Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
1 of a few signs of down syndrome

amother

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 6:36 pm
I just went today to a new pedriatician, and she checks everything and all over. My baby is 4 months. BH healthy. She just mentioned that my baby has this straight single crease in the palm of her hand.. so I asked her whats the problem with that.. she said, nothing really only when it comes with other stuff, I didnt get what she means.. but now I checked on line and see that it is one of the signs of down syndrome. So what does it mean if my baby has one of the signs?? does it mean its in my genes... im kind of worried now.
Anyone?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 6:41 pm
I know a man, actually (he is pretty well known because he is famous for his family size) who is perfectly normal and has a perfectly normal life, (aside from the famly size thing LOL but that's not too abnormal in chassidish circles) who has a crease across his palm.

If there are no other signs then you have nothing to worry about

YALT

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 7:06 pm
DD has it. Not just on one hand, but on 2.

DD was rushed for an echo & EKG within 2 hours of being born. She had a murmur, & we were told to keep an eye on it. She also has the almond-shaped eyes, which just so happens to be in the family. We all have that. I was very nervous, and finally, when the dr heard the murmur getting stronger at one visit, I got myself to verbalize my worries to the doctor. To prove to me that she wasn't Downs, he started pointing to her hands - & stopped midsentence. We did all kinds of testing, and she definitely is not Downs, BH. the doctor had never seen such a thing besides for on babies who did have the extra chromosome.
Ever since then, every time I see the doctor, he looks at her hand, checks for the murmur (which stopped at about 5 months) and tells me about more ppl who he's met with the 1 crease.
It used to be the main sign.
Not any more.
Don't worry. Your doctor will def. keep her eyes open for any other sign, but she would've already seen other signs if baby is Downs.
Feel free to PM me with more questions.

sarahla

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 9:02 pm
whats a crease?????

YALT

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 9:38 pm
open your hand most of the way.
you'll see two creases going across your hand. It runs from between the thumb & pointer finger to below the pinky. Sometimes they are 2 parallel creases, and sometimes more like a "Y". The 2 lines run about 2/3-3/4 across the width of the hand, each starting from the other end.
But by a person who has Downs Syndrome (and others, rarely) there is just one line that goes straight across.

Raizle

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 9:42 pm
two? I have 3
my mother used to tell me that it's a lamed and a tof for the aseres hadibros. the first one is kind of off as a lamed however.

YALT

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 9:46 pm
where do you see a lamed & a tof?

some have 2, and some have what looks like 3. both are considered "the norm". Atleast that's how I've been explained.

ChavieK

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 12:29 am
A single crease means absolutly nothing on its own. Actualy surprised a ped would even mention it. It also does not mean anything about your genes. When my son with Down syndrome was born my dad looked at his hands & saw that he has only one crease, we all have small slits of eyes, & I can't remember which grandparent has a space bet toes which is one of the 10 signs they look for. Don't worry about it. 8)

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 5:39 am
One of my kids has this and also another marker,(can't remember which one) She isn't downs.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 7:17 pm

amother

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 7:23 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
One of my kids has this and also another marker,(can't remember which one) She isn't downs.
of course she isn't! no one ever IS, not even children who have down syndrome Wink

to know what I'm on about, see the discussion in this thread
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ight=
fish123's post
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics