Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How to identify trigger(s) of eczema? please help :(
1  2  Next

anon

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 10:31 pm
I'm ready to cry as I write this. My son had a horrible flare-up of eczema this past month.

We put on him steroid and cortisone creams for about a week to relieve the flare-up, but we obviously need to figure out how to prevent this in the future.

We took him to an allergist who tested him for all the common food allergies as well as some of the common foods that he typically eats. He tested negative for all of them.

I know doctors claim that it's not necessarily caused by an allergy, but there must be some cause for the flare-ups! I feel desperate to find the cause.

Any suggestions?

momsprince

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 10:55 pm
Where do you live? I know some1 in Williamsburg who can find out with energies.

baschabad

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 11:00 pm
I'm also trying to identify the trigger of my fingertip eczema- which leaves me practically one-handed when it gets really bad.
Right now I'm trying a dairy and soy free diet, but I also think that I react to the dish soap I use, (Ivory) and possibly the chemicals in baby wipes!
I've heard that certain synthetic materials as well as wool are irritants to the skin. Dress and sleep only in/on cotton and use moisturizers without lanolin!
I also was recommended a certain Clear Cream to treat eczema which is supposedly safe for you, unlike hydro cortisone. It's very expensive but apparently worth it. Hatzlacha Rabba!
(This just occurred to me- have you considered that it's a reaction to vaccines or medication?)

MiracleMama

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 11:12 pm
I sent you a PM

queen

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 11:18 pm
Clear Cream works VERY well.

I get bad eczema on my legs, and went to a dermatologist who prescribed creams but never mentioned anything about food allergies. I think I will call him to discuss.

During pregnancies it COMPLETELY goes away which is so nice Smile but then is a shock to my system when all of a sudden, post delivery it comes back Sad

Does soriesys (spelling!) also stem from food allergies or only eczema?

anon

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 11:20 pm
What is Clear Cream? I've heard it mentioned here a number of times.

And what does it mean that it's "safe"? Safer than cortisone or as safe as regular creams/lotions like Eucerin, Aquaphor, etc..

Twizzlers

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 11:24 pm
I've also heard very good things about clear cream. and only wearing 100% cotton

NativeMom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 11:29 pm
My son has problems with eczema and we've been using clear cream (it's homeopathic) and cortisone cream, both work really well.

shnitzel

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 12:02 am
anon wrote:
I'm ready to cry as I write this. My son had a horrible flare-up of eczema this past month.

We put on him steroid and cortisone creams for about a week to relieve the flare-up, but we obviously need to figure out how to prevent this in the future.

We took him to an allergist who tested him for all the common food allergies as well as some of the common foods that he typically eats. He tested negative for all of them.

I know doctors claim that it's not necessarily caused by an allergy, but there must be some cause for the flare-ups! I feel desperate to find the cause.

Any suggestions?

DH has had severe eczema since he was a baby (along with severe allergies some of which disappeared with age and others that still linger). We know it isn't food related and that for him it has a strong correlation to the weather and sometimes stress. It can be caused by something environmental also. He rarely uses cortisone or steroid creams anymore and treats with moisturizers (like the aveeno tubs) if they are applied several times a day very thickly they can manage a flare.
For him the only thing that cured his eczema was moving to Florida for a few years. The humidity cured his skin. If it is b/c of weather or enviroment you cant necessarily avoid flares.

bnm

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 12:34 am
some times your detergent or soap can set it off. did you change brands recently? even a different fabric softener can be to blame.

alpidarkomama

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 12:53 am
My daughter had horrible eczema from 18 months to 2-1/2, then it totally cleared up. She occasionally gets a bit from time to time, but never like before! Tons of thick moisturizer helped a lot (like Eucerin). She also had no known allergies or anything. Sometimes it's just an overactive immune system. Sometimes it's dry skin. Often, no cause can be found and you just have to manage it until B"H they just outgrow it. And the odds that they'll outgrow it are pretty good.

bnm

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 12:54 am
1 trigger was those plug in air fresheners

greentiger

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 5:16 am
Ugh I'm also struggling with this and trying to figure out what to do. My daughter has these rashes all over that I thought was eczema but then someone saw it and insisted its hives. The doctor prescribed an antihistamine which didn't help. I've switched to sensitive laundry detergent and have been using dead sea products on her. I see an improvement but its still not gone...

estyk

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 6:07 am
queen wrote:
Does soriesys (spelling!) also stem from food allergies or only eczema?

From my (admittedly limited) knowledge of psoriasis, it is not allergy-related. There is a definite genetic component to it (have it in my family).

oodlesofnoodles

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 8:37 am
Dr. Ronald Hoffman is a great resource for health advice (drhoffman.com)

This is what he has to say about eczema:
Eczema is a general term for an itchy red rash that initially weeps or oozes and may become crusted, thickened, or scaly. Similar to eczema, allergic dermatitis causes inflammation and irritation of the skin. Both eczema and dermatitis may be caused by food allergies, irritating chemicals, drugs, scratching or rubbing the skin, or even sun exposure. In both cases, a strict candida-free, sugar-free diet and avoidance of food allergens is key to stopping the vicious cycle of flare-ups. Supplementation with probiotics, antioxidants like EGCG and zinc, and essential fatty acids like EPA and borage oil have been shown to be beneficial.

BTW- candida=yeast

He has a radio show and contact information on his website so you can try to email him for advice.

Hatzlacha!

mamacita

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 10:58 pm
My dh has eczema on his scalp. He recently took my advice (it's only been 4yrs, but nm) and cut dairy out of his diet. He is not allergic to dairy, no digestive probs or anything. But the eczema went away. If he cheats, it mini-flares, but nothing like what it used to be. B"H for the relief, although he is a big nosher and loves dairy so it's hard, especially OOT where all the nosh is dairy.

anon

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 2:12 pm
Thank you all for your responses. At this point, we started using a detergent for sensitive skin and Aveeno body wash. We had to use steroids and cortisones to rid him of the flare up (most moisturizers made his flare up worse!) and now we started with Eucerin cream to hopefully prevent another flare up. I would like to keep him out of the sun, but summer is starting, I'm nto sure if it's possible!

Now, what is Clear Cream? Is it something you buy over the counter, or is it by prescription only? If it works better than regular eucerin/aveeno creams, then how are you sure it's really safe for daily use? Or is it not meant for daily use, only to manage flare ups as a substitute for cortisone and steroids?

Thanks again.

sky

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 2:25 pm
When ds was having his very bad flare ups I kept a diary of what he was eating. Not very scientific but just jotting down the foods. It was easier to find the triggers this way. I've eliminated them and we rareley have flare ups. we still have minor ones but not the same as before.

corey

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:28 pm
2 of my kids have eczema. My daughter's is pretty bad. She scratches herself raw if we leave her alone too much. Some of her triggers are clothes which are not 100% cotton, since she wears a school uniform, I try to make sure she wears an undershirt which is all cotton. Another trigger is the heat in the schools, which is being turned off b/c of the time of year. Another trigger is sitting on the carpeting.

My neighbor says her child who has sever eczema has food allergies to eggs, nuts, dairy, wheat and I can't remember if there is anything else.

My daughter has been tested for food allergies and tested negative. I think she has a sensitivity to something she eats. Her earrings also cause a reaction.

We use desonide for her skin. I would try a naturopath who specializes in food related sensitivities. I don't like all of the ointments b/c they have steroids and are bad for long term use.

monseymom15

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 11:09 am
I am reading these posts because I am also trying to figure out how to help my dd's eczema. I jut want to let you know I heard that the clear cream everyone was mentioning also had cortisone, which they did not list as part of the ingredients! what my doctor says- cortisone helps, use it as long as its not for long term, and kids usually outgrow their eczema. I'm hoping for that!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics