Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
ISO side dishes, soups and kugels made with sweet potato
1  2  Next

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 9:45 am
I am looking for Pesach recipes for side dishes, soups and kugels made with sweet potato.
Please keep in mind that I do not eat white potatoes.
Thanks in advance!

soldat

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 10:08 am
chunk sweet potaoes, apples and onions, sprinkle with salt, oil or shmaltz,
roast in the oven until soft.

bubby

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 10:31 am
Sweet potato pie:

Salt the water, boil & mash SP, add sugar & OJ, eggs. Use 1 egg to 1 SP (at least!!) Mix well, pour into a pan & bake till set.

SP soup:

Chicken stock, boiled mashed SP & carrots, sauteed onions. Blend, season. Add water if necessary.

sarahd

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 10:44 am
My sister thinks this cake is fantastic. IMO, it's an awful lot of work for one torte, but it does taste great!! We use oil instead of margarine.

http://www.epicurious.com/arti.....09115

You could also make tzimmes: sauteed onions, sliced apples, carrots, sweet potato chunks.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 11:05 am
Thank you all so much!
How about savory sweet potato dishes? I love salty sweet potatoes. (I know, I am wierd Smile )

Aidelmom

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 11:09 am
slice sweet potatoes mix with oil rosemary salt pepper garlic powder(op.) roast until crisp on the outside and soft on the inside

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 2:07 pm
I am also off of white potatoe here are some things from my menu:

roated sweet potato: chunk sp and toss with fat (of you klp choice), salt, pepper, paprika, ginger and cinnamon (hopefully you use all of those) - bake for 35-50 min on 425 - real yum

sp latkes: grate sp, mix with finely sliced red onion (nice color contrast, but really any onion will do) - add salt and pepper adn drop by pinchfuls into hot (greased) pan - fry on one side till golden, flip and do other side. You can finish the cooking process in the oven if you want - these also freeze really nicely!

sp souffle/kugel: separate eggs, beat yolks with sugar, cinnamon, salt until a nice bright yellow. add mashed sp and mix until very smooth. whip whites until very very stiff. gently fold sp mix into whites - bake at 350 until golden and dry when a toothpick is inserted in the middle. Turn off oven and leave inside to cool very slowly - really yum!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 2:14 pm
montrealmommy wrote:
I am also off of white potatoe here are some things from my menu:

roated sweet potato: chunk sp and toss with fat (of you klp choice), salt, pepper, paprika, ginger and cinnamon (hopefully you use all of those) - bake for 35-50 min on 425 - real yum

sp latkes: grate sp, mix with finely sliced red onion (nice color contrast, but really any onion will do) - add salt and pepper adn drop by pinchfuls into hot (greased) pan - fry on one side till golden, flip and do other side. You can finish the cooking process in the oven if you want - these also freeze really nicely!

sp souffle/kugel: separate eggs, beat yolks with sugar, cinnamon, salt until a nice bright yellow. add mashed sp and mix until very smooth. whip whites until very very stiff. gently fold sp mix into whites - bake at 350 until golden and dry when a toothpick is inserted in the middle. Turn off oven and leave inside to cool very slowly - really yum!

Thanks montrealmommy! This is great. Do you have the amounts for the sweet potato kugel/souffle?

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 4:44 pm
IIRC, for the souflee it's 1 very large or 2 potatoes per egg. I never measure s+p so do that to taste. I add probably about 1 TbSP sugar (I prefer brown) per sp as I find SP very sweet alread, and as much (or little) cinnamon as you like.

Also, I was rereading my menu, I usually make a pot pie using a potato crust, but since I am now off of potatoes, I am going to try the same thing with sp -

boil and mash 2-3 sp. Mix with a little fat, s+p and chopped/minced onion. you want the mix fairly dry so you may have to "reheat" it once mashed to dry it out a little. Line a pan with 1/2 the mixture. Bake "crust" for 10-15 min. in over at 350 until it browns lightly. Make pot pie filling (mine is soup chicken, diced carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions, various spices). Pour into shell and cover with remaining sp mixture. Bake at 350 until top is golden and a little 'crispy'. You can add egg to the sp mix, I don't b/c of other family allergies.

mamacita

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 7:33 pm
My fav is to slice the sweet pot thinly, spread onto a sheet, drizzle with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and maybe some thyme, and baking like oven fries. soooooo yum!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 8:20 pm
tsimmes
sweet pot kugel
sweet pot pie

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 8:23 pm
Thanks montrealmommy, mamacita, chocolatemoose, aidelmom, sarahd, bubby and soldat!
With these recipes, I don't feel so deprived anymore.
I will let you know if I manage to stay away from all things potato over Yom Tov...

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 10:50 am
In general, we don't eat much starch in our house. I would rather served a salad or other cold vegetable with the fish and a cooked veg with the chicken.

Blair

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 11:17 am
Make root vegetable latkes with sweet potatoes, kohlrabi, carrots and onions. My family loves these.

MiamiMommy

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 12:17 pm
We had this at someones house and I really liked it. Mashed sweet potatoes and carrots with salt. That it!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 1:12 pm
Thanks all!
Does anyone know if I can make a sweet potato kugel the same way as a white potato kugel?
Also, does anyone know how to make potato kugel on a stove top?
TIA!

sarahd

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 2:14 pm
Regular potato kugel on the stovetop is about as easy as it gets. Make your normal recipe, don't add any oil to it. Heat a generous amount of oil in a (preferably non-stick) frying pan. When it's very hot, pour in the kugel batter. When it's sizzling well, cover and lower the flame. When the top is firm and the edges are browned, flip the kugel onto a plate and slide it back into the pan. If the frying pan surface is dry, I.e. all the oil has been absorbed, add more oil before returning the kugel to the pan. Continue frying till bottom is done.

It takes much less time than in the oven.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 2:26 pm
sarahd wrote:
Regular potato kugel on the stovetop is about as easy as it gets. Make your normal recipe, don't add any oil to it. Heat a generous amount of oil in a (preferably non-stick) frying pan. When it's very hot, pour in the kugel batter. When it's sizzling well, cover and lower the flame. When the top is firm and the edges are browned, flip the kugel onto a plate and slide it back into the pan. If the frying pan surface is dry, I.e. all the oil has been absorbed, add more oil before returning the kugel to the pan. Continue frying till bottom is done.

It takes much less time than in the oven.

Thank you! (No oven for Pesach.)

#1cook

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 5:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks all!
Does anyone know if I can make a sweet potato kugel the same way as a white potato kugel?
TIA!

4 quart non stick pot
5 big potatoes
3 eggs
1 onion chopped
1/2-3/4 cup oil
salt & pepper

fry onions in oil while you peel and grate the potatoes pour oil and onions over potatoes add eggs salt and pepper mix well cook on medium flame 1 hour flip kugel and cook 1-2 hours more.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 5:13 pm
MOMOF4BOYS2GIRLS wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks all!
TIA!

4 quart non stick pot
5 big potatoes
3 eggs
1 onion chopped
1/2-3/4 cup oil
salt & pepper

fry onions in oil while you peel and grate the potatoes pour oil and onions over potatoes add eggs salt and pepper mix well cook on medium flame 1 hour flip kugel and cook 1-2 hours more.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics