Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Overnight Potato Kugel
1  2  Next

Pineapple

Post Sat, Apr 18 2009, 11:25 pm
How long does it have to cook?

If I put it up in the morning 8ish will it be good for that night? it will be over 12 hours

3Qts

Post Sat, Apr 18 2009, 11:26 pm
Sure. You need 6-8 hours

Fabulous

Post Sat, Apr 18 2009, 11:28 pm
Definitely good. Just make sure to cover the pan very well.

faigie

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 12:21 pm
got a good recipe please for it?

Pineapple

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 8:11 pm
faigie wrote:
got a good recipe please for it?

I'm just using my reg. pot kugel recipe

Pineapple

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 8:12 pm
2 More questions

1. what temp should I start it off on 400 or 450? and how long?

2. How high does the water in the bottom pan have to be?

Fabulous

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 8:13 pm
Pineapple wrote:
2 More questions

1. what temp should I start it off on 400 or 450? and how long?

2. How high does the water in the bottom pan have to be?

I add some hot, boiling water to the mixture. And then just double cover it at 400-425 (water in the pan is not necessary).

anonymom

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 8:22 pm
I love the taste and smell of potato kugel that has been warming all night, like when you walk into shul Shabbos morning and there's going to be a kiddush.

But if it's going to be covered and kept moist, then I guess you would have to give up on the crunchy crispy crust?

pomegranate

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 8:24 pm
if you want you can put it in the oven. make your same recipe as always on five hundred degrees. cover it completely over and tucked in at the sides. after three hours you have a kugel that tastes overnight. delicious. what a treat.

koalamum

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 8:27 pm
When I make potato kugel on Friday, I save half the kugel for crispy slices, and the other half I put into the cholent crockpot. It ends up tasting similar to overnight.

anonymom

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 8:32 pm
Do you put raw kugel batter in the crockpot? I did that once, and it tasted great, but had to be served with a spoon and was shapeless.

Or do you put it in with chulent in the crockpot? How does that work? Meaning how do you keep it separate from the chulent?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 9:25 pm
anonymom wrote:
Do you put raw kugel batter in the crockpot? I did that once, and it tasted great, but had to be served with a spoon and was shapeless.

Or do you put it in with chulent in the crockpot? How does that work? Meaning how do you keep it separate from the chulent?
I heard that you can put potato kugel batter in a small pan, and then immerse the in the liquid of cholent, without the kugel and chulent actually touching, to cook overnight.
I'm intrigued, and would like to try it one week.
I'll let you all know how it works out.

Pinky

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 9:50 pm
when I mske overnight potato kugel I make the kugel reg. bake it on 450' for about an hour then I seal the pan very very tight on the bottem rack I put a pan of water and on the top rack iput the kugel set the oven on 200/250 and it comes out delicious!!

momomany

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 10:08 pm
my recipe: 1 8x8" pan - preheat oven to 450'
5 large idaho potatos
1 small onion (or 1/4 of a spanish onion)
4 eggs
1/3 - 1/2 cup oil
salt

prepare thursday night:
mix eggs, oil & salt in a bowl
hand grate potatos & onion - or use kugel blade on food processor (tiny holes)
mix everything together & bake one hour uncovered at 450 or until nicely browned & your house smells heavenly!
take kugel out of oven (carefully) & place in 9x13 pan (optional)
pour water (pref. boiling, but any temp will work) into 8x8 kugel pan, as much as the kugel can hold & cover very tightly in two layers of foil.
if you are using an extra 9x13 pan, you can put an inch or two of cold water in that too.
lower oven to 250' & put kugel back in. it will be done in the morning.

note: I prepared all my pesach kugels this way. I baked for 1 hour about a week before pesach & then froze them. The night before I needed the kugel, I took one out of the freezer, covered it with water, covered it tightly with foil & left it in my 250 oven until the daytime seuda - YUM, NO LEFTOVERS AT ALL!!

mominisrael2

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 8:06 am
anonymom wrote:

I don't even try to keep it separate -- just serve it as part of the cholent...sure comes out yummy!!

hycup

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 10:32 am
momomany wrote:
take kugel out of oven (carefully) & place in 9x13 pan (optional)
pour water (pref. boiling, but any temp will work) into 8x8 kugel pan, as much as the kugel can hold & cover very tightly in two layers of foil.

Do you mean you pour the water over the kugel?

How many hours is overnight? Cause on shabbos, if I put it in the oven say 6:30pm right before candle lighting, and we eat next day shabbos lunch at 10:30am - we're talking 16 hours here!!!

momomany

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 10:37 am
yes, pour water over the kugel & 16 hours at 250 will do the trick

hycup

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 10:51 am
thnx for the receipe and clarifing that. B"N going to try it this shabbos.

momomany

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 10:57 am
let me know how you like it......

Pineapple

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 10:26 pm
I have one more question

I will put up in the morning but I will need to take it out to make the chicken (it will have been in the oven for at least 7 hours) - will this be a problem?

Can I just put it back in the oven when the chicken is done to warm up? (I'll keep it covered the whole time)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes