Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My dd's poor growth

octopus

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 9:40 pm
my 14 mth old dd is growing very poorly. She gains very slowly and is very small. She looks like an 8- 10 month old baby. The pediatrician is driving me a little crazy about her growth.He keeps on saying I should stuff her with carbs. She was a big baby and was gaining very nicely until 4 months old where her growth started slowing down. So she started out 8.2 lbs and now weighs 17.7 lbs. I was really not concerned since I felt that I had the same kind of growth curve as a child. She doesn't look skinny because she is also very short. She looks regular. Also, I didn't think she would continue gaining at the rate that she was because neither I or my dh are big ppl. we are on the shorter side. But now that dd is walking and talking (yup!) ppl think that she is doing things really early because they think she is so much younger than she is. So now I'm just worried. Did anyone else have this experience of having a very small child? were you concerned? or were you happy that your child was just gaining and hitting all their milestones despite their smallness?

drumjj

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 3:21 am
my kids were always small, my husband and I are small. although they didnt drop from their percentile. now my third daughter is dropping quie drastically off her percentile my doc said if in the next two weeks she keeps going down ive got to be referred to the hospital with her.

Marion

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 3:37 am
Doctors are chart happy. They seem to forget that there's some genetics involved. My 2nd is 19 months old and JUST started wearing 12-18 & 18 month sized clothes. He is not yet heavy enough to go forward-facing in the carseat. I'm a big believer in happy = healthy. My son is meeting his milestones within the normal range, he's happy, he's playful, he keeps up with the other kids. Why should I worry because he's small? He'll have his chance at a growth spurt soon enough.

Blair

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 3:54 am
We had that also and at the age of 5 my child was diagnosed with Celiac and then once on the right diet he gained 10 pounds the first month.

hadasa

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 4:11 am
Every single one of my kids dropped in percentile at some point. My babies are born overdue and big, and don't grow at that rate, especially once they're no longer exclusively nursing. They catch up later. As long as they're developing well, are happy and not skinny, I don't worry about it.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 5:11 am
Avraham Tzvi is the same age, was 8lbs 13oz at birth, and was just over 18 lbs last week (that was with clothes on, he happened to go and be weighed so I know).

Difference is, he's my 4th, and the doctor is used to it.

My twins were preemie (4lbs 1oz & 4lbs 8oz), we kept an eye on them, and Rena we did some blood tests, ect, just to be sure. She didn't hit 20 lbs until about 2.5, and the last time I weighed her she was about 28 (she's over 5 now). Nechama is "bigger" at around 34 lbs.

Rivka was born bigger (7lbs 10oz), dropped off the charts, and the doctor looked at her and said "ok, so now we know it's your genes and not the twin / preemie factor.

Avraham Tzvi was born bigger still, and I brought him to the doctor at about 6 months for dropping off the chart. The doctor took one look at him and said "so, you are telling me it's one of your kids LOL )

small bean

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 9:32 am
I wouldnt worry. my daughter is 2 1/2 she weights 20.3 lbs. she is very skinny and short, but she meets every milestone. she is currently not on the chart at all. my doc always tells me to try to get her to eat more, but I can't. I think it's genetics, both my husband an I are small.

shalhevet

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 9:40 am
Birth weight depends on factors during pregnancy eg good maternal nutrition, week born etc.

Adult height/ weight is dependant on genetics (mostly).

So if someone short and skinny has a baby at 41 weeks after eating well throughout pregnancy, and the baby ways 3.5-4kg, at some point the growth slows down so the baby reaches its genetically determined short and skinny adult height/ weight.

octopus

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 10:43 am
thank you for posts! I feel a little better!

With regards to the celiac disease- my daughter is off dairy until she is two. Then we try again. She had an allergic reaction (diarrhea and hives). I don't think my daughter has celiac but how did you figure out that this is what your child had? My ds didn't take dairy right away either. He was also very small. As soon as he started having it though, he is average sized. I'm hoping that when dd is able to have dairy products she will grow, too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics