Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Feeding baby on pesach
1  2  Next

gdgirl

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 3:57 pm
do they make fruit and veggie jars kosher lpesach?
if not what do you give baby?
all I saw here was cornmeal cereal from materna and tuvtaam chicken and meat.
my baby doesn't eat chick/meat yet.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 4:07 pm
gdgirl wrote:
do they make fruit and veggie jars kosher lpesach?
if not what do you give baby?
all I saw here was cornmeal cereal from materna and tuvtaam chicken and meat.
my baby doesn't eat chick/meat yet.

how old is she?

well, you can cook fruit and veggies all by yourself and feed them to the baby.

gdgirl

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 4:09 pm
5 months.
anyone know of any other baby cerealsthey sell or if there are jars?
its not so ard to cook veggies I suppose-like for chicken soup.but fruit?

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 4:12 pm
gdgirl wrote:
5 months.

cook apples, pears, etc exactly like you do veggies. just add a little water and cook till soft. actually I pureed raw apples and pears for my dd, I don't see why cooking is necessary.

while you are anyway making chicken soup cook some extra veggies. you can puree and freeze in ice cube trays if you like.

ora_43

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 4:13 pm
Fruit is very easy -- babies can eat mushy banana with no preparation, or sugar-free applesauce.

eta: or melon in tiny pieces.

cubbie

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 4:19 pm
Raisin wrote:
gdgirl wrote:
5 months.

cook apples, pears, etc exactly like you do veggies. just add a little water and cook till soft. actually I pureed raw apples and pears for my dd, I don't see why cooking is necessary.

while you are anyway making chicken soup cook some extra veggies. you can puree and freeze in ice cube trays if you like.

I always cooked fruit because then I could make batches and freeze them
To be honest I've never grasped the concept of jarred baby foods except for day trips and to have for emergencies, they're so expensive and full of sugar and additives. Everything can be made in large batches and frozen and then they're getting more healthy home cooked foods.
Cereals though I doubt there is anything that is not chametz or at the very least kitniot.

bonnie

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 4:40 pm
If there is anything that requires a product that is NOT on any kosher for passover list...for instance, my 20 month old cannot drink milk or soy. He does very well on Rice Dream. I had to call a special Sephardic posek who checks into products that may be allowed for sephardim. I know at this point he can do without ANY milk- however, I don't think giving him so much juice is good either ( even watered down). He still needs the milk. Always ask your Rav.

Zus

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 4:59 pm
I always make my own baby food, Pesach or not. I even have a pesachdik blender stick especially for that reason! Jarred baby foods look icky.
I started DD on rice cereal because Pesach was coming up and I know I'll be able to find it KLP.

ShanaMatele

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 5:21 pm
Buy KLP dried prunes, apricots, or other dried fruit. Add some water to the fruit and simmer in a pot on the stovetop until very mushy. Then process in your food processor with a bit of the water. I made 3 batches last year. One erev pesach, one on the first day of chol ha'moed, and one before second days. Keeps well in fridge in plastic container. Or make the same with fresh fruit.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 5:31 pm
Tuv taam said theyre coming out with fruit/veggie jars soon. I'm still waiting....

shmaichul

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 5:49 pm
I was wondering the same thing... what do you give instead of cereal?

tzipp

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 6:44 pm
btw jarred bay foos does not have suger added.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 7:30 pm
give them the veggies from the chicken soup ... and even some soft chicken ...apple sauce, a mushed banana ... cottage cheese or yogurts ... add some hot water and mush with fork anything you eat ... a boiled potato

as for cereal - try lady fingers with a little milk Idea

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 7:31 pm
shmaichul wrote:
I was wondering the same thing... what do you give instead of cereal?

mashed potato, if you have gebrokts you can make cereal with matza meal, I used to love this as a kid (!) I think I added hot water or milk to matza meal - I think it had to be fine matza meal.

babies love chicken soup.

shmaichul

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 9:39 pm
im not worried abt the other food - she eats plenty - chicken, yogurt, cottage cheese, veg from soup, fruits pureed... but she eats cereal 2x a day and it has alot of nutrients... I guess shell survive a week just like we all do Wink (btw we dont eat gebrochts...)

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 9:55 pm
the lady fingers are not gebrocht - made with potatoe starch ...

chaylizi

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 10:11 pm
I guess I've never needed baby food on pesach. my older kids were newborns pesachtime & were eating normal food by the next pesach. and my son is 5 months, but we aren't doing solids for a while yet.

mamacita

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 10:18 pm
I made my own back when I had babies new to eating. We also asked our rav what to do since both eat a ton of bread and didn't have enough teeth to make matzoh work (even if we'd want to feed them that much) so we had separate keilim for rice cereal.

This year will be the first time everyone is eating the same thing, no babies, B"H no more allergies, and a few more teeth. Smile

And btw, plenty of jarred food has sugar, especially in Israel. It's important to read ingredients!

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 10:27 pm
Baby fingers are a really bad idea. they are made of eggs and sugar, eggs are a BIG allergen, its not recommended to introduce eggs before a year.

Mommish

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 10:55 pm
One year my 6 month old baby got really constipated on Pesach even though she didn't eat the matzah! She was never constipated before that week. It was really helpful to have prunes on hand. You can make your own stewed prunes or apricots. I think I also made pureed squash, applesauce, gave mashed bananas & avocado. Remember to BF or FF enough too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics