Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is 2 years nursing clean for real?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 11:10 am
There have been several threads where people mentioned in the times of Gemara, women nursed clean for 2 yrs and then had a baby leading to age gap of 2 yrs, 9 mos.
However, Leah Imeinu (as one teacher put it) wore maternity clothes for 4 years straight. DH learned once Mashiach comes, a women will be able to get pregnant while already pregnant! How does all this jive together?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 11:30 am
Leah Imeinu was not in the times of the gemara.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 11:50 am
It is possible but it depends on how you nurse. If you only nurse without pumping then you can nurse clean. With pumping, its not as efficient as nursing and that can ruin your chances of nursing clean. My personal experience. When I worked and had to give bottles of pumped milk I found that I got my period much earlier than when I didnt have to work and only nursed without ever giving a bottle.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 2:48 pm
So far I'm on 12 months nursing clean! First time ever. Wonder how much longer I can go. I'm not worried so much about pregnancy. I just don't want my period. Life is so much easier being clean all the time.

mommalah

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 3:02 pm
I nursed clean until 20 months. I agree with the above poster who said that pumping (even if baby is getting breastmilk exclusively) will bring your period back sooner as opposed to solely breastfeeding. Nursing clean until 2 years is very possible. Way back when mothers were around their babies day and night and likely nursed them day and night. And that's why they nursed clean, probably for a lot more than 2 years....But what can I say? Times have definitely changed and that's why we hardly hear of women nursing clean for so long. We also might not hear about the few cases who do go this long because of the unfortunate stigma attached to extended breastfeeding.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 3:11 pm
I don't know about in the time of gemara, but in some societies women are off limits to their husbands while nursing.

I think better nutrition has had a big effect on not nursing clean.

mommalah

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 3:14 pm
[quote="Raisin"]I don't know about in the time of gemara, but in some societies women are off limits to their husbands while nursing.

I think better nutrition has had a big effect on not nursing clean.
Can you explain?

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 3:31 pm
well my baby is 11 months and I'm still going strong, but for me it's not a kuntz, with PCOS. I dont know if my lack of pds is due to nursing, pcos, or a combination of both...

Strudel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 3:36 pm
Many women say they're still nursing clean to cover up the fact that they are actually on BC.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 3:41 pm
Strudel wrote:
Many women say they're still nursing clean to cover up the fact that they are actually on BC.

Why in the world would they need to say that to cover it up?
The people I know who nursed clean...nursed clean.

momomany

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 3:49 pm
I nursed clean for about 2 years - was NOT on bc at the time. I nursed all night long. as soon as I started night waening, my period came for a visit, then went away again when I stopped trying to night wean

Inspired

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:02 pm
Strudel wrote:

What motivation do women outside of a very small and specific population who have had lactation amenorrhea have for lying?

OP, there are plenty of studies you can read about LA.
Here is a book:
http://books.google.co.il/book.....32,M1

There are many factors that come into play. The WHO study looked at 60 or more.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:16 pm
I think most of us are missing OP's point. It's not that she doesn't believe people nurse clean....but how is it that it was one way in the times of the avos, another during gemara, and back to the way it was when moshiach comes?

Hey, maybe the fact that the average length for LA is 14 months these days instead of 2 is a sign moshiach is coming Wink

Truth is, in the times of the gemara, I'm not even sure they gave solids before 2. It could likely be they nursed clean because they exclusively nursed. We women today, in our busy lives and weakened states can't realistically expect to EBF that long, and that's why our periods/fertility on average returns sooner...

Inspired

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:20 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
We women today, in our busy lives and weakened states can't realistically expect to EBF that long, and that's why our periods/fertility on average returns sooner...

There are many reasons for it. Including that babies are not with the mother constantly, from birth. That in the hospital they go to the nursery, are given bottlees by "helpful" grandmothers, etc. If someone actually wants to try to have LA for as long as possible they need to start with having their baby with them at all times, from birth, suckling or nuzzling the breast as much as possible and no sucking replacements, only the breast.

greentiger

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:24 pm
Inspired wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
We women today, in our busy lives and weakened states can't realistically expect to EBF that long, and that's why our periods/fertility on average returns sooner...

There are many reasons for it. Including that babies are not with the mother constantly, from birth. That in the hospital they go to the nursery, are given bottlees by "helpful" grandmothers, etc. If someone actually wants to try to have LA for as long as possible they need to start with having their baby with them at all times, from birth, suckling or nuzzling the breast as much as possible and no sucking replacements, only the breast.

Sometimes that doesn't work either.

I'm convinced it has to do with artificial hormones in the food we eat.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:29 pm
Yeah -- between soy and caffeine with all the estrogen, milk pumped up with hormones fed to cows, etc I think our hormonal balances are different.

Inspired

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:30 pm
greentiger wrote:
Inspired wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Right, there are many possible factors. The WHO study included 60+, as I said. Above
I said if someone wants to try, the suggestions I gave are a start. No one will guarantee it will work, but giving supplements from day one, sending them to the hospital nursery at birth for hours at a time, etc. are not going to help accomplish LA. That is proven by studies.

Strudel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:48 pm
Inspired wrote:
greentiger wrote:
Inspired wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Right, there are many possible factors. The WHO study included 60+, as I said. Above
I said if someone wants to try, the suggestions I gave are a start. No one will guarantee it will work, but giving supplements from day one, sending them to the hospital nursery at birth for hours at a time, etc. are not going to help accomplish LA. That is proven by studies.

In an ideal world, but some mothers are very sick after giving birth and can't take care of the baby without some help right after birth.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:52 pm
I got my period at 6 weeks while only nursing! My baby sleeps through the night though since she was born (she's 3 months now) but at 6 weeks I was still waking her up for feedings. I don't get it!

Mini Cookie

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 4:52 pm
mommalah wrote:
I nursed clean until 20 months. I agree with the above poster who said that pumping (even if baby is getting breastmilk exclusively) will bring your period back sooner as opposed to solely breastfeeding.

Really? So if I'm away from my baby for 5 hours I should rather not nurse at all than pump?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics