does mine! precisely BECAUSE my kids are asleep and I have time for myself, do I not want people calling the house waking the up after all the hard work is done. usually that evening time is for studying/writing etc. When I wanna talk to my friends, instead of calling right away (this is what I usually do -my friends do the same) I text.... "u up?" "can u talk?" "call me" "can I call?" - that way, if it isnt convenient or is late, no one gets woken up. and my cell is always on vibrate. But my house phone never rings that late...the only people (other than family) who have the chutzpah to call that late are $ collectors...we let it go straight to the machine...b'h for caller ID.

de_goldy

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 9:37 am
I am out of the house at 7:00 so I definitely have certain people I can call earlier than that. At night, I put the phones on silent at about 9:30-10:00 so it does'nt bother me is people call later. What bothers me is when people call late and then get upset that we don't pick up.

mominisrael2

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 9:59 am
Not only did a client call me after 10 pm last night (yes, there is quite a time difference between New Jersey and Israel!! Arrrgghhh...), but at the same time our landlord showed up AT OUR DOOR!! Not sure what to make of that, or is that a "only in Israel" thing?? Exploding anger

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 10:45 am
One note: my kids do not wake up from the ringing phone. I keep the cordless phones in the dining room/kitchen, they dont even hear it.

dainty diva

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 10:49 am
Feel free to call me till the roosters begin their crowing, I'll answer the phone, and my voice won't even be cracking!

But don't you dare try to disturb my (almost) daily mid-day nap. My phone goes off the hook then anyway.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette