Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What is the most affordable frum community in america...?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 2:58 am
which city is divorcee-friendly? Which city can a single mom (one kid who might be dorming out) find very reasonably priced housing (one bedroom.)

Having access to a pool with women's only hours and/or other tzniut exercise options is more important to me than a resturant. As far as stores, we don't keep chalav yisrael, so this gives some flexibility. I also like to hike so I would like a city that has trails that are not too far away.

(I might be considering Eretz Yisrael though and would like feedback on this too.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 10:23 am
There are definitely apartments in the Cincinnati Jewish community that are extremely affordable.
There are parks within a 15 minute drive with trails...there is a park actually 5 minutes away...
I haven't lived there since the new JCC opened up to tell you much about separate swimming/exercise there -- I can find out if you think you might be interested.
The community is very welcoming. There are a handful of adults not married, and I think they feel just as involved in the community as "families" do. And you'd get plenty of invitations for Shabbos and the like Wink

amother

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
which city is divorcee-friendly? Which city can a single mom (one kid who might be dorming out) find very reasonably priced housing (one bedroom.)

Having access to a pool with women's only hours and/or other tzniut exercise options is more important to me than a resturant. As far as stores, we don't keep chalav yisrael, so this gives some flexibility. I also like to hike so I would like a city that has trails that are not too far away.

(I might be considering Eretz Yisrael though and would like feedback on this too.)

Detroit really sounds like a great place for you. There are lots of single moms here with housing anywhere from $60,000 (maybe even less!) and upward. The JCC has women's pool hours, exercise room, and there are lots of nice parks around with paths for walking. (There are a few restaurants too!) There's a large spectrum from Chabad, Yeshivish, MO to plain-old-frum living here. Not too many Chassidim, if that's a concern.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 11:45 am
amother wrote:

Do research. Israel is not cheap.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 12:22 pm
My husband, I and baby recently went to Houston for a shabbos to check it out. We were both offered good jobs there and we wanted to get a feel for the community. We LOVED it! The people are friendly and warm, housing is affordable with plenty of outdoor yard space, schools for children, etc.
We are MO and the community we visted was also MO. I didn't really see a yeshivish crowd but I've heard there are some yeshivish people but I'm not sure if they are a very small minority or what. I think if you are MO, this is a community you might enjoy. The people we stayed by were very hospitable and we got to meet several members of the community. It's worth looking into it. It's also a beautiful city - I love the rustic feel of Houston.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 12:39 pm
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:

Do research. Israel is not cheap.

Start another thread. Israel can be cheap if you know how to do it. I mod EY elsewhere and have a lot of resources. I have lived inseveral communities and know others, have bought and sold 3 times and have held jobs and been self employed. I am here 27 yearsl. Or you can pm me

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 12:41 pm
There are too many amothers for clarity, can OP id when posting?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 2:05 pm
o.k. My dh an I would LOVE to move away from the city, we currently live in brooklyn ny. we are chassidish bais yakov type. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? obviosly someplace where we will fit inwearing a shtriemel.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:
o.k. My dh an I would LOVE to move away from the city, we currently live in brooklyn ny. we are chassidish bais yakov type. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? obviosly someplace where we will fit inwearing a shtriemel.

Lakewood?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 2:17 pm
hm that wont work out for us for a number of reasons. do you have any other suggestions?

Atali

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 2:40 pm
Monsey?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 5:30 pm
were thinking about it, allthough we would love to move out of town

FloridaMama

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 5:56 pm
Toronto?

FloridaMama

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 5:57 pm
Montreal?

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 6:34 pm
Buenos Aires, Argentina

chavamom

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 7:02 pm
challi wrote:
Are there jobs in the frum community in St. Louis? Or is no one hiring.

Depends on what kind of job you are looking for.

stem

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 7:58 pm
milwaukee has a chassidish community, I think scranton does too.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 8:05 pm
scranton has maybe one or 2 streimels but most chasidim are lubavitchers. It is a really nice community and cheap but its hard to find jobs...

amother

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 9:24 pm
Does anyone know about L.A. if they have a chassidish community, and any other info. would be appreciated.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 10:33 pm
LA has a chasiddishe community- with schools even. But LA is really expensive!!!! so I guess doesn't fit into this thread...
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics