Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anybody hear of this new vaccine Hpv vaccine?
1  2  Next

Flower97

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 9:56 am
Took my 12 yr old dgtr to the doctor and he told me about this new vaccine. It is for the Human Papilloma Virus which can lead to cervical cancer. Has anyones doctor mentioned this to them?
I don't think I want to try a new vaccine. It also has to be given in a series of 3 doses over 6 months
so you have to figure out ahead of time if your child will be available.
Just wondering what peoples views on this are.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 10:00 am
Here's a thread about it:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....t=hpv

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 10:18 am
Just wanted to add: in addition to my views on that thread that I have looked more into this, and there seem to be significant side effects in terms of gynecological issues. For someone to give the vaccine on the slim possibility that their daughter might "fool around" (assuming she's been brought up with values not to) and might contract HPV and that might not be caught on a pap smear, and the vaccine will take care of that particular strain doesn't seem like the safer conclusion after weighing risks and benefits.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 11:09 am
1. A friend who is a virologist has encouraged me to give my daughter the vaccine (and she has given it to her daughter).

2. it's not a question of whether your daughter will "fool around." Not only do you have no guarantee what her dh will have done before marriage (or who he might have been married to--it gets complicated), there is a BIG additional point that my (frum) pediatrician told me: Can you guarantee 100% that your daughter will never be assaulted? Unfortunately not.

freidasima

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 11:12 am
Agreed in full and I am trying to convince my daughters to take it. It's expensive here and dh and I offered to pay.
One assult and you have to worry for a lifetime. And the side effects seem to be negligible. What gyno side effects did you find out about Hashem Yaazor? I didn't hear of any. Only the usual fears vis a vis vaccinations in general (MS like symptoms neurology etc.).

Also my gyno gave his SON the vaccination, he was on the committee testing it here in EY before it got licensed. Seems that it prevents the genital warts and he didn't want his son catching it from any girl. Turns out that it is the number one reason for the (relatively rare) malignancy of the male organ.

ss321

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 11:18 am
PAMOM wrote:
there is a BIG additional point that my (frum) pediatrician told me: Can you guarantee 100% that your daughter will never be assaulted? Unfortunately not.

but on the same token:
is there more than a - 0% risk that if your daughter is assaulted, you wont bring her to an ER ASAP? I hear that point thrown around alot but really, I am about as pro-vaccine as they come (on this site), and I would never do that to my kid a year after its out on the market.

freidasima

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 11:31 am
To the best of my knowledge Gardisil or whatever it is called in America has been on the market for more than a year, the clinical tests have been going on stage III for 10 years already!

ss321

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 12:11 pm
freidasima wrote:
To the best of my knowledge Gardisil or whatever it is called in America has been on the market for more than a year, the clinical tests have been going on stage III for 10 years already!

google "vioxx"
on the market doesnt make something safe. as educated consumers we have to do our homework, not just listen to what the media tells us.

1 year is nothing.

someone - I think it was glaxosmithkline but correct me if I am wrong - came out with a Rotavirus vaccine about 10 years ago, 98 or 99. Basically, they had gone thru all the stages of FDA approval (thousands of people in double blind placebo studies), and was put on the market. not long afterwards, doctors started reporting a rare, albeit very significant and serious side effect of the vaccine - intussusception, and it was pulled off the market immediately thereafter.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 12:46 pm
1. The chances of getting assaulted, the chances of getting HPV from that assault, the chances that that HPV strain is protected from the vaccine, and the chances that that would not be picked up on a pap smear before it is a problem is incredibly, incredibly slim.
Yes, what one's husband did before marriage is also an issue, but again the chances of all this combined is so incredibly slim that I don't think this is a "gard" for much that it's saving our daughter's lives.

2. In terms of side effects, this should be something EVERYONE researches before giving a vaccine. The side effects of this vaccine include:
Quote:

Serious Adverse Experiences

A total of 102 subjects out of 21,464 total subjects (9- to 26-year-old girls and women and 9- to 15-year-old boys) who received both GARDASIL and placebo reported a serious adverse experience on Day 1-15 following any vaccination visit during the clinical trials for GARDASIL. The most frequently reported serious adverse experiences for GARDASIL compared to placebo and regardless of causality were:

headache (0.03% GARDASIL vs. 0.02% Placebo),
gastroenteritis (0.03% GARDASIL vs. 0.01% Placebo),
appendicitis (0.02% GARDASIL vs. 0.01% Placebo),
pelvic inflammatory disease (0.02% GARDASIL vs. 0.01% Placebo).

One case of bronchospasm and 2 cases of asthma were reported as serious adverse experiences that occurred during Day 1-15 of any vaccination visit.

PID can result in fertility problems.
Quote:

PID can be a very serious, and sometimes life threatening disease. If it is not treated, PID can also cause serious damage to your reproductive system. Scar tissue can form in and around the fallopian tubes or damage other reproductive organs. This tissue damage can result in infertility or an ectopic pregnancy. If you have PID, it is important to seek treatment immediately.

There have been numerous cases of menstrual issues, including excessive bleeding needing emergency care.

I forgot what the percentage is, but it's a significant amount of women who had cervical lesions within 3 years of receiving the vaccine.

In addition to the side effects not mentioned on the drug information, there have been dozens of cases of Hodgkin's Lymphoma diagnosed within a few months of receiving the vaccine, and some of the components in it (HSV6 and EPV) have correlation to it.

There have been quite a few cases of seizures due to the vaccine.

So are we so sure the slim chance that our daughter will somehow catch one of the strains of HPV that the vaccine is made for and will be saved because of this instead of Pap smears is greater than the numerous adverse effects?

freidasima

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 1:43 pm
HY, are you saying that the numerous (how many) cases of Hodgkins lymphoma were from EBV components in the vaccine? OY...

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 2:10 pm
My daughter is on the Pill - for several reasons - but I don't assume she'll "fool around".

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 2:18 pm
I know several people that have gotten HPV......for one of them it has become very serious. These are girls from all different background...and yes I know plenty of "good girls" that fooled around in high school. One of these girls is super chassidish now, I have no idea what her husband knows about her past.

That being said, I am still a bit weary of a new vaccine. It has been on the market for more than a year (it was offered to me 3 years ago, now I am too old for it.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 2:47 pm
freidasima wrote:
HY, are you saying that the numerous (how many) cases of Hodgkins lymphoma were from EBV components in the vaccine? OY...
I have not seen a formal study yet proving or disproving, but considering there is a known link between EBV and Lymphoma, and considering the vaccine includes components of EBV, and the fact that there is a bunch of anecdotal evidence of people who got the shots diagnosed soon after, I think it would be in our daughters' best interest to take these risks seriously.
The vaccine does not seem to be something that is necessary in our world -- even if one is worried about their daughter contracting HPV, regular Pap smears should find the abnormal cells. They are necessary anyway since the vaccine is only for a few strains.

I'd much rather take my chances not giving the vaccine and letting annual exams find any possible issues than risk cancer and infertility for my daughter in the offchance something might happen that could lead to her contracting something that would be of a strain that this particular vaccine would protect against.

freidasima

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 2:49 pm
The other issue is that HPV has been indicated in many if not most cases of neck and throat malignancies as well, mostly from oral s-x, and that the four strains that it protects against seem to be the prevalent ones in 70% of the cases of HPV that become malignant. There is no pap test for the tongue. And that for girls who want to stay virgins is the most likely kind of relations they have before marriage.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 2:54 pm
Don't you think that at the age that the vaccine is given, that this is something your daughter should decide?
Give her both sides of the information...what it protects against, what it doesn't, how one gets the disease, what the side effects are, and have her weigh in.
I don't think frum girls who mess around usually start at 11...rebellion is usually a bit later on, and at those teen years, I think they're asking for freedom...so give them independence on this issue where there might not be one right answer for everyone...

freidasima

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 3:00 pm
You don't want to know the percentage of oral relations in the teens. I think like you that 11 is really young, but at 15-16 one should speak to one's daughter and see what she thinks about the vaccine.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 3:12 pm
Right, but at 15, I think a girl should be old enough to decide for herself if you see it might be necessary.

ss321

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 3:19 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

The vaccine does not seem to be something that is necessary in our world -- even if one is worried about their daughter contracting HPV, regular Pap smears should find the abnormal cells. They are necessary anyway since the vaccine is only for a few strains.

HY, it is not often that I agree with you wholeheartedly on health issuues (vaccines, nursing, etc), but these are my sentiments exactly.
and I am not naive. I know what goes on. Your oral s*x/ throat pap is also a very good point

Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I'd much rather take my chances not giving the vaccine and letting annual exams find any possible issues than risk cancer and infertility for my daughter in the offchance something might happen that could lead to her contracting something that would be of a strain that this particular vaccine would protect against.

well said.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 3:41 pm
(ss321, you'd be surprised how much you do agree with me on vaccines...I usually just want people to be informed and make decisions, but I'm not a "no-vaxer" Wink)

amother

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 4:47 pm
I WISH I HAD GOTTEN THE VACCINE! MY DH GAVE ME HPV AND I NEED TO GET A PAP EVERY 6 MONTHS TO SEE IF THERE ARE C"V ANY CHANGES. THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT BUT GET A VACCINE BEFORE YOU TURN 26.

WHEN MY DAUGHTER I"H TURNS OF AGE TO GET IT I WILL. I THINK 80% OF WOMEN GET SOME SORT OF HPV IN THERE LIFETIME. LOTS OF WOMEN HAVE IT AND DONT EVEN KNOW IT. AND MEN GET PASS IT ON WITHOUT EVER KNOWING THEY ARE CARRIERS.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics