Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore community
1  2  3  Next

ArthurDent

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 9:07 pm
We're moving! But we're having a hard time getting the community pinned down. For financial reasons, we want to buy a house now though we would normally have rented for a year to get to know the community first. But we believe that a year from now, houses would be more expensive and the $8K tax credit will be gone.

However, I guess b/c sellers aren't getting what they want, a lot of people aren't selling. Almost all the houses we've seen on the city side require work. We'd like to look on the county side, but everything is either above or below our target price--plus there REALLY isn't that much available.

We've sort of narrowed down the choices to the Fallstaff area or to the Ranchleigh/Beazer area. Can anyone tell me what the neighborhoods are like? We're ba'al teshuva, chareidi-lite, though I generally resist labels.

TIA!

BrachaC

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 10:23 pm
It sounds like you are going for the very high end of the Baltimore real-estate market. It would help if you could narrow down your price range for us. Fallstaff area is for sure city, which means your taxes double. In Fallstaff you have a few options for shuls, most are geared to a very young population, but you do have more access to more shuls. In Ranchleigh you are pretty much either going to Rabbi Seidemann, or to Rabbi Naiman's shul, but probably Rabbi Seidemann from your description. If you do have a few options over there take careful note of whether they are city or county, I know people who ended up buying city because they had no clue. Also, it is very common here to buy a smaller house and make a HUGE addition so keep your options open.

ArthurDent

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 10:25 pm
Oh, and what can you tell me about the area around the Greenspring Ave/Pimlico Rd. area near the Agudah of Greenspring?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 10:38 am
(What is your price range?)

Greenspring you have a few options of shul so you can find the one that suits you best -- whether it's Agudah of Greenspring, Shomrei, Rabbi Seidemann, etc...

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 10:42 am
In my area (right near Teichman), a ton of houses are on the market, and a lot of frum families have moved to this neighborhood in the past couple years.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:59 pm
All the areas you're mentioning are so nice. After 9 years here, I would go for Ranchleigh first, Greenspring/Pimlico second, Falstaff third.

Aguda of Greenspring is a WONDERFUL shul. Such great families, childrens groups. I don't go there because its kind of far, but I love it everytime I'm there for a kiddush or something. Seidmann shul is nice. Naimans is more heimish and more Aguda-like. I know all the rabbis families at those shuls and of course they are all special.

Your choices are all of good neighborhoods with nice shuls. You really won't go wrong in any of them, but you'll save on taxes in the long term if you choose county.

(anon to protect matching my sn with my location)

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 2:08 pm
ArthurDent wrote:
Oh, and what can you tell me about the area around the Greenspring Ave/Pimlico Rd. area near the Agudah of Greenspring?

You don't want to go too south of the Agudah of Greenspring- there's probably not much there anyway, but the frum community sorta pans out. North of the Agudah, you have a nice mix of old/middle-aged/young and yeshivish/plain O/MO. I think there's a lot of mid 30's/40's, definitely some BT's, but prob not majority. Majority have internet and TV, but also cover hair, wear skirts.
Ranchleigh/Beazer and Fallstaff have simliar hashkafa.

All the shuls in Balto are great (ok maybe I'm a biased baltimorean). R' Seidemann and R' Shuchatowitz (agudah of g.s.) are very special. Shomrei's rav is going on sabbatical this year (may or may not come back after) so dunno who they're gonna have.

Tova

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 7:13 pm
I've lived in Baltimore for 23 years and never heard of the Fallstaff area referred to as "Beazer" before!?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 9:08 pm
If possible, you might want to choose your shul and then decide on the neighborhood.

I go to the Agudah of Greenspring -- good mix of ages and backgrounds (and lots of BT's), and we try hard to be friendly. PM me if you have specific questions or would like to spend a Shabbos here. The Cheswolde neighborhood (in the city and one of the Greenspring neighborhoods) where I live is rather wooded, and some of the houses here are very interesting architecturally -- many have been remodeled and/or have additions.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 9:38 pm
Tova wrote:
I've lived in Baltimore for 23 years and never heard of the Fallstaff area referred to as "Beazer" before!?

beazer is referring to the new development after ranchleigh...not the fallstaff area.

Tova

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 10:21 pm
amother wrote:
Tova wrote:

beazer is referring to the new development after ranchleigh...not the fallstaff area.

Ahhh...got it. Thanks.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 11:55 pm
I also lived in Baltimore a long long time and never heard of Beazer. Is it on the way to BY High School? Why is it called Beazer? Are frum people buying there?

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
I also lived in Baltimore a long long time and never heard of Beazer. Is it on the way to BY High School? Why is it called Beazer? Are frum people buying there?

Yes, that's it. Beazer is the name of the company developing it. Isn't it really called The Parke at Mt. Washington? Beazer is also the company that did/is doing the Quarry, so I don't think "The Parke" should be referred to as "Beazer." I'm not sure what it really goes by. We call it "the new houses on Smith near Edenvale or BY." There are quite a number of frum people who bought there- young and old alike. I think the frum try to stay closer to Edenvale and not further down (up?) on Smith.

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 12:06 pm
Oh, and Tova, you only lived here 23 years? Have I lived here the longest? 27 years! Oh, actually I didn't live here for about 2 years at one point, so I guess 25 years in total.

baskrox

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 12:27 pm
I live here 26 years. I am the winner!!!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 12:35 pm
baskrox wrote:
I live here 26 years. I am the winner!!!

If I stayed in Baltimore, I'd beat you.

My mom has been there for 56 years.

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:
My mom has been there for 56 years.

Is she on imam? Wink

Oh, and ArthurDent, sorry for hijacking your thread!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 2:45 pm
I've been here 29 years. (sorry I'm anonymous!)

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 2:49 pm
613 wrote:
amother wrote:

Yes, that's it. Beazer is the name of the company developing it. Isn't it really called The Parke at Mt. Washington? Beazer is also the company that did/is doing the Quarry, so I don't think "The Parke" should be referred to as "Beazer." I'm not sure what it really goes by. We call it "the new houses on Smith near Edenvale or BY." There are quite a number of frum people who bought there- young and old alike. I think the frum try to stay closer to Edenvale and not further down (up?) on Smith.

Yeah, I was confused because I'd also seen a Beazer sign by the quarry.

ArthurDent

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 5:06 pm
Sorry guys, my realtor was calling that area near the BY the Beazers. I presume b/c not many frum ppl are buying near the Quarry, so that's why she called the Parke the "beazers".

I've got my eye on a house on Greenspring, but it's a block and a half south of the Agudah of Greenspring, plus there is apparently no sidewalk on Greenspring! (The house does at least have an entrance on the Pimlico side, but what if I want to go to friends on the western side of Greenspring?) I'm sorta shy and it's hard for me to make friends, so I know that putting myself further away from the community can put me at a disadvantage. On the other hand, it's only a block and a half. Will that make that big of a difference? Will no one come to me for shabbos? Will my daughter (3 yrs old) have no one to play with?

We're also looking at houses in the Fallstaff area, but many of them require a lot of work and may end up costing more than we can afford. However, we'd be closer to the few friends we know already living in Balto.

We'd like to buy in the county, but only a handful of houses are on sale there and the few that are available don't really appeal to me.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating