Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What item of makeup would you buy if given a certificate?
1  2  Next

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 5:50 pm
I have been given a gift certificate at a high-end department store beauty area. What is the most important item of makeup that needs to be expensive in order to be good, and that is worth buying there?

I'm thinking an excellent foundation. I now pay about $50 for a bottle of makeup. Will a more expensive one be better, or should I go for something else? Face cream might be a good idea, but I'm a bit too young to need something that expensive in face cream.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

levial

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 5:54 pm
I'd agree with the foundation. I went from my drug store decent brand to Prescriptives and saw a huge difference- my skin just looked perfect.

Second choice would be a specialty product or a new set of high quality brushes. Next big purchase will be the high quality powder to match the foundation.

Face cream - not sure. I've tried creme la mer (I got a sample a long time ago - it was wonderful) but most of the others I see are no better than the Olay microsculpting creme I bought.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 5:55 pm
Foundation, mine costs fifty bucks too.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 6:00 pm
levial wrote:
I'd agree with the foundation. I went from my drug store decent brand to Prescriptives and saw a huge difference- my skin just looked perfect.

I was gonna write the exact same thing. I was never happier with a cosmetics purchase than when I switched to Prescriptives foundation. It exactly matches my skin color and it looks flawless on me. I love it.

Last edited by btMOMtoFFBs on Mon, Feb 23 2009, 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

cookielady

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 6:02 pm
levial wrote:

Second choice would be a specialty product or a new set of high quality brushes.

I second the high quality brushes. I splurged and never regretted a penny of it. (I love the mac brushes)

Raisin

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 6:04 pm
I also love prescriptives make up. But I just got mineral make up from bare escentuals and love that too.

octopus

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 6:30 pm
fifty dollars on foundation-yowsers. I spend $30 (or is that $24) and I get it at the MAC counter.

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 6:40 pm
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I think I'll go for foundation. Brushes are a great idea too, but I have most of the good brushes already.

I was thinking of Prescriptives since I can never find an exact shade to match my skin. But this store doesn't carry the Prescriptives stuff.

I did find that they have a counter by Giella Custom Blend Cosmetics, which is a company that does the same thing, for about the same price. Has anyone ever tried her blends?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 10:36 am
Wow -- $50 foundation. I use Revlon's Colorstay which sells for around $10 and I usually buy when it's buy 2 get 1 free or something like that with a coupon for $3.50 off $10. What am I missing? I think my skin looks fine with it (and I'm always told how young I look -- and I'm 55).

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 6:27 pm
I had that recently, and I couldn't find foundation (it was a busy day in the store and I didn't have time to run around) so I got this instead - it cost almost £40!! I felt it was worth spending the certificate on Smile

http://www.shiseido.co.uk/#/sk.....tment

Maya

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 6:58 pm
On my way to the Giella Custom counter, I was stopped by a salesgirl who tried something on me which I loved.
It's by a company called Perfekt, and they call it a skin perfecting gel. It's a very thin, smoothing, lightweight gel and is excellent for every day, especially in the summer.

itsmeagain

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 7:22 pm
May I ask which dept store?

lubcoralsprings

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 8:33 pm
eyeshadow, it's my favorite

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 6:33 pm
I would buy perfume, but that's because I sell makeup.
I'd definitely recommend good brushes. If you already have those, good foundation is a good idea too (although spending tons on it doesn't always mean that it's better).

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 6:34 pm
eyeshadow!

Butterfly

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 3:16 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
I would buy perfume, but that's because I sell makeup.
I'd definitely recommend good brushes. If you already have those, good foundation is a good idea too (although spending tons on it doesn't always mean that it's better).

May I ask an expert in the field please?.. and other posters as well?
I need a good moisturizer for my skin and eyes. I am over forty five.. I have quite nice skin, but my frown lines are pretty deep, and my chin neck area is beginning to sag slightly.

Since I was reading here between the posts, about the mineral make-ups.. Bare Minerals.. I am tempted to try their products..
Would you recommend it in my case? Is it really safer for the skin than brand name make-ups?

I just looked into SEPHORA.com. They are advertising a starter kit from Bare Escentuals, brushes and all for $60.00 dollars.. (a $175. value.. so they claim.) Is it a smart investment? or is it best to buy just what I need in particular, like foundation, blush. How would I know what color to buy, when normally it should be matched 'personally' to the skin.
I normally use the med. beige color from a name brand co.

Last edited by Butterfly on Sun, Mar 29 2009, 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 3:46 pm
I would buy perfume too ... but cause I don't wear make-up ... it deters from my natural beauty Mr. Green

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 5:12 pm
Dunno. I can get so much stuff on ebay that I almost never spend full price on anything, whether it's a gift or not.

carrot

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 5:48 pm
I didn't read everyone's responses but my number one thought was: foundation.

Then I started to wonder if maybe eyeshadow...

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 6:00 pm
Cool MAC eyeshadows - definitely. I love a cool new eyeshadow - it's easy to get a different look.

And, $50 foundation???? THat sounds like a lot - what brands are you guys using? I don't wear it, but when I did I used clinique, but it was never that much...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics