Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Would you use one year old potato starch?
Previous  1  2

yes  
 75%  [ 99 ]
no  
 25%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 132

Happy Mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 3:43 pm
Yes, I'd use it without any hesitation.

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 10:37 am
Years later, same question.

To those who recommend freezing Potato Starch (in canisters), that wouldnt make sense for most. Its in cardboard cannisters that take up lots of room, and only cost about $2.00 a piece.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 10:46 am
Mevater wrote:
Years later, same question.

To those who recommend freezing Potato Starch (in canisters), that wouldnt make sense for most. Its in cardboard cannisters that take up lots of room, and only cost about $2.00 a piece.
If it's sealed, it's probably ok.
But yes, I would suggest freezing.
It if doesn't make sense because it only costs $2, then maybe don't buy extra so that you don't have leftovers?

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 10:55 am
I've done it without the freezing ... it works just fine

the bags take up less room and cost less than the canisters

Sanguine

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 11:14 am
Pesach gives you a chance once a year to clear our all your Chometz, stuff that's sitting on your shelves. Not only the real Chometz but we try to run of things like rice and even canned stuff. If you keep your potato starch from year to year, it may be kept forever (I used to do that with spices).

Now I have an OT question. What's the story with last year's matza? Matza always has a year on it. If I have last year's matza in my chometz closet (I don't want to use it this Pesach) does it have to be thrown out like bread or can I sell it with the Chametz and use it after Pesach? What about Matza Meal from last year? Can I save it from Last year for after Pesach or is it considered chometz gamoor? (I've never saved before but now I see I have 2 bags of Matzoh meal on my shelf... Oh, if I bought it in the past two or three months it might be from this Pesach. So how about if you save cake mixes? They have Matzoh meal

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 11:26 am
I've read the reason for those dates are to eliminate using matza with bugs ... also especially made l'sheim mitzvas matza means for that year's seder

as for spices they don't keep their flavour ... but potatoe starch has no flavour - doesn't get bugs [not that I have seen]

Sanguine

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 11:34 am
We use potato starch during the year too... My daughter has a friend who can't eat flour so we make Pesach brownies sometimes for her. http://www.imamother.com/forum.....wnies
hmmm I just got an idea. I can make them for trips on succot since they're Shehakol (don't forget they're a perfect snack for this Friday)

Also, Potato starch saved me during the year when I need just a little flour and I'm out. I never buy corn starch. I use the leftover potato starch.

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:35 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If it's sealed, it's probably ok.
But yes, I would suggest freezing.
It if doesn't make sense because it only costs $2, then maybe don't buy extra so that you don't have leftovers?

You cant predict that on Erev Y"T. Having three extra cans for $6 is better than having to run out Erev second days Y"T for a can or two. Now the question is, do I just dump it, although others have said they use one year old closed canisters, even not frozen.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:38 pm
My mother claims (in the name of some relative who is the family's baking expert) that it gets better with age. She deliberately buys extra to store during the year for next pesach.

pause

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:39 pm
Definitely! No question about it. Even if it wasn't frozen.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:46 pm
My friend makes potato starch on her own. She always makes it a year in advance and stores it with her pesach items to be used the following year!

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:50 pm
Thanks all above! Im going to use them iyH!

I wish theyd have expiration dates though... would be nice.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 1:31 pm
I'm about to find out.
I'd never before kept food from one Pesach to the next but after reading this thread last year I decided to keep both a sealed bag of potato starch as well as a sealed bag of matzo cake meal which I double wrapped and stored in the freezer to keep fresh.
I have no qualms about the potato starch. I will smell and taste the matzo meal though before I use it.

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 2:02 pm
etky wrote:
I'm about to find out.
I'd never before kept food from one Pesach to the next but after reading this thread last year I decided to keep both a sealed bag of potato starch as well as a sealed bag of matzo cake meal which I double wrapped and stored in the freezer to keep fresh.
I have no qualms about the potato starch. I will smell and taste the matzo meal though before I use it.

Just baked a batch of Nina's Biscuits w a year old potato starch, theyre heaven as usual. ; - )

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 2:07 pm
Absolutely, if it was stored properly. I store mine at room temp, double-wrapped,with bay leaves to repel any bugs that might come strolling by.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 2:08 pm
If you don't use gebrochts, isn't matzoh or matzoh meal from the year before a problem?

Think1st

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 2:19 pm
Mevater wrote:
Never opened canister. Any health risk?

local supermarket showed me how many items they keep in cold dry basement for next year

Potato-starch , nut oil, etc.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 2:25 pm
Can someone explain the halachic problem with using matzo meal from the previous year?
I'm not familiar with the issue.

tweety1

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 4:41 pm
My mother makes her own. Very often she has leftover. She stores it in a ziplock bag in the cabinet!! Nothing ever happened bh to any of us

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 5:34 pm
My mil is one of those who swears by using last years, but she stores it in the freezer.

I have minimal freezer space, but had some leftover last year so double bagged and sealed and stored in cold roofspace, along with some other dry goods, including matza meal, pepper, sweetener, and coffee. Looks and smells fine, all still double sealed so will see how it works out.

I do use it all year round, but last year bought a bargain 10 pk for half price, and it isn't exactly cheap round here, so thought I'd give it a go.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen