Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
20 Clove Garlic Chicken in the Crockpot
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 12:06 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
Well, I won't make the same mistake twice... I'm still drooling for the garlicy chicken! I bought 2 heads of garlic today and put them in a produce baggie this time. Not as easy for them to disappear! LOL
Lol! How bad could the chicken have been sans the garlic?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 12:11 pm
ra_mom, its not that the chicken was bad, its just that I waaaaaanted the garlic-ey taste! Well, looking forward to trying it again this coming week.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 3:40 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
ra_mom, its not that the chicken was bad, its just that I waaaaaanted the garlic-ey taste! Well, looking forward to trying it again this coming week.
I know the feeling! I crave garlicky/salty foods all the time! Smile

Mimisinger

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 4:01 pm
rice - how to?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 5:06 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
rice - how to?

Crockpot Rice Bag
• 1 cup white rice
• 2½ cups boiling water
• 2 tsp Kosher salt OR 1 tsp table salt
Preparation:
If you are cooking the chicken on HIGH:
One full hour before chicken is ready, pour rice, boiling water from tea kettle, and salt into a crockpot liner/bag. Tie the bag with a knot. Place bag on top of chicken in crockpot. Cover crockpot and continue to cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
If desired, you may pour the onions and/or sauce from the crockpot on top of the white rice.

If you are cooking the chicken on LOW:
One hour and 25 minutes before chicken is ready, pour rice, boiling water from tea kettle, and salt into a crockpot liner/bag. Tie the bag with a knot. Place bag on top of chicken in crockpot. Turn the setting to HIGH. Cover crockpot and continue to cook on HIGH for 1 hour and 25 minutes.

This method works with any crockpot dish. Just keep in mind, that if you are cooking something on LOW for less than 6 hours, the crockpot will not be hot enough for this method to work, even once you switch it to HIGH.

ValleyMom

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 7:02 am
I made it last week with 40 cloves and my family went nuts. They said it wasn't ENOUGH garlic?!!
Those craaaazy kids!

Twoisacharm

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 7:19 am
ok todays the day!!!!!

let me tell u - im planning on borrowing my mothers crockpot and making the chicken with garlic in there for tonight and ALSO sticking chicken in the chulent yummm im salivating already!!!!!!!

dh is waiting for garlic mashed potatoes......hewas carrying on about it last night LOL

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 10:47 am
throw some garlics in the cholent, too. we do that every week and they are so yummmmmy and mellow.

My 2nd attempt at this recipe also didn't come out like I wanted. AAARGH. I think next time I'll try again but make it in the oven. I am a slow cooker novice.

forever21

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:15 am
Doesn't it take forever to peel 20 garlic cloves? Plus all I have is the garlic in a jar in the fridge. Can I use that instead? If so, how much of it?

forever21

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:18 am
I have the minced garlic

pickle321

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:48 am
forever21 wrote:
Doesn't it take forever to peel 20 garlic cloves? Plus all I have is the garlic in a jar in the fridge. Can I use that instead? If so, how much of it?

A trick to peeling garlic, separate the cloves, cut off the ends, throw the cloves in a pot, cover it and shake shake shake, the peels should come right off

pickle321

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:53 am
ra_mom wrote:
Crockpot Rice Bag
• 1 cup white rice
• 2½ cups boiling water
• 2 tsp Kosher salt OR 1 tsp table salt
Preparation:
If you are cooking the chicken on HIGH:
One full hour before chicken is ready, pour rice, boiling water from tea kettle, and salt into a crockpot liner/bag. Tie the bag with a knot. Place bag on top of chicken in crockpot. Cover crockpot and continue to cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
If desired, you may pour the onions and/or sauce from the crockpot on top of the white rice.

If you are cooking the chicken on LOW:
One hour and 25 minutes before chicken is ready, pour rice, boiling water from tea kettle, and salt into a crockpot liner/bag. Tie the bag with a knot. Place bag on top of chicken in crockpot. Turn the setting to HIGH. Cover crockpot and continue to cook on HIGH for 1 hour and 25 minutes.

This method works with any crockpot dish. Just keep in mind, that if you are cooking something on LOW for less than 6 hours, the crockpot will not be hot enough for this method to work, even once you switch it to HIGH.

Can this be done with brown rice?

pickle321

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:55 am
Thanks to whoever bumped this thread, I can't wait to try this recipe

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:55 am
I would use the whole cloves if possible. If not, then maybe 2 tbsp of the minced jarred garlic (1 tbsp if fresh minced). Rub into the chicken along with the oil, salt, pepper, paprika...

forever21

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 5:57 am
Yw pickle Wink and thanks for the tip!
Ra mom, I'm going to buy the cloves and make the chicken soon. Thanks!

Amarante

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:15 am
I peel garlics easily by crushing the clove with the side of my chef's knife - the peels then slip off easily. You just use the heel of your hand to put pressure on the clove. Rinsing my hands with cold water helps because the skins can get a bit sticky.

Chickpea

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:50 am
ra_mom, this recipe sounds delish! One question: I know chicken is more flavorful with the skin left on, but do you think it will come out bad if I remove the skin before I make it? It's just that I'm trying to avoid all the fat that will end up on the bottom with all the caramelized onions.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:54 am
Chickpea wrote:
ra_mom, this recipe sounds delish! One question: I know chicken is more flavorful with the skin left on, but do you think it will come out bad if I remove the skin before I make it? It's just that I'm trying to avoid all the fat that will end up on the bottom with all the caramelized onions.

Definitely remove the skin. There is no point in having skin on chickencooked in the crockpot. All you get is way too much fat from the skin and a soggy mess from the skin. When you roast chicken with skin, skin gets crispy and keeps the meat from drying out.

But keeping skin in crockpot chicken has no purpose.

etky

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 8:54 am
Amarante wrote:
Definitely remove the skin. There is no point in having skin on chickencooked in the crockpot. All you get is way too much fat from the skin and a soggy mess from the skin. When you roast chicken with skin, skin gets crispy and keeps the meat from drying out.

But keeping skin in crockpot chicken has no purpose.

Maybe holding it together?

Amarante

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:00 am
etky wrote:
Maybe holding it together?

The skin doesn't hold the chicken together. Very Happy Not sure if you are being serious. No point at all in keeping skin on chicken cooked in the crockpot - it becomes a rubbery inedible substance and just adds needless fat to the food. Feh. Tongue Out

I do a "rotisserie" chicken in the crockpot and remove the skin as well.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey