Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby has to fast- tips please!

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Apr 21 2009, 3:52 am
Tipat Chalav and the pediatrician has been keeping an eye on my 8 month old's weight for awhile now. She was sick for several days and actually lost some weight. Now they want us to do blood tests just to make sure there's nothing c"v serious. She needs to fast for 8 hours before the test. The place opens at 6:45 so if we do it right then, she can't eat since 10:45 the night before. On a good night, she'll sleep from 11 to 5 or 6. On a bad night, she'll eat 1-2 times during the night.
Anyone been through something similar? tips on how to keep a baby calm or at least not screaming her head off? (she refuses pacifiers)

Marion

Post Tue, Apr 21 2009, 3:57 am
A total fast or is she allowed water? Who is "they"? The paediatrician or TC? (I tend to take TC with a grain of salt.) What's wrong with her weight generally? And is this your first?

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Apr 21 2009, 3:58 am
I would see what tests they are doing and see if she really needs to fast. Rena was FTT and had a bunch of blood tests between 6 & 12 months and she never had to fast before one.

All my kids have been small and fallen off the growth curve before they find their own curve. Avraham Tzvi was born 3.8 kilo and just yesterday (14 months old) was 8.1 kilo. He went from the 80% to way below the third. But he hit bottom around 8 months and then found his curve.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Apr 21 2009, 4:34 am
Since you don't need an appointment for a blood test, I would wait for a good night if you can.

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Apr 21 2009, 9:55 am
Marion wrote:
A total fast or is she allowed water?

I double checked and she is allowed water although we haven't been able to get her to take a bottle.

[quote="Marion] Who is "they"? The paediatrician or TC? (I tend to take TC with a grain of salt.) [/quote]

TC was concerned but finally acknowledged that since she's at where she should be developmentally (sits nicely, babbles, starting to crawl), it's not the worst thing. Dr now is concerned since her weight went down and no I don't know why he's not taking a 5 day fever into consideration. He wants us to do some tests and then may refer us to a dietician.

Marion wrote:
And is this your first?

This is actually my 2nd but while my older one was also petite, the dr back inToronto wasn't concerned since she was a good eater.

Thanks cat, it's worth trying but since the dr wants to see us back in 2 weeks and to have the tests done by then, there's a limit to how many days we can wait.

Marion

Post Tue, Apr 21 2009, 12:07 pm
So it's basically your first in the TC system. You too will learn not to take them as seriously as they take themselves.

It's nice that you have a thorough paediatrician. (Where are you from in Toronto?) Get her in at 6:45 one morning (if you have a car maybe you or DH can take her for a nice long drive to keep her mind off the fact that she's hungry when she wakes up) and have a bottle or if you're nursing make sure you can do that as soon as they've drawn the blood. It's a bit strange, IMO, that he's insisting on a fasting test for such a small infant, but what do I know?

As to small babies, I'm making DH take Shai for his next shots. I'm hoping that they'll see the genes from Abba and finally figure out that my kids are never going to be on the high end of the weight scale.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics