Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Difference btw active and ADD/HD in toddlers

Flowerpot

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 10:04 pm
I'm starting to get worried that something is wrong with my dd she's 1 years old now and can't sit still for a moment. she loves children and goes crazy when she see's on. she unpacks the whole house in no time going from one thing to the next. when she gets excited she screams her lungs out.
is this noemal or what?

chavamom

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 11:05 pm
Some toddlers are more active than others. It doesn't mean ADHD. They don't usually diagnose ADHD until the child is in school if such "activity" is keeping them from learning or affecting their social interactions negatively.

BTW - your dd sounds extremely normal. That's just what one year-olds do. If you told me she sat in a corner and didn't interact with children around her, *then* I'd be worried (and not about ADHD).

Flowerpot

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 12:09 am
her age children are scared of her she plays well with 2 year old's. my friends that have this age are not like this at all

Flowerpot

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 12:12 am
I'm also worried since a few of my family have add. and I was a lot on my cell during labor if that't true to harm.

cassandra

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 12:15 am
The earliest they'll diagnose ADD is 6 (5 in extreme cases) so there isn't much they can do now, unless you think she has some sensory issues and then you'd want an OT evaluation. If not just enjoy your toddler and don't worry yet.

Flowerpot

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 12:32 am
I wish I can give her something to calm her down (she does't get sugary junk)

JewishMother18

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 12:38 am
is she an only child? if she is she's probably just excited to have others of her age around her. I would just be pleased that she seems to be an extremely happy child.

my youngest is ADD but it wasn't evident as young as that - he was diagnosed at the age of 5

grin

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 12:47 am
is she able to sit and play quietly at other times - with building blocks or looking at pictures while you read to her? is she quieter at home or away from you?

a pediatrician once told me - if she's a terror at home but can behave other times, esp. when away form home, that's not ADHD - it's just an overactive, energetic child. It's the child who never sits still or who acts up most when oust of the house that you need to worry about.

JewishMother18

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 12:56 am
grin wrote:
a pediatrician once told me - if she's a terror at home but can behave other times, esp. when away form home, that's not ADHD - it's just an overactive, energetic child. It's the child who never sits still or who acts up most when oust of the house that you need to worry about.

as the mother of an ADDer I don't entirely agree with that statement. my son, who is now almost barmitzvah, was generally excellent when he was out at other people's houses. there were occasions when he would suddenly go into a strop and run out of the house but on the whole he would play nicely and not be a bother. in fact over the years we have questioned the diagnosis just for that reason but he definitely has concentration issues at school and his tests all show that he is ADD.

amother

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 12:57 am
whats add? hd?

JewishMother18

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 12:59 am
Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficity Hyperactivity Disorder

Flowerpot

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 1:01 am
she is my first. she loves books so when she lookes at them herself she's calm. and yes she is b'h a very happy baby maybe sometimes to happy giggles & smiles almost all the time. I hope its all normal. I really thank all of you, you've calmed me I hope she's ok

Isramom8

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 1:12 am
I think you can tell sometimes at 4. Like the kid we know who threw my daughter's clothes in the toilet at gan. And his brother who at day camp always tipped the chair my toddler sat in. My son says he's a crazy kid. If most kids agree that a peer is off the wall, that may be a sign.

But at 1, she may just be more mature than the other kids, and her being more active can scare them.

One of our kids has an ADHD diagnosis. His younger sister has always been a very loud and active girl. At 2, she pushed down a little girl in the park, because that kid wouldn't respond to her talking to her. She had to go to gan with older kids because she said the kids her age were babies. The next year we had her repeat that gan, because the other kids caught up in development.

Since she was 4, I've asked her teachers if they think she has ADHD and they all said NO. Now a fourth grader, she is an outspoken class leader, has good friends and gets good grades. She's just...loud and active. A spunky, lively gal!

Flowerpot

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 1:25 am
yes that's starting to make a bit sence she is ahead of most her peers with walking and talking. the problem also is she loves baby's/children but they run away from her I feel so bad

Isramom8

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 1:43 am
flowerpot wrote:
yes that's starting to make a bit sence she is ahead of most her peers with walking and talking. the problem also is she loves baby's/children but they run away from her I feel so bad

Even the cats that hung out in our yard would run away when they saw our daughter approaching!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics