Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Pics on graves
1  2  Next

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 7:57 am
Ok, nothing controversial for me, just an old practice that isn't so done anymore, but that I have seen in many different countries. Some kept saying it was, a best, a practice for the moderns and that it was most probably ossur because you don't imitate the non jews. Judge for yourself.

http://www.hassidout.tv/sj/ind.....mment

ss321

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 8:00 am
Ive never seen this in america, interesting.

octopus

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 8:49 am
ss321, I think we live in the same location. I most certainly HAVE seen full sized pics of ppl on graves- walk down mcDonald avenue- there is a place that does it. I have not seen it in a religious cemetery, though.

red sea

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 9:55 am
There is most certainly pics on older gravestones in religious cemeterys too (in nyc area) . Idk if it was a practice of those times or a practice of those times for more modern.

Last edited by red sea on Tue, Jun 16 2009, 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

mommalah

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 9:58 am
I think the cemetery on Mcdonald is Jewish. There are a lot of Russians and I believe they are very into the whole picture thing. It is for sure not common for American religious Jews.

Twoisacharm

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 10:01 am
I like it!!! I think it gives some kinda weird personality to the grave - imagine many many many years down the line when our great great grandchildren go to visit...they can see exactly what we looked like!!!!!!!

morbid thoughts I guess....

ss321

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 10:14 am
octopus wrote:
ss321, I think we live in the same location. I most certainly HAVE seen full sized pics of ppl on graves- walk down mcDonald avenue- there is a place that does it. I have not seen it in a religious cemetery, though.

oh! I meant not seeing it in a JEWISH cemetary. the cemetary on ocean parkway (thats what you mean right?) definitely has those. maybe non religious ones have pics too? ive never seen it at any of the cemeteries Ive been to (not many. Israeli ones and some in Queens)

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 10:16 am
I don't think I've ever seen those pictures of Rebbetzin Rivka. They don't look familiar at all. I wonder where they're from and who got a hold of them and how.

red sea

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 10:17 am
red sea wrote:
There is most certainly pics on older gravestones in religious cemeterys too (in nyc area) . Idk if it was a practice of those times or a practice of those times for more modern.

ss321 wrote:
octopus wrote:

oh! I meant not seeing it in a JEWISH cemetary. the cemetary on ocean parkway (thats what you mean right?) definitely has those. maybe non religious ones have pics too? ive never seen it at any of the cemeteries Ive been to (not many. Israeli ones and some in Queens)

Just wanted to add of frum people, just to be precise,

tovasmom

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 10:53 am
Washington Cemetary, which is the one on MacDonald Avenue, is most definitely a Jewish Cemetary. It is true that you only see the pictures on the gravestones nowadays with the non-religious Jews (who btw care enough to be buried in a Jewish cemetary) and specifically the Russian Jews. The other cemetaries in the NY area (Queens/Brooklyn) where plenty of frum people are buried also have them because of the Russian Jews.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 7:00 pm
GR wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen those pictures of Rebbetzin Rivka. They don't look familiar at all. I wonder where they're from and who got a hold of them and how.

I've never seen a picture of Rebbetzin Rivka at all (I think). Where are there pictures of her?

ETA: That's the daughter of the Tzemach Tzedek, not the Rebbe Maharash's Rebbetzin. You've seen pictures of her also?

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 7:05 pm
I haven't seen it in any frum cemeteries. You certainly don't see it by rabbonim in Europe, etc. I'm assuming it's a practice in some cultures, and those who are accustomed to that.

farmom

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 7:56 pm
It's interesting. The Russian also says Riva, as opposed to Rivka.

How is it the daughter of the tzemach tzedek if it's bas levi yitzchok?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 8:10 pm
no comprar franceis

but I've seen plenty of pictures ... while I find them interesting not sure if I'd like it for myself ...

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 9:59 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
GR wrote:

I've never seen a picture of Rebbetzin Rivka at all (I think). Where are there pictures of her?

ETA: That's the daughter of the Tzemach Tzedek, not the Rebbe Maharash's Rebbetzin. You've seen pictures of her also?

Whoops, I should have written, I've never seen those pictures, of Rebbetzin Rivka.

I've never seen any pictures of any Rebbetzin Rivka. I'd think if pictures existed we would have seen them by now.

Where'd they come from? And who put them up there?

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 10:15 pm
Uh, read the gravestone. That's not the daughter of the Tzemach Tzedek. Bas Reb Levi Yitzchak Schneerson?

Anybody know whose grave this is? Lived 1878- 1956?

Crayon210

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 11:11 pm
Yeah, I realized that. My French (even with Google) is not too hot. LOL

1878-1956...that's not Rebbetzin Rivka. Hmm. It must be a cousin. Hmm.

bbmom

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 8:28 am
I just did a little Lubavitch geography-

The Tzemach Tzedek had a daughter named Devorah Leah who married someone named Levi Yitzchok. They had a daughter named Rivka who married a cousin named Yehuda Leib who was a great grandson of the Tzemach Tzedek. The Hayom Yom lists 3 great grandsons with that name and it isn't clear which one he is.

I think that's what the caption underneath the picture is trying to say.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 8:33 am
This is the einikel, not the daughter. She was married with a cousin as was almost always the case by the Schneersons, Yehouda Leib Schneerson.

I didn't know in Russia the frum had pics, but I had already noticed it in France, Italy, etc (it seems nowadays it's not done anymore), once mentioned it on Imamother and got told no frum every did it. So I found this article interesting especially on a chassidish site!

gryp

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 9:12 am
Ruchel, can you translate the gravestone? I'm still confused. Why does it mention a "Mussia bas R' Yehuda Leib" and it looks like the years I mentioned are referring to her.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics