Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The Virtues of Intolerance and Being Judgmental

Motek

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 5:02 pm
two articles for your reading pleasure (perhaps we can discuss them):

http://torah.org/features/par-......html

http://www.aish.com/societyWor.....e.asp

Motek

Post Mon, Jan 10 2005, 6:15 pm
and another article:

http://www.aish.com/societyWor.....s.asp

Motek

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 11:17 am
There's a classic story of two social workers who suddenly come upon a mugger severely beating a man he is in the midst of robbing. They watch the criminal mercilessly pound his victim to a pulp. Their hearts filled with compassion, they point to the mugger and mutually agree that in all certainty he really needs their help.

similar discussion going on in another thread ...

Yael

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 12:30 pm
huh?
which thread?

Motek

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 12:35 pm
the end of Marital Obligations - yet another digression from the topic in that thread

want to move those last posts in Marital over here?

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 1:51 pm
I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. - Elie Wiesel

Rivka

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 6:22 pm
Yes I would also help anyone I see being hurt but only if that doesn't involve getting myself killed.
I would call the police if I saw someone beat someone up because if I myself went over and told the thug to stop he would only beat me to a pulp.
So you need to use your brain sometimes.
In manchester a guy in a car saw some guy stabbing another person, so he drove his car straight at the guy with the knife. Thus saving the other person from being killed, but at the same time not putting his life in danger.

Motek

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 5:42 pm
I quote from Mrs. Yehudis Samet's book, "The Other Side of the Story" - a book I highly recommend, on the topic of giving people the benefit of the doubt - stories and strategies (as well as the next book, "It Wasn't as it Seemed" with only stories):

"Sefer Ha'Chinuch explains that the mitzva of "judging" also includes our obligation to "judge our fellow man favorably and to interpret his actions and words only to the good."

"We pass judgment ALL THE TIME.All like judges in a courtroom who are required to judge justly, we too are obligated to judge our fellow man justly.

"Wouldn't it better if nobody ever judged anybody else? Isn't it preferable to strive to become non-judgmental? Wouldn't life be less complicated and more peaceful if we could just shut off our minds and stop making value judgments about all the things going on around us?

"We might think so if we didn't know that we were created with the ability to perceive, discern, differentiate, and evaluage, for a purpose. We were given active, curious minds in order to fulfill our primary task: to make choices as human beings with free will.

"We start our day by thanking Hashem, "Who gave us the understanding to differentiate between day and night" - between light and darkness, between good and bad. Idea

"The Torah doesn't say: turn off your mind, don't see, think, or evaluate. We are supposed to differentiate between right and wrong - and choose right.

"Along with giving us the ability to make judgments, Hashem tells us how to use that ability. He tells us to judge in a certain way: justly."

roza

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 6:07 pm
critical thinking IOW?
they need to teach all this in schools .

Motek

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 6:13 pm
I agree, it ought to be taught, but many people disagree. They see critical thinking as un-American, mean, intolerant, etc. Because if you/I think critically, then by definition, we are saying that some things are right and some things are wrong, and the current p.c. thinking is - "WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE?" Confused

chavamom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 7:11 pm
America is definately guilty of 'group think' with no THOUGHT behind it. The irony of it is that it goes so unnoticed, esp. by the most educated (and often most liberal) Americans.

I do think there is a difference btwn. judging 'right and wrong' and while in halacha there are many 'drachim' (paths) that are different and none 'wrong'. Shivim panim letorah - there are 70 'faces' to torah. I am not a chasid. That is not my path. Yet I don't think that it 'wrong'. (I know, I know - the Vilna Gaon would have disagreed with me on this point....)

Motek

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 4:33 pm
re Rosh Hashana - I read in a book - Why does G-d judge us?

and one answer given is that:

Judgment implies caring. If you don't care, you don't judge!

so another way of understanding Rosh Hashana and Hashem's judging us is that Hashem cares about how we live our lives and the fact that He cares means He loves us.

nowadays, when you ask people a question, you often get the answer, "whatever"

it fits right in with the "non-judgemental" crusade

and you know what? 'whatever' means the person couldn't care less

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 10:47 pm
and this thread too I am reviving because it looks like I like it...except I still have to look at the links posted.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 11:23 pm
Motek wrote:

Judgment implies caring. If you don't care, you don't judge!

so another way of understanding Rosh Hashana and Hashem's judging us is that Hashem cares about how we live our lives and the fact that He cares means He loves us.

that's what I tell my kids!!! if I didn't love you I wouldn't care enough to tell you that you were doing wrong!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics