Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Teaneck

amother

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 7:02 am
Can someone share the differences between the country club section of teaneck (young israel of teaneck) and the West Englewood/New Milford section (Roemer)? Thanks in advance.

amother

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 8:31 am
Country club section has only one shul-- YI of Teaneck. There is an area close by but not considered country club and the shul is Arzei Darom== south of cedar lane are.

West Englewood section is generally not considered to be connected to New Milford. There are different parts of W. Englewood section and people generally daven in Rinat or Bnai Yeshurun (one or two smaller shuls), then as you move further out on the Teaneck/Bergenfield border people daven in Bnai Yeshurun, Roemer, or Beth Abraham and one or two smaller shuls, then past Bergenfield is New Milford where people daven in Roemer or Beth Abraham. Because there are many more shuls here the types of people differ.

In terms of houses, it really varies place to place. W. Englewood closer to Route 4 is a bit less expensive but Teaneck/Bgnfld border is a bit more expensive, but of course you can find small houses there for less than a slightly bigger house in the other areas. I hear New Milford is a bit cheaper but for some reason it never really took off like people thought it would, I personally don't think it's as nice looking and also you can't get into Bergenfield or Teaneck without crossing big streets, also you can't go that far in without being really far away from a shul. Country club definitely has a range of houses.

amother

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 8:49 am
Also to add that Country Club is really "michutz lamachaneh" in that it's SO far away, at least walking-wise, from the other areas. There may actually be eruv issues with some parts in terms of walking to other areas on Shabbos. If you live in other parts of Teaneck and Bergenfield, you can easily walk from one to the other. I live in Bergenfield and we are literally about 3 blocks away from Teaneck. And some of the Teaneck people that we know, at least in the West Englewood area, actually daven in the biggest Bergenfield shul, Beth Abraham. Also, for me, the "one shul" issue in Country Club is a deal breaker. What if you (or someone) buys a house there, thinking you like the neighborhood/people, and you end up not happy in the shul? It's really too far to walk regularly to another shul. And I also wanted to point out that, (not sure where you're holding) in general, people say that Country Club families are more modern. Also, if you have children, you need to consider what schools you are going to send to, and may want to live in an area that has a bigger concentration of families who send to that school.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 11:33 am
amother wrote:
Also to add that Country Club is really "michutz lamachaneh" in that it's SO far away, at least walking-wise, from the other areas. There may actually be eruv issues with some parts in terms of walking to other areas on Shabbos. If you live in other parts of Teaneck and Bergenfield, you can easily walk from one to the other. I live in Bergenfield and we are literally about 3 blocks away from Teaneck. And some of the Teaneck people that we know, at least in the West Englewood area, actually daven in the biggest Bergenfield shul, Beth Abraham. Also, for me, the "one shul" issue in Country Club is a deal breaker. What if you (or someone) buys a house there, thinking you like the neighborhood/people, and you end up not happy in the shul? It's really too far to walk regularly to another shul. And I also wanted to point out that, (not sure where you're holding) in general, people say that Country Club families are more modern. Also, if you have children, you need to consider what schools you are going to send to, and may want to live in an area that has a bigger concentration of families who send to that school.
really? is this something new? when I was growing up in teaneck, there was no shul in the country club and so everyone who lived there had to walk to beth aaron. but what kind of eruv issues could there be?

amother

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 12:06 pm
Well, I don't know how long ago it was that you grew up in Teaneck, but obviously it has grown tremendously in the past number of years, both in number of families as well as geographically. Parts of Country Club are probably a very far walk from Beth Aaron. In terms of the eruv, I'm not sure if all parts of Country Club and the area South of Cedar fall within the Teaneck Eruv. Don't forget, in that part of town, you've already crossed Route 4 from the other side.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:
Well, I don't know how long ago it was that you grew up in Teaneck, but obviously it has grown tremendously in the past number of years, both in number of families as well as geographically. Parts of Country Club are probably a very far walk from Beth Aaron. In terms of the eruv, I'm not sure if all parts of Country Club and the area South of Cedar fall within the Teaneck Eruv. Don't forget, in that part of town, you've already crossed Route 4 from the other side.
I am now almost 30, so I would say that I grew up there 10 - 15 years ago. and even then, there was a big contingent beyond cedar lane and also past route 4 as well and all of those people walked to beth aaron. I have no idea if they carried things or not ,but that was the only shul in remote walking distance, so...

amother

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 2:18 pm
amother wrote:

Thanks for the info. I would consider myself MO. So I guess I'm really insterested in the difference in the type of people attended Young Israel vs. Roemer. From what I understand Beth Abraham would be too far to the right for me. Does anyone have additional input??

amother

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 2:34 pm
I think YI has a bigger mix of people, so more people who wear skirts and cover their hair and also people who don't. Roemer has a handful of women who cover their hair but the vast majority do not.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 7:00 am
In Teaneck do the women respect one another? Example - if a women does not cover her hair would she talk to a women that covers her hair.
Do kids play with one another even if one wears a velvet yalmuka and one wears a knit yalmuka on the same block? Or do people just label each other in Teaneck?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 7:59 am
Okay, I assume the last poster is the OP of the thread "Yeshivas in Teaneck?" Not a problem, just that I noticed the other thread was started yesterday and this one was re-started today. I am one of the "YNJ amothers" so I will try to be helpful here as well. We are in Bergenfield, right next to Teaneck (literally, Teaneck starts about 3 blocks away.) As I said in the other thread, there are areas of Teaneck/Bergenfield that are more to the right/left. But it is very mixed in general, and totally mixed in terms of hair covering/yarmulkes etc. I have NEVER seen any kind of snobbery/antagonism among the various types of people. I would say if you are the same OP who was asking about YNJ that the majority of mothers do cover their hair, although in various ways (falls, kerchiefs, sheitels), and as I said, the parent body has moved to the right and I would say of the younger grades, the large majority of mothers cover. Boys wear all different types of kippas and are all friends with each other. In general it is a laid back type of place...people with more money are friends with people who have less, all types of religious levels socialize with each other...if you are worried about any of that, I don't think you'll have a problem here. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating