Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Life insurance
1  2  3  Next

ILOVELIFE

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 2:27 am
I'm not as Amother cuz I'm not afraid of the flack. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and as long as u can state them maturally and maintain equilibrum--I'd love to hear from u.

My school offered the teachers free life-insurance. I didn't take it. Reason: I BH have a wonderful Rebbe of a wonderful chasidus that holds that life insurance is out. We feel it's a breach of bitachon and it's like saying "I'll prob die early CH"V so lemme do s/thing about it" Health insurance is very diff as it's almost inevitable that even one who is perfectly healthy will need a doctor for well visits and the like aand so why not save money. We're not getting health insurance cuz we think Ch'v we'll be struck with a life threatening illness etc.

I know there are many prominent askanim and rabbonim who don't have this view but I will stick to my Rebbe's opinion. However, just to make my life more colorful--I'd like to hear your opinion on life insurance and what u do .

shoshb

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 11:04 am
Quote:
it's almost inevitable that even one who is perfectly healthy will need a doctor

It's also *almost* inevitable that even one who is perfectly healthy will die eventually.

shoy18

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 11:07 am
As soon as our son was born my hub took out life insurance. I didnt even know any rabbi's were against it, it seems to be only logical to give your family a saftey net, especially if the husband is the soal supporter of the family.

deedee

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 11:13 am
Quote:
My school offered the teachers free life-insurance

we dont have cause we cant afford it, I wish we had this oppertunity!
my father passed away at a young age, B'H he had a policy or my mother would have been in trouble. its nice enough to rely on family and friends in C'VS a death but in the end u are on ur own.
I dont see it as not having bitachon, but as taking care of your family.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 11:41 am
Salut

we also don't have because can't afford. I agree with what deedee said about responsibility.

chen

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 11:47 am
If I may be a little nasty--I wish you and your dh a long, healthy, happy life full of nachas biz 120--but if, Ch"v, the unthinkable happens, I do not want any schnorrer letters from your rov pleading on behalf of a poor mother of X young children, a tragic almonoh whose husband z"L had no life insurance.

I understand that there are ppl who cannot get insurance for whatever reason, or could get it only at exorbitant rates that they cannot possibly afford. But to turn down an offer like this when it wouldn't cost you a penny is foolish beyond permission. IMO it's just like a person drowning in a river refusing to grab a life preserver because "Hashem will save me".

(Remind me to post in the humor section the joke along those lines.)

Making plans for the future is neither an indication of lack of bitochon nor a seguloh for a good future: it is plain seichel and hishtadlus. We all know that whatever happens to us is ultimately in His hands--but what makes you think that He doesn't take into consideration what you do first?

shoy18

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 11:49 am
Thanks chen I didnt have the guts to post it, but I was thinking the same thing

amother

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 11:50 am
im sorry but I dont agree with the rebbe who told u this.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 11:54 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
I'm not as Amother cuz I'm not afraid of the flack. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and as long as u can state them maturally and maintain equilibrum--I'd love to hear from u.

My school offered the teachers free life-insurance. I didn't take it. Reason: I BH have a wonderful Rebbe of a wonderful chasidus that holds that life insurance is out. We feel it's a breach of bitachon and it's like saying "I'll prob die early CH"V so lemme do s/thing about it" Health insurance is very diff as it's almost inevitable that even one who is perfectly healthy will need a doctor for well visits and the like aand so why not save money. We're not getting health insurance cuz we think Ch'v we'll be struck with a life threatening illness etc.

I know there are many prominent askanim and rabbonim who don't have this view but I will stick to my Rebbe's opinion. However, just to make my life more colorful--I'd like to hear your opinion on life insurance and what u do .

Do you wear seatbelts? Have smoke detectors in the house?
If you wear a seatbelt it's like saying that "I might get into a car crash, so lemme do s/t about it." With a smoke detector, it's like you're assuming that there might be a fire.

People with life insurance are being responsible, not assuming that they're going to die young.

happyone

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 12:08 pm
I really wonder if you misunderstood what your Rebbi said. Did I understand correctly that he doesnt believe in health insurance???? That's the most obsurd thing I've ever heard of!!!! What about responsibility???
Forget cancer or other real diseases. What if your child breaks his leg?? who pays for that??? and now that pre-existing laws don't exist -- that's only if there was existing insurance at the time of diagnosis. If not, no insurance company would take you. I wish you a happy , healthy, and long life...
but, in today's day and age, where HMO's, medicaid and child health plus exists, there's NO reason anyone shouldnt have health insurance, even those that can't afford a regular policy.
Sorry, I give lots of tzedaka to people in unfortunate circumstances, however, if an uninsured person gets ill, their expenses are TOTALLY irresponsible, neglectful, and asked for. (assuming they live in the USA where EVERYONE is entitled to some sort of coverage.)
Banging head

buying health insurance is part of v'nishmartem l'nafshosechem.
please ask your rav again regarding life insurance (mention that it's FREE -for heavens sakes!) and health insurance.

by the way, don't bash me for this-- but I highly doubt a rav said this, I think this thread was started to initiate controversy!!!

shoy18

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 12:12 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:
Health insurance is very diff as it's almost inevitable that even one who is perfectly healthy will need a doctor for well visits and the like aand so why not save money. We're not getting health insurance cuz we think Ch'v we'll be struck with a life threatening illness etc.

I think you misunderstood happyone! She meant to say she is only getting health insurance for day to day occurance, like well visits, broken legs.. not because of a life threatening illness. I dont agree with it but thats what she meant I THINK!

amother

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 12:14 pm
you should deffinatly take the life insurance ! what would you do if ga-d forbid your husband dies . I have a friend who is a widow with three kids
no one helps her she is on food stamps the yeshivah thnak g-d lets her kids go for free.in the summer all the kids stay home and they dont go to camp

newmom

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 12:22 pm
As usual, I agree with the wisdom of Chen. It's one thing if you can not afford it, but to turn down free life insurance? Just look at all the Tzedaka requests all begging for $$ for families where the husband died without any insurance. You have a responsibility to yourselves and children.

happyone

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 1:05 pm
If I misunderstood --- I'm really glad. Sorry.

chen

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 1:18 pm
lovelife--no need to apologize for NOt posting anonymously!

shopaholic

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 1:22 pm
Chen - you are 200% right. It's sad to see those letters in the jewish press asking for money for orphans & widows, but we can't be responsible to support them because they didn't take out policies.

When 9/11 happened, my dh was in school a block away. Miraculously, his teacher was out that day so he was going to go in late & he missed coming out of the station as the towers were hit.

After this, he got very nervous about us if CH"V 100x something ever happened to him & we now BOTH have policies.

cindy324

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 3:00 pm
Someone told me that life insurance is a segulah for long life What ,

Anyhow, enough said...

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 10 2006, 3:45 pm
My earlier posts were deleted...but along with health insurance, you need life and disability too, even for stay at home moms.

And yes, this stuff isn't free and costs more the older you are......you just have to think what you would do without it, if you CHAS VESholom needed it.

We all have seen people resort to begging or have others beg for them.

That's why we have these assurances. I admit, we never go anywhere, we don't own a car or home, but we have that piece of mind, at least.

willow

Post Sat, Mar 11 2006, 12:11 pm
Chen once agaim u r on target. Rabbi kaminetsky once said that u can't put such a burden on the community and depend on the kehilla to take care of your family after.... A erson must be responsible.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Mar 11 2006, 9:35 pm
we asked a rov and were told it's a good idea. We don't have a lot, but I think maybe $100,000 each, but it's something. We pay approximately $110 a month all together for the 2 of us. and they have you can actually take some money out if you need it - while you're alive!
If you don't die by 100, you get the full amount. I'm looking forward to BE"H us giving money to our kids while we're still alive! Wink Until 120+!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics