Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
OMG... My 10 month old lost a tooth... I can't calm down!
1  2  Next

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 6:38 pm
My baby was stuck behind a door and crying, and as I pushed the door in, I hit his mouth, and knocked his bottom tooth out! He was bleeding for a while, it stopped, but I'll feel guilty for the next 7 yrs until his permanent tooth comes in! THat gaping hole in his smile will just haunt me for years. I'm just so, so upset at myself!!! How will he chew now? He eats everything! I guess he wont be able to bite me while nursing so hard anymore... I just cant live with the guilt!!!!

Inspired

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 6:44 pm
Oy. Sad I'm sorry. That really must make you feel terrible. Hug It really isn't your fault though, it was as much an unavoidable accident as I can think of. Unfortunate, but not your fault.

Barbara

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 6:45 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
My baby was stuck behind a door and crying, and as I pushed the door in, I hit his mouth, and knocked his bottom tooth out! He was bleeding for a while, it stopped, but I'll feel guilty for the next 7 yrs until his permanent tooth comes in! THat gaping hole in his smile will just haunt me for years. I'm just so, so upset at myself!!! How will he chew now? He eats everything! I guess he wont be able to bite me while nursing so hard anymore... I just cant live with the guilt!!!!

Forget the guilt. Call your dentist ASAP. I doubt they'll do anything, or be able to do anything, but he may need some sort of a spacer as his other teeth come in to ensure that they don't create a problem for his permanent teeth.

OhWow!

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 6:47 pm
Oy! That's so upsetting!

I knocked out a tooth when I was very young and my pictures are actually very cute with that missing tooth. It adds character!

B"h it was only a tooth and not a broken bone or anything more serious. Try to think of it that way. You'll get used to his toothless grin in no time.

bella

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 6:53 pm
Take a deep breath. It will be ok. Just as a precaution, you might want to have him checked by the doctor to make sure there is no nerve damage and that there will not be a problem with the permanent tooth.

At least it's a bottom tooth. As he gets older it might not show as much.

Try to see his smile as a reminder of what a GOOD mommie you are - and in time you'll grow used to the missing tooth, I hope.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 6:58 pm
I personally know someone this happened to. She's probably one of the best mommies I know (this happened to her #9! She was about 10 months old at the time.)
You may want to take him to a dentist just to make sure the whole tooth came out and that it didn't chip and leave some in--I don't want to scare you--just a precation.
Anyhow, this little girl I know is 4 and has an adorable space in the front bottom of her mouth....
At this point, people just assume it "fell out already"--a bit more normal for her age.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 7:30 pm
yes, I did make an appt for 10 am tomorrow to the pediatric dentist I use for my 3 1/2 y.o.

I also put the tooth in milk in the fridge just in case it can be replanted. the whole tooth came out, root and all.

Barbara

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 7:41 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
yes, I did make an appt for 10 am tomorrow to the pediatric dentist I use for my 3 1/2 y.o.

I also put the tooth in milk in the fridge just in case it can be replanted. the whole tooth came out, root and all.

Thumbs Up

Funny story. A boy showed up at DS' nursery school with a missing tooth. The teacher assumed it fell out and said *W Y, what happened to your tooth!* W Y answered *my daddy punched me in the mouth and it came out* So teacher had to investigate or report. Turns out W Y fell, knocked the tooth loose, and dad pulled it the rest of the way. So now your baby will be able to tell everyone that Ima hit him in the head when he was a baby.

Don't worry too much. You'll suffer more than he will.

marina

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 8:00 pm
Depending on where the tooth was, I would also speak to the doctor about whether language development might be affected, etc.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 8:06 pm
I just took a look into his mouth. he has a gaping hole in his gums!!! how does this heal? will he need stitches? Who makes stitches on gums? will I spend half my day tomorrow in a hospital somewhere?

Gefen

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 8:08 pm
My sister's front tooth was knocked out at 18 mos and didn't grow in unil 8/9.

The pics were cute, just fit her personality. At least another one is coming.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 8:11 pm
okay it's not a gaping hole. it's just where his tooth was. it looks different htan the rest of his toothless gums, tht's why it's scary.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 8:20 pm
OMG MB that is just awful for you, poor Mommy(((hugs))).

As a preschool teacher in a yeshiva, I can tell you there are 1or 2 boys in each class missing a tooth. Its a common childhood occurence, I guess. Maybe that's part of why H' makes kids grow new teeth, cuz so many kids have accidents and lose them young.

That being said, my own DS (now 8) fell and knocked out a top tooth at 20 mos old. DH was with him and didn't even realize the tooth was gone. Just cleaned up the blood (which he thought was just from falling.)

Then took DS out for lunch and only noticed the tooth was gone while DS was eating some french fries. Really, less than 30 mins after knocking out a tooth, my kid was happily eating fries and a hot dog.
So, I'll bet your baby is really doing OK. I'm sure you'll give him some tylenol in case he has any discomfort.

Don't worry about how he'll eat either. My DS just learned to compensate. He had no trouble eating apples or anything else he needed to crunch through. Now his permanent front tooth has grown in and I hope it stays there!

chaylizi

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 8:32 pm
I prematurely lost both my front teeth in an accident. I was jumping on the couch & I fell & hit my face on a coffee table. I teeth turned black & needed to be removed.

my oldest dd also fell as a toddler. she jumped out of her crib & landed on her face. both her front teeth were chipped in a not very attractive way. one is kind of discolored. that one is getting loose now, I hate to say it but I can't wait for it to fall out.

chaylizi

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 8:35 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I just took a look into his mouth. he has a gaping hole in his gums!!! how does this heal? will he need stitches? Who makes stitches on gums? will I spend half my day tomorrow in a hospital somewhere?

actually, dentists are very wary stitching inside the mouth. it's a big breeding ground for infections, so they only do it if something is bleeding profusely. I have this as record from two different oral surgeons.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 8:39 pm
alright, he just gave me a geshmake bite whle nursing. he can still bite! lol!

Seraph

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 12:56 am
I thought teeth can be easily replanted if they came out whole? Am I wrong?

Anyhow, my sister lost her tooth at age 4 by jumping off a club house holding on to a rope- her tooth got snagged in the rope and got yanked out of her mouth. Oy. It actually left a scar on her gums because it was a really strange way for the tooth to come out... Now her adult teeth are in though.

Marion

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 1:32 am
We had to have a tooth pulled with DS#1 after a shard came off in a fall. The nerve got infected and would continue that way unless we pulled the tooth. He'll be toothless on top for a few years now, but the dentist who did it said he'd be fine in 5 minutes, and he was. I think we take it harder because we see how painful it was for them to "grow" them in the first place!

ss321

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 1:53 am
OY mama bear. I feel so bad, I cringed when I read what happened!! smart move about the milk. maybe there is something that can be done. and barbara is right-good u made an appt, it willb e important to make sure this wont affect how the other teeth are spaced etc.
it will add character, thats all. you must feel horrible. dont beat yourself up about it, its killing you way more than him.

mama-star

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 3:35 am
oy sweetie.

that should be the worst thing that happens to him his entire life.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics