Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
When did you pierce your daughters ears?
1  2  3  Next

When did you pierce your daughters ears?
As an infant  
 61%  [ 47 ]
as a toddler  
 6%  [ 5 ]
for a birthday or special occasion  
 9%  [ 7 ]
when they asked for it  
 11%  [ 9 ]
make holes in my kids ears?? Never!  
 10%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 76

sunshine!

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 9:37 pm
Just curious...

I just pierced my daughters ears. She is 4 weeks old.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 9:41 pm
much easier as infants ... once they are older they can toddle off with only 1 ear pierced ...

chaylizi

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 9:44 pm
my oldest got her ears pierced at 3.5 years
my second daughter is 2 & her ears are as of yet unpierced. as of now, she will not be getting them pierced until preschool (at least).
my son will not be getting his ears pierced (sorry)

Fox

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 9:46 pm
I have a story about this:

My identical twin DDs were really identical as infants. We couldn't tell them apart. We tried bracelets (hard to see with a quick glance); nail polish (the "polished" twin sucked it right off); different clothes (who can keep track of who's wearing what?), etc.

Finally I suggested to DH that we pierce the oldest twin's ears. He was absolutely appalled that I would even think of mutilating his adorable little munchkin in such a way, and he gave me a long, lomdishe lecture on why ear-piercing is really inappropriate for everyone, especially babies.

Finally, as a clim@x to his lecture, he offered to call the Rav to whom we ask shailos -- a well-known posek. I agreed, and he immediately picked up the phone, even putting it on speaker so I could hear the Rav's response. My DH explained the situation, and much to his surprise, the Rav said, "Sounds like a good idea to me."

I packed up the oldest twin and set off for the salon, but we still laugh about it to this day.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 9:51 pm
what does the younger twin say ... did she ever get her ears pierced ... why didn't you do both and have a set color of earrings for each as well as maybe clothing colors ... twin A is greens & blues - twin B is orange & pinks ...

I just had an epiphany ... you think my mother couldn't tell me and sis apart ... she always got the greens & blues ... I HATE PINK !!! (p.s. we're not twins but everyone thought we were)

sunshine!

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 9:54 pm
I liked piercing their ears early because then it becomes part of their bodies and they don't pull on it or play with it. My older dd has not lost an earring since she had them pierced.

supermama2

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 9:56 pm
If I had a daughter, I don't think I'd want to deal w/ piercing her ears..The upkeep... the pulling at them...

chaylizi

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 10:02 pm
my older dd has been marvelous with her earrings. as a plus, she was old enough for piercing her ears to be a treat.

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 10:15 pm
I got my ears pierced when I was 17. In line ahead of me was a little infant. The ear-piercing lady kept on saying "oh! the baby will never remember! it doesn't even hurt!" well. that baby did NOT stop crying.when it was my turn, the lady DID hurt me. And I remember thinking "I don't think I can pierce my girls' ears until they are old enough to understand."

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 10:39 pm
Pierced my girl's ears when she was 8 weeks old. Like others said, she never noticed they were there. My ped said that if I'm doing it on a baby, I should do it before she's 6 months old so that she wouldn't know they were there and play with them. And the truth is, nobody remembers when they cried as a baby. DD cried for less than 30 seconds, I got a good guy who did it.

THe only problem I've had with them is that at about 9 months, one of DD's earrings somehow came out, so I had to get earrings with a more secure closure. She's now 2 and I've never taken them out since. (Now of course, she knows about them and likes to show them off.)

mamacita

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 11:06 pm
I had dd's ears pierced when she was 3mos old. She cried for a bit, less than when she had her vaccines. She didn't even know she had ears until they were completely healed. Then she figured out how to take them out, hehe. but by then b"H she was old enough to know not to put them in her mouth (over 1.5) and we've found screw on backs that keep em in.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 11:11 pm
I wanted to see how long I can last. At two weeks I got into the car and told dh to drive us to the jewelry store.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 11:22 pm
mamacita wrote:
I had dd's ears pierced when she was 3mos old. She cried for a bit, less than when she had her vaccines. She didn't even know she had ears until they were completely healed. Then she figured out how to take them out, hehe. but by then b"H she was old enough to know not to put them in her mouth (over 1.5) and we've found screw on backs that keep em in.

Yeah - come to think of it, vaccines are probably a lot more painful! Also, we got the ones that are one peice and close in the back with a hook. Kind of like huggies, but even stronger than that. You need to first pull the hook up and then off, way too hard for a 2 (and even three year old and older) year old to figure out.

Classicookie

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 11:34 pm
I didnt do it yet even though I want to bec I dont want to have to deal with losing and buying earings all the time working in a preschool I saw too many get lost and a lot of unhappy mommys so we are just gona have to wait

Lilkingdom

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 11:40 pm
DD was 10 days old. I had someone come to my house and do it. Earrings make such a huge difference on a little girl.

bnm

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 11:44 pm
my daughter just got hers and she cried a lot louder and a lot longer than when she got her shots. she was whimpering for a half hour afterward.

cubbie

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 1:27 am
I just got my older dd's ears pierced for her 4th birthday, she'd been asking since she was 2 - and I told her when she was 4 and for 2 years she was saying that she's going to get earings when she's 4. I don't have an issue with earings, but I do believe that it should be the kid's choice, that she should understand what she's getting done and be old enough to know that it will hurt a little and that she needs to clean them twice a day. She cried a little but wanted to do the second one and is really proud of them.

e1234

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 2:26 am
I did all my girls when they were toilet trained.

mommymorah

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 2:34 am
I have three daughters B"H. I pierced the first one's when she was four months old, after she'd had at least one round of shots. She cried but I sat down and nursed her right there in the mall and she calmed down immediately. When she was about a year old she started pulling them out, and since I was afraid she'd eat them, I took them off for a while (couldn't find any that stayed in). B/c of this I waited longer with daughter #2, until she was about 1 1/2, but she didn't really cry any longer. In fact, I wanted to pierce my niece's ears at the same time, as a gift, and she had a much harder time with it than the baby did! With my youngest daughter, I went back to piercing at a few months old, and it was fine--she never pulled them out, and in fact, has been wearing the same pair for three years now! I think they look so cute and "girly" with earrings. It was my husband's idea to get them done early in the first place, BTW, so it would never be an "issue" of wanting to "be like their friends" etc.--it was always just a matter-of-fact part of life.

MimsCH

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 2:45 am
my daughter was 3 months old. I wanted to send my husband with her...but in the end I did go along!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics