Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Do you mend tights/pantyhose/socks?
1  2  Next

kitov

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 9:39 pm
At what point do you get rid of torn leg wear, and which of the above mentioned do you bother to repair?

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 10:18 pm
If it has a hole or run it goes straight into the garbage.

Mommastuff

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 10:28 pm
Pantyhose I get rid of if there's a run that goes into the exposed area. I try to stop runs with nail polish but only if it's on an area under clothing. I hate snags and wouldn't wear those again. Unfortunately I get a lot of those with kids climbing on my lap! Rolling Eyes

For tights, I would sew up a small hole, again only in an inconspicuous area.

Socks? hmm.. I think I'd get rid of them.

Happy Mom

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 5:20 pm
Socks and tights are quick and easy to repair, so it's worth the two minutes to do it - fix them right away when the holes are minor. I've saved plenty by repairing holes in both of these over the years - kids can destroy socks fast without quickie repairs to extend their life! Pantyhose - why bother? I can't think how to repair them well without it showing, it would end up running the very next time right where it was fixed even if I could figure it out, and it would take a long time to repair them well. (That's assuming it was a run that was visible - I guess if it was high up you could fix it.)

Martini

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 5:26 pm
Honestly I hate patched up tights. Once I bought tights for my 3 yr old, it was $12 and supposed to last forever. The second time she wore it, it got a huge hole so I decided to sew it up. Bottom line, it got runs from all sides when I put it on the next time that I just threw it out! lol

Happy Mom

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 8:57 pm
It depends on the thickness of the tights - I've had the same thing you describe happen with thin tights and I also don't like that. So those aren't worthwhile to fix. But if you buy the opaque ones from Hanes or something equivalent, they don't run at all after you fix them, and they last forever.

queen

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 12:20 am
I've darned a few of my kids winter tights recently as I had them matching up with outfits and didn't want to be down a pair---- or have to find replacements.

Worked fine as long as hold (mending) wasn't on the area of bottom of foot. When it was, the stitching area bothered my daughter.

As far as me personally- when I was single I used to do the following, however now married, as soon as my tights/stockings get a run they are thrown out. I don't think twice about it.

I basically wear the same manufacturer/color tights, so when I'd get a run on a leg- I'd just cut off that leg of the tights--- around the top of my thigh area, but leaving the top "underwear" part and the remaining leg of the tights.

This way I had a collection of one-legged tights.... and I'd just put on two pairs (really I only had two tops of the tights on as the bottom- each pair was missing one leg) ------- to the public it appeared as if I had only one pair on.

(to explain better--- once stocking got cut, all that was left was the top underwear part, and one leg. So when dressing, I'd put on two pairs of tights... but I only had two legs. One for right, one for left)

I hope I am making myself clear as I'm sure to some this is a good idea, and could help them save money. Again, this worked for me bec. I only bought one kind/color of tights. If you have a whole spectrum of nude colors and buy diff. makes, matching up two pairs will become too much of a hassle.

If the above tip helps anyone, I'd be tickled if they'd PM me Queen

GAMZu

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 1:23 am
Queen, your idea is brilliant!
I don't know if I'd do it because I hate layers on my body, so the extra panty part would be bothersome, but it's good to keep in mind. Smile

Martini

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 11:26 am
Queen, what an idea!! I would be too lazy to pull up those tights twice!!! lol

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 11:27 am
If it's torn then it goes bye bye. If there is a small run in a non-visable area then I put clear nail polish.

grin

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 11:31 am
I used to use queen's idea but it was too uncomfortable and tight to wear 2 underwear parts on top of each other.

I do mend the girls' thick winter tights; socks aren't worth it.

queen

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 11:57 am
I wear the thin natural colored tights, not control tops- so wearing two 'underwear' parts feels no diff. than wearing one pair.

To the poster who said she'd have no patience pulling up two pairs- I don't. I am only putting on two 'underwear' parts, however each 'underwear' only has one leg that needs to be pulled up--- which is the same as 'regular' tights

Queen

Martini

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 12:05 pm
queen wrote:
I wear the thin natural colored tights, not control tops- so wearing two 'underwear' parts feels no diff. than wearing one pair.

To the poster who said she'd have no patience pulling up two pairs- I don't. I am only putting on two 'underwear' parts, however each 'underwear' only has one leg that needs to be pulled up--- which is the same as 'regular' tights

Queen

I gotch ya! But pulling up the underwear part twice... not for me. But it really is a great idea for those of you who don't mind....

Blair

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 12:14 pm
Straight to the trash bin I have more important things to do then sew tights and socks.

Martini

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 12:20 pm
Blair wrote:
Straight to the trash bin I have more important things to do then sew tights and socks.

For instance.... checking what's new on imamother! lol

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 12:28 pm
No but I wear them to the death !

skymile

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 1:03 pm
I ALWAYS mend dh's socks! what I do, is I make tiny stitches all around the hole, and then sew them together. I also remove all lint and pimples. all his socks are (almost) a year old and still look like new.
dh actually walked in while I was doing his socks. he said "NOW I understand why it takes you 2 hrs to fold laundry"! Very Happy

Blair

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 1:05 pm
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

skymile

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 1:12 pm
Rolling Eyes 2 u 2!!

Tila

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 1:14 pm
I have sewen leggings, and thick tights. I will put aside panty hose to use as rope. I will throw away socks once the holes are too uncomfy. If I sew those, then there will be an annoying rib.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains