Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Logical Puzzle
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Motek

Post Sun, Jan 02 2005, 9:19 pm
(from a chess website)

There are logical puzzles that are very difficult, and some that are trivially easy. But there is one that is both. At least in my experience. I have told the following to a substantial number of people. About half look at me in bafflement and do not know what the problem is. The solution is so obvious to them that they have to see someone ponder over it for an hour to believe that anyone could not see it instantaneously. Well, here's the problem, with apologies to those of you who have heard it before.

Recently a friend told me the following story about the death of his grandfather: "My grandparents used to go to church on Sundays. One day during the sermon, which was long and dry, my grandfather fell asleep. That week he had been reading a novel about the French Revolution and began to dream that he was a rich aristocrat living in a beautiful chateau in France. Suddenly there was a commotion outside. A mob of peasants appeared, stormed the house, grabbed him and tied him up, dragged him to the market square, where there was a platform with a guillotine set up. My grandfather was led up the stairs, a priest muttered a few words to him and then his head was placed in the cradle of the guillotine. A hooded executioner approached and reached up for the lever that releases the blade. At that moment my grandfather was snoring quite loudly, so my grandmother reached out and pinched him on the back of his neck to wake him up. This was such a shock to my grandfather that he suffered a heart attack and died on the spot."
My reaction to the story of my friend: "I don't believe a word of that. You made it up." Why did I react in this way, how did I know the story is not true.

If you belong to the 50% of the population who get it immediately, try it on other members of your family, on friends and acquaintances. You will be amazed how thoroughly stumped some of them can be. Like the world-class chess player, whom out of politeness we will not identify. We gave him this puzzle during a Japanese lunch, and he mulled over it all through the Miso and Sushi. We discussed the history of the French Revolution and the mechanics of the guillotine and in particular the height of the lever. At one stage he made us repeat the puzzle in order to cleverly identify minor deviations from the original version ("That way I know that those details are irrelevant!"). As the meal came to an end he was becoming unpleasant and rude, so we had to tell him the solution. The Elo of our Super-GM friend is well above 2700.

Incidentally we will not be publishing the solution to this problem. You will know instantly and with complete certainty that you have the solution when you find it. There is no question or debate.

Ozmom

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 3:38 am
the answer has been taken out so others can have a chance to figure it out first.

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 6:13 am
I was always lousy at logic problems, including this one! I plan to repeat it to family and friends and see if they get it.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 11:59 am
Mootek, this is a really good one!
which web page did this come from?

Ozmom, great!

My 1st thought was that the priest didn't belong in the dream, b/c I don't think they were w/ the mobs - unless my history classes are completely forgotten....

Yael

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 1:12 pm
I didnt get it right away. but when I scrolled down I jumped when I read ozmom's answer.
I wonder if I had had more time to think about it if I would have gotten it.
so I took out the answer to give others a chance to think.
if you really want to know the answer you can pm motek or ozmom since they know.

Motek

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 1:20 pm
it's from chessbase.com

take heart, if the super grandmaster didn't get it, you don't have to feel inferior!

I know the answer though I didn't figure it out. My father, who figured it out, told me.

my mother said she would NEVER have figured it out, but I think that given time, it might have hit me, I'll never know ...

Rivka

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 4:00 pm
I love these things but I got it straight away, even so I thought it was brilliant, I will now try it on hubby.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 4:08 pm
thanks, Motek 8)

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 4:23 pm
It took me quite a few readings to figure it out, but I got it! Very cute!

Ozmom

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 5:19 pm
oops sorry

sarahd

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 3:42 pm
Motek, I e-mailed this to a bunch of people and gots lots of satisfied responses. Thanks!

Crayon210

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 6:21 pm
This is an ancient thread, I just found it, and Googled the answer...oy, I'm embarrassed.

Hannah!

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 6:30 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Thu, May 01 2008, 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 6:52 pm
too bad I heard a very similar problem many years ago, so I knew the answer before I even read the story.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 7:51 pm
Oh pleeease, someone PM me the answer!!!

GAMZu

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 8:00 pm
OMG, never mind... LOL

red sea

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 8:14 pm
very cute

yo'ma

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 8:17 pm
When I was trying to figure it out, it was cute, but when I did, it was like oh Speechless

Esther23

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 9:40 pm
that was a very good one, though I have to admit I only got it on the second time reading it.

thanks! I love these brainteasers, got any more?

Clarissa

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 10:14 pm
Good one. I didn't get it until the second time I read it.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics