Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
14 year old growing boy

treaty

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 11:27 am
I realized that my son did not grow much since his bar mitzvah, in addition he has gained weight. I took him to the pediatrician who confirmed my concerns. Yes , his growing slowed down and yes he gained weight. Blood work came back fine. Bone age showed of a 12 year old. (which gives him time to grow.)

My question to you is, I need a healthy eating schedule for him to allow him to grow to his potential. (he eats his meals in yeshiva, but I am willing to prepare his food for him) I need menus, to keep him full, satisfied and healthy. Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

ruthla

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 3:39 pm
Is he getting "fat" or is he maturing? Is he getting muscles, broader shoulders, etc. yet?

Make sure he gets plenty of protein and healthy fats in his diet- those really help with satiety. Filling up on empty carbs is what usually leads to weight gain.

treaty

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 7:47 pm
He is getting heavy.....His growing actually was very slow in the last 1 1/ 2year.

octopus

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 9:27 pm
I hate to say this but yeshiva food, or any cafeteria food for that matter, is terrible! If you really can prepare yummy, healthy, gourmet meals for him, then I say- go for it! I don't think you should make a big deal about his weight. he is a growing boy. Instead you can stress eating healthy. You just don't want the other boys at yeshiva wondering why your son isn't eating yeshiva food. If they think it's because he has a wonderful caring mother that is a health-nut- that's one thing. It's another thing for all of them to think that his mom put him on a diet.

As long as your son is eating healthy (no stress on weight loss- again- he is going to grow) and has some physical activity in his day he will be FINE. I don't think the weight gain is holding back his growth. Somehow I thought you were saying that in your post. And, you should just know, right before puberty and other major growth spurts, kids tend to get a little chubbier- it's what helps them through their sudden growth spurts.

Again- you don't want to make this a big huge deal. You don't want to damage your son's self-esteem. And believe me, it's possible. I've seen it. Ppl think they have to be careful with their daughters self-esteem, but you also have to be careful with the sons as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise