Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What is the most affordable frum community in america...?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 3:20 pm
When we were moving to Chicago from Phx, a NY friend of my parents asked: "Is there much of a community there" shock . Meyleh St. Louis... but Chicago!!!! shock

amother

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 3:28 pm
mominisrael2 wrote:
Ummm, I'm the only St. Louisan to have made aliyah recently!! (And the only one obsessed with Hello Kitty...)

hmmm... that still doesn't do it for me. maybe you're from the chesterfield community - then I wouldn't know... and how does Hello Kitty give you away - I don't know anyone in stl specifically who is obsessed with Hello Kitty...?
also what is tachlis?

mominisrael2

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
mominisrael2 wrote:
Ummm, I'm the only St. Louisan to have made aliyah recently!! (And the only one obsessed with Hello Kitty...)

hmmm... that still doesn't do it for me. maybe you're from the chesterfield community - then I wouldn't know... and how does Hello Kitty give you away - I don't know anyone in stl specifically who is obsessed with Hello Kitty...?
also what is tachlis?

Nope, U. Citian since I was eight...maybe I don't know you? Which is weird since it's such a small community...give me some clues about you. Tachlis is an email list that gives advice to people making aliyah...and I got lots of that from Tamiri! Smile

amother

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 3:57 pm
block or BY? I went to BY...

mominisrael2

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:24 am
LOL, that explains it!! I was in Block for 2 years, graduated from public school...and you must be way younger than me, since there was no BY when I was in high school!! Smile

amother

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 1:20 am
nicole81 wrote:
why is san francisco on that list of affordable communities posted above???!!

I don't find it that expensive to rent here. There are very affordable homes within walking distance of Adath Israel. There's also more work in the city. However, it's very expensive to buy a home.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 2:05 am
Tamiri wrote:
Do I know you as well, from Tachlis?

What is Tachlis?
(no its meaning)

amother

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 3:18 am
mominisrael2 wrote:
LOL, that explains it!! I was in Block for 2 years, graduated from public school...and you must be way younger than me, since there was no BY when I was in high school!! Smile

Does your family live in stl? I wonder if I'd know you anyhow...

chavamom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 9:29 am
amother wrote:
The cleveland clinic, for example, requires all its employees, emergency or not, doctors or not, to work on shabbos. Of course, you can try suing for religious descrimination, but you can't PROVE that the reason they didnt hire you was because of the shabbos issue.

Actually, having been through this with a job where I was hired with the understanding I wouldn't have to work on shabbos and then getting diciplinary action, this is NOT true. I spoke with several lawyers all of whom told me that they are absolutely allowed to not hire you if you can't work on shabbos b/c they can claim it doesn't meet their needs.

chavamom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 9:31 am
amother wrote:
I have to post this anonymously since anyone who knows me will know why....

HOUSTON, TX!

My husband does not stop. He is forever and ever going on about Houston. How we should all relocate.

One of the main reasons is:
Zoning Laws - there are NO zoning laws in Texas. You can build whatever you want on any plot of land and there are NO RULES! Consequently housing is really cheap.

I can go on and on about Houston, but I just don't have the energy since my DH is so obsessed I am just sick of the topic.

But if you are interested here is a link to Young Israel of Houston, they have all the information you would need.

http://www.yihouston.org/

Several friends who lived there and left - HATED IT. And the weather is no picnic either.

chavamom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 9:32 am
alpidarkomama wrote:
We are hoping to move to such a community as soon as DH finds a job. On our list: Cleveland (#1), Columbus, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Houston, Detroit, Memphis, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

Slightly more expensive (possible if the right job comes through): Denver, Minneapolis

And more (and we likely won't move to): Atlanta (LOVE that community!!), Phoenix, Las Vegas

I'm in St. Louis if you want to PM me.

chavamom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 9:33 am
mominisrael2 wrote:
Feel free to PM me for more info on St. Louis...VERY affordable, very family-friendly and the frum community is amazing...only drawback is no kosher restaurants!! Sad

Hey, there is Thur. night at Kohn's and Pizza night at Nusach Ari! Rolling Eyes

chavamom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 9:35 am
mominisrael2 wrote:
amother wrote:
mominisrael2 wrote:
Feel free to PM me for more info on St. Louis...VERY affordable, very family-friendly and the frum community is amazing...only drawback is no kosher restaurants!! Sad

Oh I wonder if I know you

My avatar gives away my identity...but only knowing that you (as amother) are unhappy with both schools isn't much of a giveaway on your end!! LOL...

Uh, yeah.

chavamom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 9:37 am
amother wrote:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you have a first name that while common, has a unique spelling?

mominisrael2

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
mominisrael2 wrote:

Does your family live in stl? I wonder if I'd know you anyhow...

Yes, my parents are still there -- but on the other end of town (Bais Abe)...I'm guessing if you are a BY graduate that you currently go to Agudah?

mominisrael2

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:40 am
chavamom wrote:
mominisrael2 wrote:

Hey, there is Thur. night at Kohn's and Pizza night at Nusach Ari! Rolling Eyes

Having lived in NY when I first got married and in Israel now, that doesn't do it for me anymore!! LOL...

mominisrael2

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:43 am
chavamom wrote:
amother wrote:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you have a first name that while common, has a unique spelling?

Is she right? That would answer the identity question for me too...

alpidarkomama

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:55 am
chavamom wrote:
amother wrote:
The cleveland clinic, for example, requires all its employees, emergency or not, doctors or not, to work on shabbos. Of course, you can try suing for religious descrimination, but you can't PROVE that the reason they didnt hire you was because of the shabbos issue.

Actually, having been through this with a job where I was hired with the understanding I wouldn't have to work on shabbos and then getting diciplinary action, this is NOT true. I spoke with several lawyers all of whom told me that they are absolutely allowed to not hire you if you can't work on shabbos b/c they can claim it doesn't meet their needs.

OY. We went through that too a few years ago. My husband was making arrangements for pesach "vacation" days. They told him no, because he was the only one who could perform his job duties. Then they said they would compromise with him and let him have some of the days off. Ha ha. Husband insisted, then they eliminated his position (hmmmm... guess it wasn't so necessary??) and offered him a job with dreadful hours and many skill levels beneath what he was doing. Or he could take a layoff. He took the layoff. Got to be home for all of pesach! Dreadful job, dreadful boss, and then after a difficult year he landed a wonderful job and it's been smooth sailing ever since, B"H. OY.

challi

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 3:41 pm
Are there jobs in the frum community in St. Louis? Or is no one hiring.

mominisrael2

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 12:57 am
challi wrote:
Are there jobs in the frum community in St. Louis? Or is no one hiring.

I think job prospects are going to be iffy no matter where you end up, am I right?? Unfortunately I heard that after we made aliyah, DH's entire department at his old job had been laid off...one thing I can tell you is that people are VERY willing to help each other -- for example, we have been renting out our house in STL until the market goes back up, and once the community found out that the new renters who moved in this week are frum Israelis, they went nuts doing stuff to help -- we had left a few things as part of the rental that we couldn't take with us (like refrigerators and a giant TV), but by the time they came in, the house was FULLY FURNISHED from donations from the community!! I couldn't believe it! I'm confident that the same thing applies to job searches -- everyone is so willing to use their proteksia and it's really a wonderful thing.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics