Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO foolproof stove-top rice cooking directions

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 12:28 pm
I once read a particular method for cooking rice on imamother.

It went something like this.
Heat oil in saucepan.
Stir fry 1 cup of rice for a few minutes.
Add 2 cups of water.
Bring water to a hard boil.
Turn off flame.
Cover and allow rice to sit for 25 minutes.

Does anyone have the exact directions for this particular method? I don't know if I'm off? TIA!

Tamiri

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 12:38 pm
This is how I make perfect rice every time (Jasmine, Basmati, Regular NOT brown): take as much rice as you want. Toast in a bit of oil for a few minutes till it smells a bit like popcorn. Add BOILING water to cover plus a bit (maybe an inch or less). Lower flame. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Fluff the rice. Serve.

wanderer

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 12:43 pm
This is how I do it:

Saute 1 cup rice in oil until golden brown. Add two cups of water (and salt) and bring to a boil. Cover pot, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until water has almost evaporated. Fluff with fork.

Delicious every time!

I'm not sure about brown rice btw. I use Uncle Ben's parboiled, long enriched rice, and maybe brown rice has different cooking times.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 12:50 pm
Rinse rice beforehand to get rid of extra starch (you may have to change wate a few times). Then soak in cold water for 15-20min. Use a pot that's large enough (remember rice swells once cooked) with a tight fitting rid. The thicker bottomed ones are better for conducting heat evenly. For 3 cups or so of rice, sautee 1 medium size onion, finely chopped, in about 1tbsp vegetable oil and a generous dash of salt till soft and transparent, but before it browns. Add drained rice, add water (1.5cups for each cup of rice), turn the flame to highest till the water boils, then immediatel reduce flame to the lowest, cover the pot with the lid, cook for 15min (for basmati, you'll probably need 5min longer for regular american long-grain, much longer for brown rice) COVERED. Turn off the flame, let the rice steam for additional 10min (AGAIN NO PEEKING!), then fluff with fork. On shabbat, I leave the pot on blech for 30min or so before shabbat to get the crusty bottom.

Seraph

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 12:51 pm
If you have a pressure cooker, I have a really quick method that is good for forgetful people- silly me always forgets to lower the flame when it boils, to turn it off when its ready, so my recipe is great.

1 cup jasmine rice
1 and 2/3 cups water
1 tsp salt

Put in pressure cooker. Bring to full pressure (you should hear it hissing, or popping open, or whatever yours does when its on full pressure). Lower to medium flame for 2.5 minutes. Turn off.
Let sit 10 minutes. If all the pressure isnt out by then, let it out. Fluff. Serve. Perfect. It has individual grains cooked the perfect amount. I only make this kind of rice from now on.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 1:27 pm
Thanks everyone!
Somehow, whenever I try making rice on the stove, I always make a mess with the starchy water spilling everywhere (yes, even in a large enough pot), and I always end up needing to add water, which makes my rice more of a rice pudding consistancy.
I think the trouble is that the gas stove that I have does not have very low flames on the burners.
I am not complaining since it comes out good, but it's just a pain in the neck.
So... I once read about a method which was something to the effect of the one I posted above.
I actually tried it last night and it was great! I was so proud of myself for not making a mess and for cooking rice that came out beautifully fluffed.
There was a tiny minute amount of crunch in there, so I was just trying to find out if I had the method exactly right.

So if anyone makes their rice similar to that, please let me know! Smile

greenfire

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 3:36 pm
that is NOT regular rice ... sounds more like fried rice ... Scratching Head

for regular white rice ...

boil water - always adding the amount of rice you want to cook + 1/2 more cup of water (pretend it's 1 cup you add 1 1/2 cups water or if it's 1 1/2 cups you add 2 cups water, etc. )

add some salt & tsp of oil

once the water boils add the rice - turn fire low to simmer with lid atop the pot for approximately 20 minutes ...

mamacita

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:38 pm
This is how I do it:

http://chinesefood.about.com/o.....o.htm

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 5:21 am
The one I posted before is not really fried rice, but it comes out more flavourful and less mushy than plain boiled rice. It's more like steamed rice in a pot.

I also have a great fried rice recipe, which is best made with a day-old cold rice. Heat 1tsp toasted sesame oil, lightly whisk one egg and make soft omlette. Put in a bowl/plate and break into small pieces. Use the same frying pan (no need to wash), heat anothe 1tsp sesame oil, fry chopped scallion, chopped carrots and chopped sweet red/yellow peppers (small amount for both). Add rice (about 2cups, break up lumps), cubed cooked chicken (or sliced/cubed veggie sausages), frozen peas or corn kernels (optional) and fry for 4-5min till heated through. Dissolve 1tsp of parve chicken soup powder in 1-2tbsp hot water, sprinkle over the fried rice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes