Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Confused about kishka- need help today!
1  2  Next

sarahmalka

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 5:58 am
First time making kishka and I want to make it homemade and put it in the cholent. Do I bake the cholent first and THEN put in cholent wrapped in foil? Or put in cholent wrapped in foil but not baked? Does it really need to be wrapped in foil, or parchment paper, or can it go straight into the cholent?

Help the newbie! Wink

pinktichel

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 6:02 am
you can wrap it in foil (if you don't, it will fall apart) and drop it into the raw cholent. Turn on the crockpot. That's it! Wink

sarahmalka

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 6:07 am
pinktichel wrote:
you can wrap it in foil (if you don't, it will fall apart) and drop it into the raw cholent. Turn on the crockpot. That's it! Wink

Thanks for the quick response pinktichel! I assume you mean put it in the cholent without needing to bake the kishka first... you make it sound easy!

Liba

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 6:12 am
You don't have to bake it.

I have no mazel with aluminum foil in my cholent. The cholent eats through it and I get foil flakes in everything! Sad

I either use parchment paper if I am in a health conscious mood or a small plastic oven roasting or crockpot liner bag, but have also found the Israeli food storage bags don't melt in the cholent pot. Wink

The top of the kishka may get dried out a bit in the parchment paper.

SingALong

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 9:04 am
I bake it first, wrapped in parchment paper, I think it helps prevent it from falling apart. I keep it wrapped in the parchment paper when I put it in the cholent.

sarahmalka

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 11:38 am
Thanks for all of your help! Hope it turns out well...
Good Shabbos!

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 12:13 pm
I bake it completely and then put it in the cholent right before shabbos.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 12:59 pm
I bake completely in the oven in foil, and put into the cholent crockpot -- with no wrapping -- before Shabbos. BTW, kishke keeps very well (well, mine does, anyway). I can refrigerate extra loaves for a few weeks, or freeze for months.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 2:52 pm
Liba - how are you ?!?!?! good to see you posting Mr. Green

bake it before then add to the cholent - parchment paper tied in string is way better than aluminum ...

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 4:08 pm
is the only mayleh to baking is so it doesn't fall apart ?

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 4:32 pm
I actually prefer it not put in the cholent at all. I'll put half of it in the cholent - after the kishke is cooked so that it dissolves in, but I usually just warm it shabbos day on the blech.

devy88

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 1:53 pm
I make my own kishka with the primary ingredients being flower, water and oil. I don't bake it at all, nor do I wrap it in silver foil or any kind of paper. I just plop it in and so far have never had it fall apart on me.

Martini

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 2:28 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
is the only mayleh to baking is so it doesn't fall apart ?

I don't bake it before I put it into the Chulent, I only wrap it in silver foil or parchment paper and NEVER did it fall apart yet....

Fabulous

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 2:32 pm
I wrap in parchment, freeze, then take off parchment and put it directly in the chulent.

el2cg

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 4:47 pm
I put my raw kishka into a ziplock bag into the freezer ( so it gets a "shape"). when its semi frozen, I put it into the cholent without anywrapping. it never fell apart yet...
the consistancy of the kishka before freezing is like play-doh.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 4:53 pm
devy88 wrote:
I make my own kishka with the primary ingredients being flower, water and oil. I don't bake it at all, nor do I wrap it in silver foil or any kind of paper. I just plop it in and so far have never had it fall apart on me.
That's what I do! Same ingredients too, besides spices. I put it in while the cholent is boiling, turn it once after a while, or before putting on the blech, so that it's in the boiling water/cholent on both sides. Then leave it to it's own devices.

but I'm wondering what people do with the store-bought kind, do they keep it in it's casing with the printed label? I peel that off, and it might fall apart a little bit, but most is still together. Even if it falls apart, it's still good.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 5:33 pm
I buy my kishke from the store. I take off the casing, wrap it in foil and put it on top of the cholent, still frozen.

To Liba - what kind of aluminum foil are you using? I've never ever had a prob. with Reynolds..could that be your problem?

cookielady

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 8:58 pm
I bake it, wrapped in parchment paper. I then put it in the cholent (in the parchment paper) before Shabbos. It seems just wrong to have foil cooking in the cholent.

catonmylap

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 9:55 pm
I bake it first.

I make a double recipe, consisting of 4 small rolls, and I bake them. Then I put one in cholent and 3 in the freezer. On subsequent weeks, it goes straight from the freezer to the cholent pot.

mommalah

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 7:01 pm
Can anyone post a recipe for kishke?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus