Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Dough not rising

baba

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 10:07 am
I tried to make challe and know I did something sort of wrong in the recipe. Now the dough isnt rising. Can I still do something with it or can I only throw it away?

DefyGravity

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 10:14 am
Is the dough in a warm place? I always turn my oven on for a bit, and then put the bowl of dough (covered with a towel) in there after most of the heat has dissipated.

baba

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 10:28 am
I just finished baking, so I'll give that a try. Thanks.

taliweber

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 10:56 am
make sure that the yeast NEVER touches the salt before you turn on the mixer.

also put a very very small anount of vinegar, you will feel it also in the great taste

DefyGravity

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 11:09 am
What do you mean, that the yeast should never touch salt before you turn the mixer on? I put my yeast in warm water, and once it bubbles, I add salt, oil, eggs, and sugar and then add the flour and mix it. My dough always rises perfectly.

taliweber

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 11:28 am
I always use the instant yeast not the cubes, and place it under the flour, with the salt last on top

I never use eggs in the Challah dough, it makes the dough hard, try once without them you will feel the diff. also as said let it rise in a warm place for 1.5 - 2 hours then before forming it out, roal it out flat then just roll it into along dough only then make out the form which you desire

have luck

DefyGravity

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 11:32 am
I also use instant yeast, and don't find it necessary to go about doing it that way. I've made eggless challah before and IMO, the dough is harder without the eggs.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 4:35 pm
Lots of eggs in my challah, and it's nice and soft. Kneading it longer helps for a softer texture. I do my challah by hand.

One possibility is that if the water is too hot, it can kill the yeast. I proof the yeast first - make sure it's active and bubbles, then mix it in, making sure to add the water at the right temperature, warm but not hot.

bubby

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 3:29 am
I got up at 5:30 to make my challah. It takes about 4 hours to rise, I take challah, shape, leave another couple of hours, then bake. A full day process. My DD gave me the recipe, but hers rises in 1 hour!

nicole81

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 5:56 am
bubby wrote:
I got up at 5:30 to make my challah. It takes about 4 hours to rise, I take challah, shape, leave another couple of hours, then bake. A full day process. My DD gave me the recipe, but hers rises in 1 hour!

use the fast acting yeast! it cuts the rising time in half.

baba- did your yeast even activate?

btw when I let my challah rise, I turn my oven on 450 for 2 minutes, shut it off, then put the bowl of dough in.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 8:07 am
I buy a huge package of yeast from Sam's Club and my dough rises in about an hour, if not less.

bubby

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 8:36 am
I bought new yeast from Costco & they rose beautifully! So now they're baking & smell delicious.

baba

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 5:16 am
Just to let everyone know. I gave up on the batch and put it in the fridge. On friday I took it out, placed it on the stove while I was doing other stuff and was planning on turning it into something else. I kinda forgot about it and at some point I saw it had gotten a lot more. When I put in the new batch of challe, I added in a small role from this "failed" batch and it came out yummy. I ended up making it and had way too much challe that I could barely squeeze into my tiny freezer (dh had also bought challe in case the second batch would fail).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads