Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pumping woes
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

chavamom

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 2:02 am
It sounds like you have a pumping problem, not a supply problem though. Domperidone/motilium helps more with supply issues. If you have a pumping problem, the oxytocin nasal spray will help that. It allows you to 'let down' the milk that you have there.

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 2:04 am
What is oxytocin nasal spray? is it prescription? I've never heard of it.

queen

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 2:12 am
anonymous- you and I sound like two peas in a pod.
Am recovering still from the most horrendous day.
(background: baby refuses bottle, so she's exclusively breast fed. I don't pump well so that's not an option. LC have told me some ppl just can't pump. well, you're looking at one)

baby not growing as fast as Dr. wants and said I have to force the bottle as baby NEEDS those calories. I fed her at 10:15 this morning, and then had to push the bottle for up to 6 hours, not feeding her that entire time.... as by then hopefully, according to dr. baby would be hungry enough to drink formula.

I knew she wouldn't take after 6 hours, but with the help of Hashem, my babysitter, my babysitters daughters we made it through 6 hours of trying. but baby still refused bottle.

called doctor who after asking certain pointed Q's said if I'm able to, to continue.

Finally at 7:15 baby finished up the grand amount for the day of formula: 6 ounces. was like pulling teeth.

she still doesn't want bottle but hopefully each day will get easier.

at midnight I fed her, and then now just pumped.
ALL I GOT WAS 1 OUNCE!!!!!!

my eyes are closing, can't even figure out if I'm making any sense.... so to bed I go- but wanted to let you know anonymous that I und'd what you're going through.

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 2:39 am
I understand domperidone increases overall milk supply. but by virtue of the fact that there is more milk there wouldn't that mean the milk by pumping will be increased as well?

suomynona

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 2:41 am
Queen,
oy! that sounds a lot worse than me. At least I get more than 1 oz.
Good luck with the bottle!

I actually just posted on one of your old threads asking you what you did in the end.
So it sounds like you nurse exclusively? So what do you do about your baby going to the babysitter?

I want to hear from anyone who gave formula once a day - if it affected their milk supply or not.
I will definitely try to get the spray first, though. But I feel like I don't have that much time. In case it doesn't work, I can't keep on sending my son to the babysitter with too little milk.

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 3:21 am
Just cked with coworker who gives one materna a day. she pumps twice at work and finds that the main thing affecting her supply is what she eats. when she eats alot she gets more and vice versa. you can also try the drink shkaidia, never tried it myself but heard its good.

suomynona

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 3:47 am
Thanks, MDM.
What is shkaidia & why does it help? Sounds like something with almonds?

Can you ask your coworker how long she has to eat before she starts pumping? Like, if I eat 5 min. before I pump will that help? Or does the food have to digest? Also, does she eat specfic foods?
Maybe that is part of my problem. I am sort of on a diet. I'm not that strict about sticking to the rules, but I am losing weight from it. Maybe I'm just not having enough calories. But regular nursing doesn't seem to be affected, so I don't know...

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 4:07 am
You're right, shkaidia is an almond drink mix. I have heard recommended almonds and also malt beer (w\o alchohol). I think bec these are fatty foods they make more milk.
My coworker says she eats right b/4 pumping and also waits 3 hrs bet with drinking lots of water. for ex she said when she eats chicken soup she gets a lot adn I think this is prob bec of the fat and water content.
they say you shouldn't diet too much while nursing (I think baby takes at least an extra 500 calories a day or s/t like that) and bec pumping doesn't extract as much milk as nursing I think its possible to have enough for nursing but not pumping.
I think I had this as well but I'm not into natural anything so I'm just taking the medicine (and drinking water but I don't really have time to eat b/4 pumping).

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 10:38 am
Yes, it's important to keep hydrated.

Also, if I have a problem with a let down, I take a sllow, deep breath in, and exhale slowly -- it works almost every time!

Compression (as defined by Dr, Jack Newman) also helps -- using this method, you basically squeeze out what you have there.

And I still maintain (this is the hardest thing to do, but very beneficial) keep pumping after your milk stops coming out for a couple minutes -- you'll usually have a second let down, and your supply will come back up for the next nursing session.

Another thing: does one side pump better than another? Many women have an overactive milk ejection reflex (OMER) or one side that just "pours out". If so, pump from that side, and nurse from the other. You'll get more milk faster, and your baby will be more content while nursing!

I realized I didn't address a very important issue about flying -- do you realize if you give bottles (regardless of what's in them), you'll be uncomfortably full? You MUST nurse on the plane or express your milk some other way -- but nursing is by far the easiest Smile

As far as nursing babies not liking forumla: well, you're meeting one. My mother tried giving me forumla once, and I refused it Very Happy Forumla does not taste anything as good as mother's milk as far as most babies are concerned.

chavamom

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 2:00 pm
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
I understand domperidone increases overall milk supply. but by virtue of the fact that there is more milk there wouldn't that mean the milk by pumping will be increased as well?

Nope, you could have all the milk in the world, but if you don't 'let down' the milk, it will stay in your breasts.

chavamom

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 2:04 pm
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
What is oxytocin nasal spray? is it prescription? I've never heard of it.

Yes, it is a prescription. Oxytocin is the hormone that they use to induce labor (syntocin or pitocin), and it is also the hormone that causes a milk 'let down'. they used to prescribe the nasal spray a lot for women with 'nursing issues', but it rarely helps for that. HOWEVER, they did find that it could help some women to pump. They will sometimes prescribe it to women who are pumping for premies who aren't nursing at all (yet).

queen

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 2:24 pm
anonymous- I see I posted the following response in the wrong thread... so quoting it here!

Quote:
Quote:
suomynona wrote:
Queen,
Do you mind letting us know what worked out for you in the end?
If you gave forumula once a day, did it affect your milk supply at all?

anonymous- just fully reading this thread and I see your mentioning that you posted a Q on another thread of mine- I'm sorry never saw it as I am reading a lot less these days as very busy with baby and work.

however in answer to your Q- I had the SAME Q, asking doctor what will be with my milk supply and what do I do at babysitter.....

was told if it will give me peace of mind and make a big diff. to me- they don't see anything wrong with giving ONE bottle at sitter- which in my case is only 4 times a week. (total of 4 bottles a week) and that it shouldn't effect milk supply.

However my supply isn't that great to begin with.... so it's hard for me to tell, plus she began refusing bottle at approx 14 weeks so I've JUST been feeding her from then until now.

She goes to babysitter four times a week- but I have to run feed her as soon as she's hungry, and makes my working schedule VERY hard due to this. I was willing to have it hard if this is what the baby prefered, however once doctors were concerned about her weight I don't have a choice but HAVE to force her to take bottle

as I mentioned earlier in this thread- had a VERY hard day yesterday but bH bli ayin hora we might have JUST broken through as my friend's mil offered to try giving bottle to baby this morning (as from mother/me baby wont take) and within one hour baby drank 5.5 ounces. UNBELIEVABLE. also, I just pumped now and got 1.75 ounces. (improvement there too)

am waiting for call back from Dr. to know what to do with next feeding- bottle or nurse.

anonymous- if you want to ask me further specific Q's the best is to PM me with your Q or a link where you want me to read.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

suomynona

Post Sat, Mar 11 2006, 4:29 pm
Update: A lactation consultant that I e-mailed responded back to me that my baby shouldn't need more than 4 oz. per feeding & if he's eating more, it's because he likes to suck & the milk finishes too fast from a bottle. She said that I should use slow-flow nipples, a cup, or comfort him in other ways such as rocking etc.
I will try to find slow flow nipples, but how do I tell the babysitter to keep on holding him & that he's not really hungry even though she thinks he is!
(Assuming this LC is right).

I send at least 4 oz. to the babysitter. Usually more like 5.

chavamom

Post Sat, Mar 11 2006, 9:04 pm
suomynona wrote:
Update: A lactation consultant that I e-mailed responded back to me that my baby shouldn't need more than 4 oz. per feeding & if he's eating more, it's because he likes to suck & the milk finishes too fast from a bottle. She said that I should use slow-flow nipples, a cup, or comfort him in other ways such as rocking etc.
I will try to find slow flow nipples, but how do I tell the babysitter to keep on holding him & that he's not really hungry even though she thinks he is!
(Assuming this LC is right).

I send at least 4 oz. to the babysitter. Usually more like 5.

Oh good! I'm so sorry, but I thought you said you only got 1 -2 oz. I've posted on a few threads already a link to www.kellymom.com which has a calculator for how much pumped milk your baby needs per feeding based on number of feedings, etc. Usually only about 3 -4 oz! Personally, I use the Avent newborn slow-flow nipples (the one with only 1 hole) and find they work great for breastfed babies.

happymom

Post Sat, Mar 11 2006, 10:19 pm
deleted

Last edited by happymom on Sat, Mar 11 2006, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

happymom

Post Sat, Mar 11 2006, 10:19 pm
im sorry but imo 4 months is way to young to start solids! babies dont need solids till at least 6 months! most dont even till 8 months, especially nursing babies!

also, it must be hard, but thats just one of the side affects of working with a baby...

suomynona

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 4:20 am
chavamom wrote:

Oh good! I'm so sorry, but I thought you said you only got 1 -2 oz. I've posted on a few threads already a link to www.kellymom.com which has a calculator for how much pumped milk your baby needs per feeding based on number of feedings, etc. Usually only about 3 -4 oz! Personally, I use the Avent newborn slow-flow nipples (the one with only 1 hole) and find they work great for breastfed babies.

Well I get between 1.5 and 3 oz per pumping, but I pump 2x for every bottle I send to the babysitter.

Well what if the babysitter calls me that my son is hungry, like she did twice last week after I fed him right before he left & plus he ate a 4-5 oz. bottle at the babysitter. I don't think she would appreciate me telling her that she should hold him because he's not really hungry even though she thinks he is.
In any case, I think he may have been going through a growth spurt last week. So we'll see what happens this week. My baby is going to the babysitter only twice this week because of Purim, so I have more days to stock up milk. I guess I'll push off worrying about it 'til next week.

suomynona

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 4:21 am
Do the slow-flow nipples come with the Avent bottles? Maybe that is what I already have. I don't remember seeing more than one hole in the nipple.

chavamom

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 12:26 pm
suomynona wrote:
Do the slow-flow nipples come with the Avent bottles? Maybe that is what I already have. I don't remember seeing more than one hole in the nipple.

There are two kinds of Avent nipples. One is the 'variable flow' which has a slit like this: l . You vary the flow rate by how you hold it. Then there are the slow, medium and fast flow. The slow has one hole like this * , the medium has 2 holes like this : and the fast is 3 holes like this *: . HOpe that made sense!

nicole81

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 12:40 pm
if you bought the 4 oz bottles, they come with the slow flow nipples. but if you bought the 9 oz, then they come with stage 2.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics