Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
One pan of lasagna costs $30?
1  2  Next

spinkles

Post Sat, May 23 2009, 11:54 pm
That's what it costs me to make a 9x13 here OOT. Noodles, sauce, CY farmer's cheese & mozzarella. Is that normal??? And if yours is cheaper, please post a recipe! TIA

3Qts

Post Sat, May 23 2009, 11:56 pm
I know it costs but how did you come up with that amount? How much cheese did you use?

mimivan

Post Sat, May 23 2009, 11:56 pm
that's pretty expensive...but yeah..lasagna is the most expensive food we make..which is why we hardly ever make it

catonmylap

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 12:51 am
You can cut down on the cost by making your own sauce and your own noodles.

Mommish

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 1:02 am
lasagna noodles= about $2
sauce= not more than $2
cottage cheese= maybe $4
mozzarella= a little under $5
pan= about $.20
Let's see, that's about $13.20. I think the salad I serve with it costs more. Where are you and how much does cheese cost there???? BTW, even $30 is the equivalent to lasagna for 2 in a moderately priced restaurant if it makes you feel any better.

little miss sunshine

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 1:06 am
if its that expensive u should buy ready ones

Seraph

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 1:18 am
Make your own lasagna noodles, and make your own sauce from canned tomato paste. It comes out LOADS cheaper. And instead of putting lots of layers of cheese, put in layers of vegetables as well. Mine comes out relatively cheap. (The most expensive thing is maybe 15 shekel for the cottage cheese and yellow cheese.)

spinkles

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 1:23 am
Quote:
asagna noodles= about $2
sauce= not more than $2
cottage cheese= maybe $4
mozzarella= a little under $5
pan= about $.20

Wow, that's very interesting. You can really get away with only one bag of cheese? I'm embarrassed to admit that my recipe uses:

lasagna noodles = $2
sauce = $5 (2 Barilla baking sauces)
mozzarella = $10 (1 lb.)
cottage cheese = $4
parmesan = $6
spinach = $3 (a bag of fresh)

I know the sauce is a splurge, but I really don't find that "homemade" tomato sauces where you dump garlic powder and oregano into tomato sauce taste good, the Barilla is much yummier even than ones I've made myself with fried onions and fresh herbs. And as far as the cheeses go, without the parmesan, the cheese mixture doesn't have the right kick. (Maybe because I didn't grow up frum, the kosher cheeses just don't have the same flavor.)

Quote:

if its that expensive u should buy ready ones

Not an option, only dairy restaurants here are pizza shops, and they don't make lasagna.

Seraph

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 1:31 am
Get any homemade noodle recipe (I'll get you an exact one if you want), but it generally contains flour, egg, oil, salt, water... Roll it out really thin, and voila. I find it much easier to use even than bought lasagna noodles.

little miss sunshine

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 1:32 am
you can purchase ready lasanga in the freezer section of your supermarket

Mommish

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 1:35 am
sprinkles wrote:
And as far as the cheeses go, without the parmesan, the cheese mixture doesn't have the right kick. (Maybe because I didn't grow up frum, the kosher cheeses just don't have the same flavor.)

What kind of parm do you use? I assume fresh grated? That sounds really good-- I think I'll add some to mine next time. I make my own sauce with good quality Italian canned tomatoes, fresh garlic & fresh herbs (when I remember to buy them). I might have estimated a little low on the cost of the sauce, but not by too much. I only put the mozz. on top, not between all the layers, but your recipe sounds very good.

shopaholic

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 7:41 am
I use, for a 9x13 pan:

1 box of lasagna - $2.__
1 jar of marinara sauce - $2.__
1 pckge of shredded cheese - $3/$4
2 eggs
2 lb of ricotta cheese
some grated parmesean
sal, pepper, garlic powder

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 7:46 am
Maybe you can't find quality CY cheeses, but I know that I've had some primo cheddars, bries and goudas in the past couple years from my cheese monger in the Shuk.

Raisin

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 8:35 am
you can subsitute tofu for some of the cheese. don't know if its cheaper.

I don't know if you need so much cheese. I use a lot of cheese, but my cheese is a lot cheaper than $10 a lb.

I don't really use parmesan so much in lasagna - I get great mature chedder and use that. I usde parmesan in tiny amounts.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 8:46 am
I like slightly OOT, and mozzarella is also ~$10/lb.

My dh drives by a larger community a few times a month, so I stock up on milchigs then.... Then, it's more like $6-7/lbs I think....max.

If I used a pound of mozzarella I probably wouldn't also use a pound of ricotta/farmers cheese/cottage cheese. Maybe then only half pound of mozzarella, and the rest the "other cheese".

Adding veggies does help to fill it as well (but maybe watch out on the moisture content that they add...)

Seraph: How do you make sauce from tomato paste?

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 8:47 am
PS: I also used canned diced tomatoes instead of jars of sauce. This is also cheaper.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 8:54 am
For sauce I would sautee onions, add basil, oregano, fresh garlic, salt, tomato paste and maybe some water.

Seraph

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 8:54 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I like slightly OOT, and mozzarella is also ~$10/lb.

My dh drives by a larger community a few times a month, so I stock up on milchigs then.... Then, it's more like $6-7/lbs I think....max.

If I used a pound of mozzarella I probably wouldn't also use a pound of ricotta/farmers cheese/cottage cheese. Maybe then only half pound of mozzarella, and the rest the "other cheese".

Adding veggies does help to fill it as well (but maybe watch out on the moisture content that they add...)

Seraph: How do you make sauce from tomato paste?
My way of making it is:
Fry onions. Fry peppers (green, yellow, whatever). Add one can of tomato paste. Add between one or two more cans of water. Mix till its all the same consistancy. Add a drop of sugar. Salt. Oregano. Basil. MARJORAM!!! (My new discovery, but it tastes AMAZING!!!) Garlic and parsley also nice but not neccesary.
It comes out really nice.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 9:10 am
I never use parmesan. But yes, lasagne cost gelt to make ... and you might think to sub the frozen spinach for fresh next time.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 9:27 am
I don't use ready to bake lasagna noodles, actually my recipe calls for using uncooked, regular lasagna noodles (and adding a cup of water around the perimeter and covering tightly). I think that the cheapest noodles are 1.50 now, and I use 9 noodles, so there's some left for a second.

Cholov Yisrael mozzarella cheese has been on sale everywhere lately, shredded yet. I usually buy 5 lb. bricks at 5.49 a pound and grate myself. My kids insist it tastes better too.

I use cottage cheese instead of farmer or ricotta. I know, different texture etc. and if you really need it for your recipe, especially lekavod yom tov and if you don't have lasagna on a routine basis, I won't say don't.

And I use Hunts tomato sauce though these days, if you can get a good pasta sauce on sale you're not saving much, if anything.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus