Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah Recipe for someone who consistently ruins challah
1  2  Next

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 8:33 am
Greenfire has sold me on attampting to make a shlissel challah this shabbos. It seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I asked my DH to buy challas just in case mine bomb.
ANYONE HAVE A DECENT RECIPE that I cannot mess up????
I do own a lovely hardly used kitchen aid....
Thanks!!!

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 8:34 am
sorry for the inane typos
I only have two college degrees
:-)

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 8:40 am
try this one. if you can't fit this amount of flour in the kitchen aid, maybe you can half the recipe. I make this in my magic mill and it is good.

its devorah hellers recipe,posted by sunshine in another thread. you can skip the sifting..I haven't noticed much diffrence if I sift or not.

Quote:
Ok, here goes:

5 lbs high gluten flour (sifted)
5 cups lukewarm water
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp dry yeast or 2 oz fresh yeast
3 whole eggs
1/2 cup oil
2 tbsp salt (or 3 tbsp kosher salt)

Directions:

Combine water sugar and yeast
While these 3 ingredients sit together, sift flour and then tranfer 6 cups of flour on top of forst 3 ingredients. Add eggs, oil, and salt. Start your machine on high speed. After a few minutes you should have a sticky paste. Lower speed and add the rest of the flour over a span of 6-8 minutes. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes then give one final spin for 1 minute, then pour an additional 2 tbsp oil on top of dough. Transfer to a large bowl and cover. After 45 minutes to an hour braid challahs and allow to rise one more hour. Egg challah then bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until done.

These are Devorah's instructions. The only change is the sugar. She says 3/4 cup or as desired, and I use a cup. Hope they come out YUMMY!!!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 10:29 am
there's no khoyv to make challah. you can get the frozen kinneret kind you know.

momomany

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 11:16 am
6 lb challah flour (second best is high-gluten flour) sifted
1/2 cup sugar
4 Tbs salt
5 Tbs dry yeast
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
6 cups very very warm water (just short of hot)

put 3/4 of flour in mixer with sugar, yeast & eggs. Add water and mix on high (covered of course) till a dough forms. mix salt with rest of flour. add to mixer, mix till incorporated. add oil & mix on high 4 minutes. put dough in oiled garbage bag. twist top shut & let rise in bowl 1 hour. take challah, divide & shape. place in floured or greased (spray) pans. let rise 1 hour covered with towels. preheat oven to 350". put in challah. raise oven to 400. challah should be browned after 15-20 minutes. lower back to 350. bake another 30-40 minutes. removefrom pans immediately & cool on wire racks.
I make this in a bosch mixer.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 11:31 am
what about it do you mess up ... perhaps it's your technique rather than the recipe ... dough after mixing always needs to "rest" in a bowl with a light layer of oil - it helps the consistency not be so gooey ...

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:20 pm
I can buy frozen kinneret and still get the full segula or will we just win a $50 scratch card?
If I bake from scratch I want BIG things to happen---and if the chalah is actually edible---then better things and IF my family and guests stay it's awesome then we win BIG TIME...

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:24 pm
Greenie:
I hope you don't mind me giving you a nickname...
I usually add more sugar and then something weird happens to the consistency.
Question:
Can a kitchen aid handle 5 or 6 pounds of flour?
I did find a recipe on this site it calls from 8 cups floud 1 egg and 1/2 sugar--does this sound right?
Obviously other things too but these proportions are they for sweet challah?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:37 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
I can buy frozen kinneret and still get the full segula or will we just win a $50 scratch card?
If I bake from scratch I want BIG things to happen---and if the chalah is actually edible---then better things and IF my family and guests stay it's awesome then we win BIG TIME...

it's not the strongest segulah, as I say every year. a better segulah is buying a new knife erev rosh hashanah.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:51 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
Greenie:
I hope you don't mind me giving you a nickname...
I usually add more sugar and then something weird happens to the consistency.
Question:
Can a kitchen aid handle 5 or 6 pounds of flour?
I did find a recipe on this site it calls from 8 cups floud 1 egg and 1/2 sugar--does this sound right?
Obviously other things too but these proportions are they for sweet challah?

I find it endearing Mr. Green

kitchen aid more like 7-9 cups ...

2 packages dry yeast (or 1 1/2 oz fresh)
3 eggs
1 cup very warm (not hot) water

all into the kitchen aid bowl & mix

next bowl:
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup HOT water
2 tsps salt
1/4 cup sugar (you can add 1/2 if you want it sweet or change it for honey)

mix well making sure sugar and salt dissolve ...

now take those contents and add to the previously mixed yeast mixture - but do not scrape bowl as it will be oily to save for rising ...

next add 7 - 8 cups flour (or 3 1/2 each of white & whole wheat) (or all whole wheat with 1/4 cup ground flax seed so it's not dense)

put on kneading hook and go for it ... once mixed put the dough back into the oily bowl (we saved before) and then flip over - now it is coated in a thin layer of oil - ... now let it rise an hour or so ...

use floured hands to shape - or cheat and make balls or knots in a cupcake tin - let it rise another good hour and then bake for 20 - 30 minutes at 350 depending on the size ... top should brown some and bottom will sound hollow if clicked on with a finger ... voila !!!

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:53 pm
YOU are officially my new BFF..
How many spoons of yeast is that?
I am indeed an airhead...

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:56 pm
mine come in packets ... wait here I'll go check ...

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:57 pm
I buy it at costco... like a million pouns of yeast... in case I ever decide to make challah for the entire state of texas!

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:58 pm
on the back it says: approximately 2 1/4 tsp = one 1/4 oz packet ...

I guess that means 4 1/2 tsps ... I can do math Wink

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:59 pm
yeehaw !!! texas - I thought you were a valley girl ... as in cali Sunny

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 1:01 pm
You can take the gril out of brooklyn but you cant take brookly out of the girl.... gotta get me some more cawfee!!!
Are you sure that is the correct amount of yeast for 8 cups flour???

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 1:02 pm
I am beginning to understand WHY my darn challah never, ever works... it's because I question too much. I will have the faith that your challah is aswesome and I will prepare it as written...
Thanks for the help!!

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 1:04 pm
yo - so you got an accent ... fuhgedaboudit !!!

yes it is the correct amount of yeast according to the back of the red star packet in front of my face shock can you see it ... I can see clearly now the bread will rise ... stop talking about it already and go for it !!!

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 1:05 pm
how many people are you baking for ... you might need 2 batches ... (for a brocha)

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 1:09 pm
thanks for being insistent ... off to make some challah ... Idea
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads