Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I need back the treadmill!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 4:38 pm
my sister in law took the treadmill from her father's house without asking anyone. she had it in her house then when she decided she didn't want it she gave it to her mother in law. why I don't know. now I was thinking of buying a treadmill for myself but then I reminded myself about the treadmill in that mil's house. my sil is a procrastinator. I doubt she will call her mil to ask her if I can take it. what should I do?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 4:48 pm
The owner has to request it back.

Barbara

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 4:59 pm
amother wrote:
my sister in law took the treadmill from her father's house without asking anyone. she had it in her house then when she decided she didn't want it she gave it to her mother in law. why I don't know. now I was thinking of buying a treadmill for myself but then I reminded myself about the treadmill in that mil's house. my sil is a procrastinator. I doubt she will call her mil to ask her if I can take it. what should I do?

Its not yours to take, and its not yours to ask for from your SIL. If it belonged to HER father, then the only person entitled to ask for it back is HER father. If her father passed away, the correct person would be her mother. If both parents have passed away, then the siblings should discuss the appropriate distribution of things, including the treadmill.

If you really want to start this, then you would need to go to your FIL and ask HIM for the treadmill. Either he'll ask your SIL about it, or he won't.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 5:11 pm
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

Its not yours to take, and its not yours to ask for from your SIL. If it belonged to HER father, then the only person entitled to ask for it back is HER father. If her father passed away, the correct person would be her mother. If both parents have passed away, then the siblings should discuss the appropriate distribution of things, including the treadmill.

If you really want to start this, then you would need to go to your FIL and ask HIM for the treadmill. Either he'll ask your SIL about it, or he won't.

it is probably my husband's now. my fil passed away and my mil didn't want the treadmill. my husband is the only son.

nicole81

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 5:31 pm
amother wrote:
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

it is probably my husband's now. my fil passed away and my mil didn't want the treadmill. my husband is the only son.

wait... what??? are you assuming it's his because he's the only son? daughter's aren't entitled to any property? actually, I would think a daughter would be much more likely to want exercise equipment like that.

anyhow, if your MIL didn't want it and she let her daughter have it, then I think it's safe to assume that the treadmill is your SIL's to do whatever she wants with it. the only option I see here is to have your husband talk to her sister and ask if she still needs it, and if she would mind lending it or giving it to you guys. but really, I don't think you're entitled to much here and are probably SOL.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 5:40 pm
Why don't you call her MIL and ask if she's using it anymore? It seems to me, that it was totally within your SIL's right to take it and give it away if she wanted to.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 5:41 pm
nicole81 wrote:
amother wrote:
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

wait... what??? are you assuming it's his because he's the only son? daughter's aren't entitled to any property? actually, I would think a daughter would be much more likely to want exercise equipment like that.

anyhow, if your MIL didn't want it and she let her daughter have it, then I think it's safe to assume that the treadmill is your SIL's to do whatever she wants with it. the only option I see here is to have your husband talk to her sister and ask if she still needs it, and if she would mind lending it or giving it to you guys. but really, I don't think you're entitled to much here and are probably SOL.

halachically if the father didn't leave a note or something the Yerishe goes to the son. and my sil is not even using it. she gave it away to her mil. nobody gave her permission to do so

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 10:00 pm
wow.

RightOnTarget

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 10:16 pm
At least its only a treadmill ur fighting over. We have it worse - talking about big properties (with no notes left). Does it really belong all to my bros cuz they are sons??????????

nicole81

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 10:27 pm
amother wrote:
nicole81 wrote:
amother wrote:
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

halachically if the father didn't leave a note or something the Yerishe goes to the son. and my sil is not even using it. she gave it away to her mil. nobody gave her permission to do so

I'm assuming you live in the US. when someone dies without a will and there is a dispute over property, the estate goes into probate. this divides the estate very differently than a halachic inheritance, which for the record as a woman I don't like one bit. thank goodness there are valid ways to get around this with a will. I do think it's extremely important for everyone to have a will as to avoid disputes like this. chas v'shalom my kids would one day be fighting over my elliptical trainer Rolling Eyes

so if you're not planning on bringing her to beis din over this "inheritance," besides from having your husband tactfully approach your MIL or SIL and ask to use the equipment, you should just back off. I think the whole idea of you wanting it back, while understandable, is incredibly immature. god forbid I complained that I wanted something from my MIL's house that my SIL wanted (whether for herself or even to give away) my MIL would tell me to get the heck out. you, as the DIL, have no right to anything here. so just ask for a favor from them or give it up!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 11:12 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
wow.
what?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 11:15 pm
nicole81 wrote:
amother wrote:
nicole81 wrote:
amother wrote:
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

I'm assuming you live in the US. when someone dies without a will and there is a dispute over property, the estate goes into probate. this divides the estate very differently than a halachic inheritance, which for the record as a woman I don't like one bit. thank goodness there are valid ways to get around this with a will. I do think it's extremely important for everyone to have a will as to avoid disputes like this. chas v'shalom my kids would one day be fighting over my elliptical trainer Rolling Eyes

so if you're not planning on bringing her to beis din over this "inheritance," besides from having your husband tactfully approach your MIL or SIL and ask to use the equipment, you should just back off. I think the whole idea of you wanting it back, while understandable, is incredibly immature. god forbid I complained that I wanted something from my MIL's house that my SIL wanted (whether for herself or even to give away) my MIL would tell me to get the heck out. you, as the DIL, have no right to anything here. so just ask for a favor from them or give it up!

it is not like my sil wants it. she gave it away. and are you sure I am being immature? it is not like I am asking back a candy or ice cream cone. this is a few hundred dollars. maybe her mil can buy her own treadmill if she wishes to

de_goldy

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 11:20 pm
OP - are you serious or joking?
I think this is the funniest thread yet.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 11:32 pm
I think I'm going to go over to my mil's house and take her recliner just so that we don't have any problems after my fil is 120 in case my sil's decide to get any funny ideas in their head that the recliner should go to them rather then their brothers.
I'm sure my mil will understand...

amother

Post Wed, Apr 22 2009, 11:48 pm
Lechatchila Ariber wrote:
I think I'm going to go over to my mil's house and take her recliner just so that we don't have any problems after my fil is 120 in case my sil's decide to get any funny ideas in their head that the recliner should go to them rather then their brothers.
I'm sure my mil will understand...

ah. that made me feel better. people if you don't have anything to say then don't

leomom

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 1:22 am
OP, why not join Freecycle in your area and post a wanted notice for a treadmill? People are always trying to get rid of large, unused exercise equipment. Or check Craigslist for free or cheap treadmills.

Annoying your in-laws is totally not worth saving a few dollars on a treadmill...

treadmill treadmill treadmill

amother

Post Fri, Apr 24 2009, 9:06 am
great she threw it out a while ago..

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 24 2009, 9:58 am
run around the block a few times ... it'll do you good ...

don't forget by the time the properties are debated and fought over - the estate will be virtually left with nada ...

amother

Post Fri, Apr 24 2009, 10:13 am
greenfire wrote:
run around the block a few times ... it'll do you good ...

don't forget by the time the properties are debated and fought over - the estate will be virtually left with nada ...

nebach he left nothing. he had no property or money. the opposite happened . when he died we had to pay for everything- from his grave to his debts to his bills. he had no life insurance etc etc
I would love to run around but where I live it is considered improper because of men..

wtvr

Post Fri, Apr 24 2009, 12:06 pm
If it was you're fil's then now it's your mil's. (assuming they were married when he died). And if she doesn't want it, she can decide who she wants to give it to. Her son, her daughter, or her next door neighbor.

That being said, if you want it so badly, why don't you ask your mother-in-law if she still has the treadmill. She'll either say, "no, I gave it to sil" or "I gave it to sil, but let me find out if she still needs it". If she offers, good. If not, you can do the same to sil.."Hey, do you still use fil's treadmill, cuz I've been looking into buying one..." She'll either say yes, or no, but I gave it to my mil, or I gave to my mil, let me see if she's still using it.

But you have to ask yourself, is the real issue the treadmill, or do you feel jealous/ cheated and such, b/c sil got s/t from fil, but all you got was nothing, if not less.

I think if it's sincerely the treadmill, and it comes across that way, then go for it. But if there another underlying issue, give it up. It's not worth it.

Oh, and your title makes it see like it once belonged to you, and now you can't get it back.

It never was yours. Remember that. So you don't really have a right to a grudge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette