Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
How do I make a healthy (ier) pareve frosting?
1  2  3  Next

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 10:14 am
Is there such thing?

The only thing I can think of is if I'd use the pareve cream cheese for a cream cheese frosting but that wouldn't taste great with the blueberry cupcakes I made.

Any ideas?

freidasima

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 10:22 am
Sprinkle powdered sugar over a chocolate lekach cake.
Otherwise there is no way...

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 10:28 am
Maybe I'll just do the powdered sugar/water glaze. I just realized I probably don't have so much powdered sugar. Rolling Eyes I didn't plan so well for this birthday season we're having here. I'm out of eggs, powdered sugar, vanilla, and cupcake holders. Rolling Eyes

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 10:47 am
so I guess you have the blueberries ...

the tofutti cream cheese frosting sounds good ... with powedered sugar and vanilla ...

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 10:47 am
My daughter made a delicious frosting from a new recipe book with only parev desserts - it was from soy milk and chocolate pudding mix.

pecan

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 11:16 am
Tofutti cream cheese is not healthy. It has trans fat. I don't generally make frosting but I'm sure there are better ones.

HooRYou

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 11:35 am
Melt chocolate and soy milk for genache

mix cocoa, powered sugar and water for chocolate glaze.

Cook cocoa, sugar and a dribble of water until smooth. You can add flour or margarine (not healthy but you only need a TBL or 2) to thicken if desired

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 11:41 am
I ended up just making a thick glaze from powdered sugar/water/cocoa. They aren't beautiful but my kids were staring open-mouthed, so that's good enough for me.

Keep the ideas coming. Smile I did think it wasn't possible but I like what I'm reading and I have more birthdays coming up.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 1:42 pm
if you have alef beis letters (from foam or cut out from paper) you can put the letters on the cake, sprinkle over icing sugar, remove and there you are. Maye you can puree strawberries, mangos or other fruits to drizzle over.

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 1:51 pm
How would I do that, if I pureed some fruits, what would I have to add to it to make it a good spreading consistency?

I also realized I have a bag of marshmallows (years old, LOL) I could try and make into a spread. Healthy or not, they've been sitting around and begging to be used.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:16 pm
I don't know what it's called but there is a frosting like marshmallow fluff. I think you make it over a double boiler BUT it may contain corn syrup. Maybe a more serious cake decorator here knows what I'm talking about.

sped

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 3:46 pm
HooRYou wrote:
Melt chocolate and soy milk for genache

Can you please post the proportions? I always did it with Rich's whip but soy milk sounds much, much better.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 4:42 pm
GR wrote:
How would I do that, if I pureed some fruits, what would I have to add to it to make it a good spreading consistency?

I also realized I have a bag of marshmallows (years old, LOL) I could try and make into a spread. Healthy or not, they've been sitting around and begging to be used.

not so much as a frosting, but to decorate the cake - use a piping bag to pour it on in lines or words. I guess it would be pretty runny. I haven't tried this but people use that sort of thing to decorate desserts.

entropy

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 7:40 pm
I think you can roll marzipan into a thin sheet and place it over the cake. I haven't tried this but I've been planning to.

freidasima

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 7:02 am
Marzipan is great, my daughter does this all the time.

But where does it say that tofutti fake sour cream has trans fat? I read the hebrew label and all it says is "vegetable stabilizers" and "vegetable fat". Since when is that trans? Is there something on the english label that says it which we don't get here in EY?

OK just googled it and found someone who said that there had been a "sour supreme" which had hydrogenated veg. oil but that tofutti made another one which doesn't have this in it and it's fine.

Is this the one we get in EY? Any way to check? It doesn't have the american name and it's in hebrew, everything including the plastic package writing, not just a stick on label...

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 9:18 am
freidasima wrote:

But where does it say that tofutti fake sour cream has trans fat? I read the hebrew label and all it says is "vegetable stabilizers" and "vegetable fat". Since when is that trans? Is there something on the english label that says it which we don't get here in EY?

OK just googled it and found someone who said that there had been a "sour supreme" which had hydrogenated veg. oil but that tofutti made another one which doesn't have this in it and it's fine.

Is this the one we get in EY? Any way to check? It doesn't have the american name and it's in hebrew, everything including the plastic package writing, not just a stick on label...

my health food store stopped stocking tofutti cream cheese because they said it was too unhealthy.

entropy

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 9:41 am
freidasima wrote:

oooh, can you please explain how it's done?

alpidarkomama

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:13 pm
This has sugar, but at least it has tofu too! Smile

Puree one cake of tofu with 1/2 cup of sugar.
Melt one bag of chocolate chips.
Puree it into the tofu mixture.

This makes an incredibly rich, silky frosting. And NOBODY will guess it's tofu. I've tried other flavors, like lemon, but the tofu flavor is a lot stronger. You could add some instant coffee for a mocha frosting or some mint extract.

You can also serve this in little dishes and call it chocolate mousse. Smile

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:30 pm
alpidarkomama wrote:
This has sugar, but at least it has tofu too! Smile

Puree one cake of tofu with 1/2 cup of sugar.
Melt one bag of chocolate chips.
Puree it into the tofu mixture.

This makes an incredibly rich, silky frosting. And NOBODY will guess it's tofu. I've tried other flavors, like lemon, but the tofu flavor is a lot stronger. You could add some instant coffee for a mocha frosting or some mint extract.

You can also serve this in little dishes and call it chocolate mousse. Smile

Firm tofu?

willow

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:31 pm
shalhevet wrote:
My daughter made a delicious frosting from a new recipe book with only parev desserts - it was from soy milk and chocolate pudding mix.

Could you post the recipe?
Thank you
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins