Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much should a "shabbos lock" cost?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 8:11 am
The price just quoted to me sounds about double what I thought it would be. Does your price also include installation or just the lock. I'm only anon cuz I just asked my neighbor and I dont want her to know my SN.

sunshine!

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 8:16 am
I paid $125 for a lock including installation. There was a better model for about $140.

ss321

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 8:17 am
amother wrote:
The price just quoted to me sounds about double what I thought it would be. Does your price also include installation or just the lock. I'm only anon cuz I just asked my neighbor and I dont want her to know my SN.

is a shabbos lock a pad lock?
meaning you type in the number and turn the lock so its keyless?

padlock + installation should be $150. IDK if you get a fancy looking padlock (ours is the basic matte one, matches the doorknob) maybe the cost goes up, but it should be just about that much. if you need a locksmith rec and you live in brooklyn, let me know.

you can also buy one yourself at home depot, then it should be under 100 I think

ss321

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 8:18 am
btw, ours is something like this:
http://www.ironmongerydirect.c.....ption
but its brass
I hope that is what you are calling a "shabbos lock"

sunshine!

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 8:23 am
Ours is exactly this one:

http://shop.keyless-entry-lock.....0.gif

amother

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 8:28 am
Yes sunshine, one like that.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 8:29 am
The ones at Home Depot all run on batteries so it's kinda pointless cuz cant use it on shabbos.

sunshine!

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 8:30 am
Like I said it was $125 including installation. We may have gotten a discount for a few doors...

ss321

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
The ones at Home Depot all run on batteries so it's kinda pointless cuz cant use it on shabbos.

yes I know, and they dont do anything extra except light up the keypad. I dont know why ANYONE (non Jews) would waste the $. The regular padlock + install should be give or take 150 like I said.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 9:02 am
Forgive me, but what's wrong with a regular lock?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 9:02 am
figure out how to install it yourself and you'll save ...

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 9:07 am
There are several kinds of Shabbos locks, some more secure than others. I think the one we wanted was $100 with another $100 for installation.

We didn't get it.

Seraph

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 9:22 am
Clarissa wrote:
if there is no eiruv and you can't carry your keys and you want to lock the door...

hila

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 9:30 am
Ours is just like the one in the picture - and it was 750sh (including installation)

It has saved me lots of time and energy in lost keys, and forgotten keys (Phone calls after I am asleep..."ima please let me in I forgot my key") etc

It is great !

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 9:34 am
Clarissa wrote:

You never have to worry about forgetting your keys. Your kids don't need to worry about that either.
The trick is to not give the code to ALL the neighborhood kids or there will never be candy left in your house!

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 9:36 am
Very cool idea. Wouldn't be allowed in my building, but it looks like it'd be pretty handy.

sunshine!

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 9:41 am
I have been grateful many a time that I have that lock. Hand s full of groceries, purse, diaper bag and baby, with toddler trailing behind, and not having to fumble through the cavernous interior of my bag for a key... Just push some buttons and presto... we made it...

Tova

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 9:46 am
I seem to remember @ $90. We use it all the time and never even use keys. Never have to fumble at the doorway. It is a 5 punch keypad and works very smoothly. [It never has happened yet in 4 years, but if it should ever get stuck or malfunction we can get in w/ a key through our back door.]

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 9:51 am
There is also one that works by recognizing your fingerprints. That's one way to fingerprint your nanny!

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 9:55 am
ChutzPAh wrote:
There is also one that works by recognizing your fingerprints. That's one way to fingerprint your nanny!

But you wouldn't be able to use it on Shabbat.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics