Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Sandals and crocs
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 4:44 am
Do you put your toddler in sandals for the summer? Do you think its important, or just something nice? Would you only put them in good quality decent sandals, or would you put them in cheapo sandals without so much support, so long as the toddler has been walking for a while already?

What are the reasons pro and against crocs for toddlers? (I'm not talking about fashion, because that is all subjective, and I happen to think it looks cute.) I'm talking about immitation crocs, the cheap ones.

catonmylap

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 5:26 am
I bought a cheap pair of crocs at the end of season last summer for Hanani. They just fit him now. He loves them! They are the only shoes he can put on by himself. For him, the independence of them is something I would never have thought of.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 5:38 am
I'll be getting Nati Croc knock-offs at Mega (they have them for 40NIS) and in a month or so I'll be getting him sandals.

I don't like having him walk barefoot around the house so the crocs will be great for indoors too.

Akeres Habayis

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 6:16 am
I'm buying the same "crocs" I got last yr.I bought them at the Takana M. for about 40 they were made in britain.they lasted all summer,and are still good but she has outgrown them.
I hope they have,I plan on going after chag to see if they have them,will let u know what "funky"colors they have.they had the fatigue type color(is that how u spell fatigue?)

amother

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 6:38 am
I don't think crocs are good for kids' feet and would not buy sandlas where their feet at not secured into it. Incidentally misrad hachinuch has a rule that kids cannot go to gan in crocs because they feel they are not safe.

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 6:39 am
I like sandals that hold the feet. I don't ever want one shoe I just bought being thrown out the bus window again. Twisted Evil If they can put it by themselves then they can take it off by themselves where you don't want. In Geula knock offs are @20 sh.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 7:07 am
amother wrote:
I don't think crocs are good for kids' feet and would not buy sandlas where their feet at not secured into it. Incidentally misrad hachinuch has a rule that kids cannot go to gan in crocs because they feel they are not safe.

All three of my kids have worn crocs to gan (2 different misrad hachinuch ganim) and I have never been told it's not okay.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 7:09 am
I'd use the crocs mostly for in the house. Nati's first pair of shoes were enclosed sandals and I'll most likely get something similar again for him this year.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 7:17 am
amother wrote:
Yes. One of my pre-school kids (age 3) tripped on a crack in the sidewalk in crocs, that wouldn't have happened in any other shoe. Luckily I caught him before he fell.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 7:19 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
amother wrote:

All three of my kids have worn crocs to gan (2 different misrad hachinuch ganim) and I have never been told it's not okay.

First of all, my point is not that it's bad bc misrad hachinuch says (after all they dont say anything abt kids coming in with life infested heads, etc). I am saying as a rule I would not put shoes on little kids if their feet are not fastened into it, just like I wouldn't put it on an old person. I don't think it's safe or good for the feet. I know I feel it in my own feet if my shoes are not fastened on. I feel like my feet are tired by the end of the day from trying to "hold my shoes" on.
But we actually did get a note home from gan at the beginning of the year to not send kids in with crocs, and it is against a misrad hachinuch rule. Whether it's true or not I don't know. Could be true and lots of gananot don't enforce it, or it could be not true. In any case this is a rule I understand.

Akeres Habayis

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 7:23 am
the one's my daughter had was with a full back w/an arch.
they"looked" like crocs,very safe.I'm a big believer in good shoes for feet,u have to use them for the rest of your life. LOL

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 7:25 am
Yes, mine have the knock off crocs, but they have straps in the back and stay on their feet with no problem. Really they are like sandals as opposed to flip flops with nothing on the back. Now maybe if you buy them too big and don't put the back part on, but the kids have more coverage in their crocs than in their open toed sandals.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 7:28 am
Ah ok, so we may be talking about something different. The ones I see, the kids feet can (and do) slip in and out of it. It has no strap going over the top of the foot, and often nothing in the back either. In which case my answer would be it depends how supportive of a shoe it is, and how it fits the kid. But I dont see such a shoe being much different than a real shoe then.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 7:51 am
My toddler has on the same Crocs I bought him before last Pesach. They're real Crocs - I see a definite difference in durability and comfort and sweating. Although some knockoffs are better than others. The people in my family who got real Crocs have worn them for years, while the fake Crocs didn't last long.

I like Crocs for a toddler because they stay clean looking, they don't weigh down the child when you pick him up, and they are easy to put on and take off.

Off topic, I have a fond memory: When Crocs first came out, the first person in the family to receive them was my uncle, a"h, who had Down Syndrome. My father felt that they would be comfortable for him. That was the generous way my father took care of my uncle. All my kids admired my uncle for those shoes.

rowo

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 7:55 am
ds (22 months) has them and loves them, he only wears them with the back strap on, but has still figured out how to put them on himself. but they are not his only shoes, more for at home or when he wont be doing alot of walking. even though its sometimes a bit of struggle, I put proper shoes on him when I know he'll be doing alot of running and climbing at rhe park. even with the back strap on, they still fall off quite easily.
for me its impt to get properly fitted shoes. I found his imitation crocs in target for less than $10, I dont mind him wearing other cheap shoes as long has his main pair are well fitted and supportive

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 10:22 am
My daughter also fell in sandals. It's not the smart choice.

raspberry tea

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 4:13 pm
Can kids kindergarten to middle school age wear crocs to school in Israel? Or would that not be allowed/ acceptable? Here they are not allowed, just wondering for next year.....

RachelEve14

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 12:55 am
yuki wrote:
Can kids kindergarten to middle school age wear crocs to school in Israel? Or would that not be allowed/ acceptable? Here they are not allowed, just wondering for next year.....

We're in a Dati Leumi / Torani area and I see the girls in crocs. Certainly in gan they are fine. I think they are also fine in elementary. My neighbor's kids wear them all the time, but I haven't paid real attention if they wear them to school or not. I think it would depend on the area & the school if they are allowed or frowned upon.

jewmama83

Post Sat, May 02 2009, 11:16 pm
so last summer, I sent my son to camp in sandals, really expensive ones, but ones that supported his feet REALLY well. guess what?! they had little swimming pools, and he is crazy about water, so he was constantly playing in the water and he ruined his sandals because of it. His morah told us to just buy him crocs b/c they can be worn in the water and dry easily, and we did. They were the best thing that happened to us! he still wears them. I will tell you that my husband's foot dr told him that crocs are the worst thing for the feet, but until they make supportive non-leather sandals for boys, I guess my son will be wearing crocs! He ALWAYS wears them with the back on, and they are great for around the house as well.

Barbara

Post Sat, May 02 2009, 11:40 pm
jewmama83 wrote:
so last summer, I sent my son to camp in sandals, really expensive ones, but ones that supported his feet REALLY well. guess what?! they had little swimming pools, and he is crazy about water, so he was constantly playing in the water and he ruined his sandals because of it. His morah told us to just buy him crocs b/c they can be worn in the water and dry easily, and we did. They were the best thing that happened to us! he still wears them. I will tell you that my husband's foot dr told him that crocs are the worst thing for the feet, but until they make supportive non-leather sandals for boys, I guess my son will be wearing crocs! He ALWAYS wears them with the back on, and they are great for around the house as well.

What about Tevas?

I think its ridiculous (re other posters) to say that kids wouldn't trip in non-Croc shoes. Of COURSE they do. They're kids. Kids trip and fall.

Crocs are extremely comfortable and dry easily, making them great for certain things. I'd say that camp, other than at the pool, is not one of them. They're not close-fitting, so they're not good for athletic activities, like running and jumping. OTOH, either are a lot of sandals. I'd stick to closed-toe sandals (which kind-of defeats the purpose) for camp and the like. Or sneakers.

Don't confuse price with how good the shoes are for a kids feet. A podiatrist acquaintance always told us that PayLess shoes were amazing for kids. (We never bought them, BTW, as we preferred professional fittings for shoes.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics