Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
2 Tone Challah Recipe?

pinktichel

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 3:36 pm
Anyone know how the bakeries make the dark strands in the 2 tone challahs?

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 4:15 pm
I don't think I ever saw two coloured challas, so I don't really know what you're referring to, but could it be that some are made from white and some from wholemeal flours?

pinktichel

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 4:18 pm
it's darker than wholemeal. It's a dark brown color. Is there another type of flour that would do that?
I'm sure if I melted chocolate and added it the guests would love it but I'm not sure that would work well.

familyfirst

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 4:25 pm
could be white flour, whole wheat flour, and pumpernickel bread flour (flour they use for pumpernickel bread).

saw a beautiful roll at a catered event (by schicks, I think): two strands twisted. one white, one dark brown. gorgeous.

sky

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 4:28 pm
I once saw a bagel store in Baltimore sell a challah like that. One strand of the challah was regular white - I think the other was rye or honey whole weat. It was also a very dark color. Their honey whole wheat and rye bagels are also very dark. I have no clue how they get that color. It is very pretty.

farmom

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 8:32 pm
I had to sign in to give my two cents here. Lots of dark breads at the bakery are made with molasses (in addition to dark flour). That's what gives it the rich color. It's not too healthy, apparently, but bakers use it all the time.

koalamum

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 8:37 pm
I tried to make a 2 tone Challah myself. I used white flour and whole wheat flour. It looked so cool -when it was raw. As soon as I baked it though, the whole Challah took on the same shade of brown! But when it was sliced it did look nice!
The pros probably use pumpernickel flour as it is much darker.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:37 am
thanks for the replies... has anyone out there done it before? I'm getting desperate... running out of time here!

mummy-bh

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 6:03 am
I was looking through the mishpacha 'family first' this week and thought of you!

There was a simple tip for how to make those dark/light challas which I think could be what you were looking for. Basically, you make two batches of dough, one normal and the other one you add caramel colouring to the water before mixing. Then you braid them as you like.

I don't know what caramel colouring is, though!

pinktichel

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 7:20 am
I don't know what caramel coloring is either, but I'm going to start my search!

Unfortunately I didn't figure out how to do two-tone challahs early enough so I just made individual braided ones (took forever to make 50!)

Thanks so much, Mummy-bh! I will save the idea for next time.

happy

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 7:12 pm
This thread is old! Does anyone know if caramel is what the bakery uses to get the dark strand? Or is it a different flour?

koolmother

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 7:51 pm
they use molasses
ive done it in the past and it works, just put it in to your regular challah dough recipe

mom2dkay

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 7:56 pm
I heard of using cocoa. Never tried it though.

Lucky me

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 8:48 pm
its just a color. that you can buy only wholesale. the cocoa is just going to make it bitter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads