Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Olive Oil

chatz

Post Sun, May 17 2009, 1:14 pm
I didn't grow up with olive oil. Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between the types (extra virgin, regular, etc) and what is the best uses for it (salad dressing vs frying vs cakes)? Please include the DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE warnings Smile.

greenfire

Post Sun, May 17 2009, 1:30 pm
warning ... it taste better Mr. Green

extra virgin is great for salads - thicker and more robust in flavour ...

I use for making omelets or toast in a pan or when deep frying I mix with some regular oils or that is when you use the light ... so it doesn't stick or smoke up ...

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, May 17 2009, 1:49 pm
basically, the more "virgin" it is, the more green in color and "olive-y" flavor. The "lighter" or "milder" is just that in taste and color (more yellow instead of green-ish).

I generally always use extra virgin except in baking sweet things, bc I dont' want those to taste even subtley like olives. So, for that, I use canola oil, but probably very mild olive oil would also do the job. "Pure" olive oil is not extra virgin nor mild-tasting, but in the middle.

Olive oil does have a lower flash point (temperature at which it will burn), so if you use it to saute, keep it on a medium flame. That is one down side to olive oil compared to other oils, but the health benefits are great.

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 17 2009, 3:43 pm
In Israel, where many people take their olive oil as seriously as others take wine, there are grades of oil. The best is cold first-pressed with a low (0.2% is excellent) acidity. They don't mention the work virgin in this context.
Different olives yield different flavors. The mavens know how to discern the different undertones. They sip it in little shot glasses!
If you are in the U.S. and are going for the commercial olive oil such as Bertolli, there really isn't much you can do as far as flavor and quality.
If you get to Israel, come for an olive oil tasting. It's amazing.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 17 2009, 3:50 pm
Extra-virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, contains no more than 0.8% acidity, and is judged to have a superior taste.
Virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, has an acidity less than 2%, and is judged to have a good taste.
Pure olive oil. Oils labeled as Pure olive oil or Olive oil are usually a blend of refined and virgin production oil.
Olive oil is a blend of virgin and refined production oil, of no more than 1.5% acidity. It commonly lacks a strong flavor.

I like extra virgin olive oil the best for sauteeing and cooking.

For salads and such, first cold pressed olive oil has a delicious flavor, and is healthiest. But it loses it nutritional properties when heated, so I only use it to drizzle over prepared foods.

I usually do not use olive oil for baking, but when I do, I try to use light olive oil, since the taste is light and doesn't ruin baked goods flavor.

Hope this helped!

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 8:16 am
My dh says the best is sicilian.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics