Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Previous  1  2

Fabulous

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 6:22 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Fabulous wrote:
From the spice and spirit:

1 lb ground beef
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 onion grated
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp. oregano

sauce:
1 cup (8 oz. can) jellied cranberry sauce
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. lemon juice

Bring the sauce to a boil and mix to smooth. Add meatballs and simmer for an hr.

Thank you so much! I will try this one night for supper!

I really don't have too many cookbooks. I hardly use the ones I do have. But the one cookbook I bought (for a fortune too) after I got married was this cookbook from the recommendations of many imamothers. And I gotta say, it was worth it. Regular cooking I don't do too much from there but for something interesting and y't (last year sukkos it saved the day, no inspiration).

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 6:29 pm
I took it out of the library once, but I didn't get enough time with it. I'll take it out again and then decide. I always try a few recipes from a cookbook before I invest. I only have 3 cookbooks because of this.
I take a lot of recipes from online searches as well. Once you're comfortable with food, you can usually tell by the make-up of the recipe, if you will like it.
My SIL bought me a cookbook for a bridal shower gift, and told me that she loved to cook from it. Once I browsed it, I realized that it was not my taste at all. I tried one recipe and it was gross. (Mayo in sesame chicken? Have you ever? I should have realized that it would be gross, but I was newly married and was desperate to find an easy sesame chicken recipe to please dh.)
Later on, I found 1 recipe that I really liked in there, but that's it. (It was a chicken salad recipe that I was looking for for the longest amount of time. I had a taste of it at an old friends' years ago, and I had lost the recipe. Lo and behold, this cookbook, which came out after I had tried that salad, had the recipe!)
I later gave the cookbook to my MIL, as she told me that she wanted to buy it.

mother2b

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 10:13 am
What kind of vegetable is good to go next to these sweet and sour meatballs?

rachel19977

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 5:59 am
chanchy123 wrote:
freidasima wrote:
OK now for those of us who don't use prepared products...how does one make this one without cranberry sauce?

My mother's Israelized sweet and sour meatballs
1/2 kg ground beef
mush with ketchup and garlic
set aside

in pot combine
1/3 large can tomato sauce with about half a cup of water (I use crushed tomatoes)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup or less brown sugar (could be subbed with honey, jam, sweet chili sauce, etc)
1-2 big gulps of sweet red wine (grape juice works just as well)
some soy sauce.
Bring sauce to a boil and form balls out of meat mixture, cover the pot and let simmer for about 30 min. before serving.
A staple in our family on friday nights (at my parents and in my own home).

Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe! I was looking all over for Cranberry sauce and couldn't find it! Maybe around thanksgiving time in Israel they'll have it. ANYHOW these came out SUPURB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used grapejuice, 1/2 a can of crushed tomatos.... some ketchup! YUM thanks for saving the Shabbat
meatballs and they were also a great leftovers!!! mmhmm!

ectomorph

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 11:24 am
chanchy123 wrote:
My mother's Israelized sweet and sour meatballs
1/2 kg ground beef
mush with ketchup and garlic
set aside

in pot combine
1/3 large can tomato sauce with about half a cup of water (I use crushed tomatoes)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup or less brown sugar (could be subbed with honey, jam, sweet chili sauce, etc)
1-2 big gulps of sweet red wine (grape juice works just as well)
some soy sauce.
Bring sauce to a boil and form balls out of meat mixture, cover the pot and let simmer for about 30 min. before serving.
A staple in our family on friday nights (at my parents and in my own home).
I forgot the soy sauce. Can I add it now that it's all done or is it too late?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 11:32 am
Anyone know?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 11:55 am
I would.

2cents

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:07 pm
Fabulous wrote:
as I stated above, it was delish! It freezes very well too.

Had to bump the thread to ask...I'm doubling this now and want freeze some. Am I better off freezing the meatballs raw, or better off making it fully with sauce and all then freezing it like that?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 3:29 pm
2cents wrote:
Had to bump the thread to ask...I'm doubling this now and want freeze some. Am I better off freezing the meatballs raw, or better off making it fully with sauce and all then freezing it like that?

Make it fully and freeze it ready.

2cents

Post Tue, Jan 26 2021, 4:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Make it fully and freeze it ready.

Thanks!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics