Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Mohel

amother

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 3:10 pm
Would anyone use a mohel thats over 75 years of age? DH says we have no choice since he is a family friend, is it right to take someone else even all of our family used the same mohel all the time, or can anyone give me a good excuse how to take someone else but not hurt this person

bbmom

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 5:19 pm
There is story with one of the Rebbeim in Lubavitch that when his son was born he had a choice between two mohalim. One had far greater yiras shamayim and was much more well versed in the proper chasidic and kabalistic kavanos regarding a bris mila, and the second one was just regular frum yid, not nearly as learned but a greater expert at mila. The Rebbe chose the expert - we don't play around with a child's health.

If a 75 year old's hands are as steady as a 30 year old's I would use him. If there is the slightest chance that his hands might be a bit shaky I would absolutely not use him. My child's health comes before family politics.

JollyMommy

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 1:20 am
there are brain surgeons, dentists, cardaic surgeons etc. who are until their late seventies/early eighties. find out if he is shaky or not. he might be excellent even though he's old!

B"H

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 8:16 am
bbmom, I think that story was about a chazzan for Rosh Hashana, not for a mohel Smile not that I disagree with your point...

JollyMommy

Post Wed, Aug 12 2009, 9:55 pm
nope- I just read the same story in shaarei habris- it was w/ a mohel
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics