Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Donate blood to get out of jury duty?
1  2  Next

sammy

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 2:56 pm
has anyone given blood at jury duty and been excused?

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 3:15 pm
at as in, in the court? no. just bring the birth certs of your kids, you'll be exempt. stick out your stomach a bit.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 3:57 pm
give blood at jury duty?

I have jury duty Monday.

sammy

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 4:21 pm
in nassau courts, they have a place to donate blood. I've heard rumors that if u donate, then they let u go home

skymile

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 5:52 pm
sorry about highjacking your thread- but is it possible to get paid for giving blood from a jewish organization? I would love to get some $$, but I wanna know the blood will go to someone jewish...

op-if ur upset- let me know and I'll just start a new thread...

smilingmom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 6:02 pm
A little off the topic, but why would you want to give up the privilege of Jury Duty.
There are definitely excusable reasons for deferring it, ie babies etc. but if they don't apply why would you try to get out of it your civic responsibility?
Probable scenario : You or someone you know is in a car accident or a victim of a crime. The other person is not Jewish, perhaps of different ethnic background. You have a jury decide your case. How would you feel if all the jurors were the other parties landsman, because every Jew tried to get out of jury duty?

Stop being ingrates. After getting a glimpse of the judicial system in other countries, ie JAPAN. We should all be appreciative of the jury system and serve as jurors with pride.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 6:32 pm
You also have to weigh at least 115 lbs to give blood.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 7:22 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

is there a max ? embarrassed

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 7:38 pm
luv2cook4eva wrote:
sorry about highjacking your thread- but is it possible to get paid for giving blood from a jewish organization? I would love to get some $$, but I wanna know the blood will go to someone jewish...

op-if ur upset- let me know and I'll just start a new thread...

Nah. You can get a certificate for $10 off at KD, or an umbrella or tote bag with the Bikur Cholim symbol of it though.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 8:42 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
at as in, in the court? no. just bring the birth certs of your kids, you'll be exempt. stick out your stomach a bit.

If your kids are all in school already, theres no exemption.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 8:51 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:

Doesnt allways work

First Lady

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 8:58 pm
I would actually love being a juror, but I'm this over emotional reactor so I don't think I'll be a good candidate. I'd probably start crying right away if it's a sad or emotional case (which most are) and they'll just dismiss me.

louche

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 10:25 pm
First Lady wrote:
if it's a sad or emotional case (which most are)

where are you getting this idea from? Jury duty is not like Court TV or LA Law, except for a very few very high-profile cases that you read about in the papers. Most cases in my experience--and I've been getting called like clockwork since Nixon was president--are deadly, and I mean deadly, BORING. Even the criminal cases are often a chore and a bore, though the transparent antics of some of the lawyers are mildly amusing or nauseatingly manipulative, depending on your outlook. The saddest thing is often one or the other lawyer's pathetic attempts to charm the jury. Rather than battling tears, you're more likely to be stifling yawns most of the time. And if it's a civil case, the most likely outcome is that you'll have a jury picked and rarin' to go to trial, and then the parties will settle. Yet the whole charade is necessary, because it's the prospect of actually going to trial, right now, that forces many parties to quit messing around and settle already.

That being said--serving on a jury is both a civic responsibility and a privilege, one that we should cherish as the most glowing symbol of our enviable positions as citizens of one of the greatest countries in the free world. I serve reluctantly, but proudly.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 10:47 am
luv2cook4eva wrote:
And, if God forbid you or one of your loved ones were in an emergency situation where you desperately needed blood immediately, you would only accept from Jewish blood donors, as well?

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 10:50 am
chocolate moose wrote:

110 pounds. And you can't give blood to a specific person if you donate through Red Cross, they send the blood to regions where it's most needed.
Quote:

Can I direct my blood donation to an individual?
Patients scheduled for surgery may be eligible to donate blood for themselves in the weeks before non-emergency surgery in a process known as autologous donation. If an autologous donation is not used, it is discarded. Family members and friends can also make directed donations. Directed donations are fully tested, so if they are not used by the intended patient, they can be released for use by other patients.

http://www.givelife2.org/donor/faq.asp#12

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 10:55 am
It used to be 105.

Fabulous

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:07 am
smilingmom wrote:
A little off the topic, but why would you want to give up the privilege of Jury Duty.
There are definitely excusable reasons for deferring it, ie babies etc. but if they don't apply why would you try to get out of it your civic responsibility?
Probable scenario : You or someone you know is in a car accident or a victim of a crime. The other person is not Jewish, perhaps of different ethnic background. You have a jury decide your case. How would you feel if all the jurors were the other parties landsman, because every Jew tried to get out of jury duty?

Stop being ingrates. After getting a glimpse of the judicial system in other countries, ie JAPAN. We should all be appreciative of the jury system and serve as jurors with pride.

I have always love poly sci and would love to be involved in a case but the one and only time I was called was the second day of summer semester at college. The way the semester works is every day- two is considered a week of classes. If I was forced to miss a whole week, it would be like missing three or more weeks of college. Therefore, I went, but bh I wasn't even called. I was dismissed at around 3:30 p.m.

marina

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:07 am
Clarissa wrote:
luv2cook4eva wrote:
And, if God forbid you or one of your loved ones were in an emergency situation where you desperately needed blood immediately, you would only accept from Jewish blood donors, as well?

Look, just for the record, if I ever need blood, I will only accept blood from russian-jewish-mongolian immigrant females whose first names start with an M. Nothing personal Clarissa. Maybe in your next life you can merit to be one of us.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:12 am
marina wrote:
Clarissa wrote:
luv2cook4eva wrote:

Look, just for the record, if I ever need blood, I will only accept blood from russian-jewish-mongolian immigrant females whose first names start with an M. Nothing personal Clarissa. Maybe in your next life you can merit to be one of us.
You're smart. You wouldn't want mine. It's 93% dissolved refined sugar cane. Whoever has received mine probably bounced off the gurney within minutes of being hooked up.

I was kidding about you being smart. It worked for the post, though.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 7:34 am
I-hope-you'll-love-to-cook-forever: You dont get paid anywhere for donating blood. but if you want to ensure your blood goes to someone jewish, you can donate blood to a blood bank like BP BIkur cholim. My dh signed up with a bikur cholim as a blood donor and he was often called up by them to donate when a case came up that needed blood. He hasnt donated in about 8 years because he works 6 days a week from 9 am to 6 pm, leaving no time for chesed things like that, but before he worked he donated several times a year. it's such a big mitzvah, Id ont think I could ever do it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries