Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sharing babysitter

happydw

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 11:08 pm
I'm considering sharing a babysitter to save a lot of money each week. Right now she comes to my home and babysits DS for 10 hours a day (shorter hours on Friday) and she does light housekeeping. She is really wonderful and we're thrilled with her. Thing is, although we could probably "afford" paying her by cutting back on minor things and living semi-comfortably, I also could be saving over $150 a week. I have a friend who lives nearby and she also needs a babysitter. We discussed sharing my babysitter in my home. It's good because I don't want to shlep DS out and I still get the light housekeeping end of the deal, but I don't know how I feel about sharing.

DS will be 5 months old and the other baby will be 7 months old - do you think it would be ok to share a babysitter? Has anyone had any exprience? Any suggestions? Although we could make it through and have her privately, it would help us financially to share with someone...

amother

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 7:58 pm
Excuse me but I'm wondering -- how can you leave your 5 month old baby with a babysitter for 10 hours a day?! That's a lot!

sv9506

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 8:52 pm
amother - the OP was not asking your opinion on leaving her DS for 10 hours a day - but about sharing her babysitter. Most women who work full time need a babysitter for 10 hours (8 hours work and 1 hour commute each way). Please don't make her feel bad about it since you don't know her situation.

OP - You should definitely speak to the babysitter and make sure that she doesn't mind adding an extra child, because if she is great then you don't want to risk upsetting her. Also if she takes on another kid then there is a very good chance that she won't be able to continue doing the light housework. Regardless of all of that, I sent my son to a babysitter who watched another child that was two months older than my son and it worked out beautifully. The other child was a preemie and therefore hit a few milestones on the later end of normal and DS was always trying to keep up - so he was right at her level. (Example - he walked on the earlier end of normal because she was doing it and so it pushed him.) So I would say that you should find out what the other kid is up to and see if it would be good for your child (like if that kid is too far ahead then they might not play well together). DS and the other child played so well together and were really like best friends!!! I love it and it worked very well for us!

soldat

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 9:14 pm
my neice joins my bunch and we share a babysitter
I pay more then my sister because A) its at my house B) I have more kids - we pay the baysitter a little extra for the days that my neice comes.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 8:09 am
amother wrote:
Excuse me but I'm wondering -- how can you leave your 5 month old baby with a babysitter for 10 hours a day?! That's a lot!

sheeesh, some people work! since their baby is 3 month old, or (in other countries) earlier

My kid's caregiver has a daughter. She works full time, and has 2 HOURS EACH WAY because suburb to suburb transportation is a horror. She is frum and has several kids and all let them at 3 months like this.

sarahla

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 10:08 am
sv9506 wrote:
amother - the OP was not asking your opinion on leaving her DS for 10 hours a day - but about sharing her babysitter. Most women who work full time need a babysitter for 10 hours (8 hours work and 1 hour commute each way). Please don't make her feel bad about it since you don't know her situation.

OP - You should definitely speak to the babysitter and make sure that she doesn't mind adding an extra child, because if she is great then you don't want to risk upsetting her. Also if she takes on another kid then there is a very good chance that she won't be able to continue doing the light housework. Regardless of all of that, I sent my son to a babysitter who watched another child that was two months older than my son and it worked out beautifully. The other child was a preemie and therefore hit a few milestones on the later end of normal and DS was always trying to keep up - so he was right at her level. (Example - he walked on the earlier end of normal because she was doing it and so it pushed him.) So I would say that you should find out what the other kid is up to and see if it would be good for your child (like if that kid is too far ahead then they might not play well together). DS and the other child played so well together and were really like best friends!!! I love it and it worked very well for us!

I agree with you about asking bbsiter if she ok, you never know she might even ask more money now that there is an extra kid (some do this)

amother

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 11:45 am
amother wrote:

YAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a troll here.

egam

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 12:00 pm
sarahla wrote:

I agree with you about asking bbsiter if she ok, you never know she might even ask more money now that there is an extra kid (some do this)

I do believe that babysitter should be paid more for 2 kids. It will still save you money. But she might not be able to do as much housework as now if kids are on different schedule. But 5 and 7 month should be OK. When my DS was little my Mom watched one more baby in my house and it worked out well.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 12:10 pm
I think it can work to phenomenal. Be clear with the baby wipes, bibs issue up front so that it doesn't become a full blown thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics