Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Xylitol vs stevia?

rae

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 10:51 pm
Does anyone know the difference health wise between xylitol and stevia? They are both supposed to be alternatives to sugar. I'ld love to know if they are really healthy and if they have any side effects-thanx

amother

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 2:20 pm
Stevia is a plant extract. Xylitol is made from corn and hardwood extracts. Don't know much other than that.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 2:26 pm
I just bought a bottle of stevia this week and you know what? It's not half bad, even in my coffee.
I think that Stevia is meant to be the healthiest sweetner. Xylitol is in chewing gum I think. As a matter of fact, all the words that end in "tol" like maltitol and others are meant to be less harmful to the teeth than sugar, but I think that they can cause stomach cramps. I would definitely go with the Stevia.

Butterfly

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 11:32 pm
I used to use stevia for years, even in most of my cooking, where sugar was required.. my children and guests never new.. LOL
If you buy a good quality brand, the taste can be quite close to real sugar, but there is a bit of an aftertaste, though.
I recently switched to xylitol. The tastes are not to compare. Xylitol tastes exactly like real sugar, without any aftertaste at all.
Healthwise, both have good benefits. Both are considered safe for diabetics.. (please check with Dr. just to be on the safe side)
The stevia is derived from a plant, and contains many valuable nutrients, while xylitol is derived from corncobs and birch trees. Xylitol has some beneficial anti-bacterial benefits. Physicians are using xylitol to reduce the symptoms of middle ear infections (otitis media)-particularly in children.
The health benefits of xylitol extend to dental use as well., inhibiting the ability of bacteria to adhere to the teeth.

mandksima

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 1:17 am
Try agave syrup in tea or coffee. It is a sweetener from a cactus plant that is low on the gylcemic index and also okay for diabetics. It can also be used in baking as you would use honey. I believe it is the healthiest. Stevia has not been found to be safe in pregnancy as it has not had proper testing. I also like the taste better than stevia.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 2:17 am
I'm noticing an aftertaste now with the Stevia after drinking it in my coffee.
In tea it's fine though.
So, what should I try for my coffee? Xylitol? It doesn't cause cramps?

mummy-bh

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 6:06 am
I once baked a cake with xylitol and applesauce (in place of the oil). I had terrible stomach cramps after eating, although maybe in smaller amounts it might be okay.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 6:08 am
Oh, forget it. No way will I use something that upsets the stomach.
BTW I had a yogurt with stevia just now and it was FINE. I would love to go off sweetners altogether but I just can't eat certain things (like coffee and yogurt) without.

Butterfly

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 1:00 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
I'm noticing an aftertaste now with the Stevia after drinking it in my coffee.
In tea it's fine though.
So, what should I try for my coffee? Xylitol? It doesn't cause cramps?

I use it xylitol all the time, plus in cooking and baking, and have never experienced any stomach cramps from it.
BTW, I have a very sensitive digestive system.. Wink

willow

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 2:11 am
mandksima the only thing is with agave syrup it has calories and op is looking for no calorie sweetner

mandksima

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 2:19 am
willow wrote:
mandksima the only thing is with agave syrup it has calories and op is looking for no calorie sweetner

true, but at 20 calories per teaspoon it shouldn't affect a diet. I use stevia too, just not when pregnant or nursing and not too much.

rae

Post Sat, May 16 2009, 11:46 pm
thanks everyone, I've been using stevia for over a year now. I'm just scared that I'm using too much. I've also used it while nursing my baby, I didn't think that it's a problem. Why can't u use it while nursing or pregnant?

mandksima

Post Sun, May 17 2009, 1:57 am
I'm not saying it is harmful but you should know that stevia's molecular structure resembles a steroid and while some help your body, others do not and I wouldn't personally use something during pregnancy/nursing that is unproven in how it affects humans as a steroid. In really tiny amounts, it should be fine though.

Xylitol, like other sugar alcohols, are incompletely absorbed by the intestines are not good for those suffering from any intestinal problems. If they are over-consumed, they have a strong laxative effect. I, personally, can't tolerate them because of that.

I also wouldn't recommend overdoing it with agave syrup as in small amounts it benefits the digestive track but in large doses it can raise cholesterol levels and cause fatty liver disease.

Nutrasweet (aspertame) I would not touch with a ten foot poll. Splenda (sucralose) too.

Basically, no sweetener is perfect. I would suggest avoiding baked goods rather than attempt to bake with large amounts of any of these. That may be hard for most, I assume.

rae

Post Sun, May 17 2009, 4:03 pm
thanks mandksima, now I am getting nervous, I've been off sugar for a year now and I have been using stevia in all my teas and yogurts while nursing my now 16 month old baby. She seems to be handling it just fine. I am going to stop now, but what side effects do I look out for now or in the future. On a side note, I just started drinking diet soda again after a year and while I haven't gained any weight on a scale, I am so bloated now. I feel like it poofed me up. Time to quit for good.

mandksima

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 2:04 am
rae wrote:
thanks mandksima, now I am getting nervous, I've been off sugar for a year now and I have been using stevia in all my teas and yogurts while nursing my now 16 month old baby. She seems to be handling it just fine. I am going to stop now, but what side effects do I look out for now or in the future. On a side note, I just started drinking diet soda again after a year and while I haven't gained any weight on a scale, I am so bloated now. I feel like it poofed me up. Time to quit for good.

Sorry, I don't want you to feel nervous as it is not a bad sweetener per say, just undocumented how safe it might be in the long run and best not to test it out on babies who are most susceptible. I also use it, just not exclusively. I don't think you can look out for side effects, there might not be any.I'm sure your baby is perfectly healthy. My warning was just meant to not treat the herb stevia as the herb parsley that can be consumed in great quantities. Just because it is sold in the health food store, doesn't mean it is safe for massive consumption.

It hard to do away with all that is bad for us. If you can drink water, that is the best. Diet drinks and sodas as well as regular are really terrible for us. Many don't do well with the bubbles.

rae

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 6:53 pm
thanks, I guess I was treating it like parsley. Truth is anything in large quantities is not good for you. appreciate your help.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 3:57 am
I have IBS, and I was using xylitol in my coffee in the morning. Even 1/2 a teaspoon was enough to keep me in the bathroom half the day, and gave me horrible smelling gas! I didn't even realize that the xylitol was the problem until my doctor gave me a list of things to avoid eating. I quit the xylitol and my tummy troubles got 80% better within the first 24 hours.

Health is a Virture

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 4:20 am
mandksima wrote:
perfectly healthy. My warning was just meant to not treat the herb stevia as the herb parsley that can be consumed in great quantities. Just because it is sold in the health food store, doesn't mean it is safe for massive consumption.

actually too much parsley will cause one's milk supply to drop. (I only need a little bit and I see a change in my milk supply!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise