Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Going back to 1800s- what would you miss most
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:09 pm
Seraph wrote:
Raisin wrote:
the only thing that would be nice is living near all your friends and family, you were much more likely to do that in those days.

when in 1800s are we talking about? 1800 or 1890?
I just randomly chose the 1800s. Replace that with 1700 if you will. I just meant before modern technology took over.

things like the railway, plumbing, gas lights and so on were around at the end of the 19th century. also education was more common.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:13 pm
Raisin wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Raisin wrote:
the only thing that would be nice is living near all your friends and family, you were much more likely to do that in those days.

I just randomly chose the 1800s. Replace that with 1700 if you will. I just meant before modern technology took over.

things like the railway, plumbing, gas lights and so on were around at the end of the 19th century. also education was more common.
Ok, then change that number to the 1700s.

cassandra

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:15 pm
Well, if we keep going backwards I might have to change my answer. I would not like to have lived in the Middle Ages.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:17 pm
Shampoo.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:21 pm
Seraph wrote:
Raisin wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Ok, then change that number to the 1700s.

1800 is probably a good example.

where and when would also make a diffrence. And if you had money or not.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:24 pm
I'd probably miss equal rights things, like women's rights, black's rights, jewish rights, etc. I'd miss the "equality" and fair chance that people in the western world get today.

Health is a Virture

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:27 pm
air conditioning, fan, freezer to stick your head in when hot....did I mention, I AM HOT??

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:55 pm
INDOOR PLUMBING!!!!!!

The thought of having to use a nasty out house makes me cringe. Also only bathes and thats probably a once a week thing for shabbos.

Not only is indoor plumbing a great convenience, it also reduced the spread of disease.

First Lady

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 3:23 pm
Women's Rights!!!

mama-star

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 3:50 pm
washer/dryer

mynameismom

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 6:30 pm
My Iphone LOL

ss321

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 8:01 pm
in order of importance to me:

um, having "hope" that most people will live well into their 70's 80s etc.
modern medicine, most notably antibiotics and sterile technique
not being able to go to school and I probably would have been illiterate being a woman
no internet (not that it would have mattered- again,- woman=no reading=no writing=no typing=internet would have no value to me personally)
never leaving where you live-no airplanes cars etc.

this is fun though!!!
lets do another time period

positive things though:
I dont think society was as immoral in lots of ways
I love the beautiful clothes (although if were choosing based on clothes id rather do the 18th century or my all time favorite 16th century)
"ignorance is bliss"-people seemed happy

DevorahMonsey

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 8:36 pm
I'd miss knowing that I was 200 years closer to Moshiach by living now!

achayl

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 9:06 pm
computers & my ipod
Second runner up would be my washer/dryer

zigi

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 9:17 pm
the cleanliness, people didn't wash as much- understatement, risky child birth and infant mortality.

also if I need new clothes for a kid or me I have to spin yarn... weave... then hand sew the clothing,

there was a program called 1900 house a modern family had to live like the 1900's the hardest part for them was the lack of shampoo.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:25 am
Pickle Lady wrote:
INDOOR PLUMBING!!!!!!

The thought of having to use a nasty out house makes me cringe. Also only bathes and thats probably a once a week thing for shabbos.

Not only is indoor plumbing a great convenience, it also reduced the spread of disease.

Yup. I'd like to be all high-minded and talk about civil rights and educational opportunities. Or at least I'd like to talk about medical advances such as antibiotics and vaccines, or simply medical and public health advances that have reduced maternal and infant mortality rates. Electricity. Technology. If I were to be completely honest, though, it would be plumbing. Flushing. Faucets. I'll confess to being shallow, but it is what I would miss most.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:36 am
I would miss living in a hygienic world. I'd miss my bottle of Purell and the ability to shower every night. Then again, if I wouldn't know any better, I wouldn't miss it...

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 2:24 am
I'm going for modern medicine and indoor plumbing.
Modern medicine coming in way first.
Thinking how many times I could have lost my life, or chas vshalom my children's life without antibiotics - think about it pnemonia, or even a simple throat infection could have been a death sentence.
Not to mention that DD was born with the cord twisted twice around her neck, I don't know how great her chances would be if she were born with no modern intervention. With DS I suffered preeclempsia - another big thumbs up for modern medicine.

I'm not worried about learning to read, I assume, I'd be born to a Jewish family, Jewish girls generaly were taught to read and did have some access to intlectual stimulation.

Another thing is how random life was, espcialy for Jews. If the ruler of whatever district you lived in decided to take all your money, you had to give it to him. If they decided to draft all Jewish boys to the army, you had to do it, he could kick you out of your home without any notice. You could be accused ofa crime you didn't commit or accused of something you may have done which is not a crime, and nobody could do anything about it - you'd be severly punished.
There is a lot to be said about human rights as well.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 2:28 am
Tamiri wrote:
Shampoo.

I once watched a British documentary series, where they took an averege family and had them live in Victorian conditions for a month (or was it several months). The only thing the family really cheated on was shampoo for the mom and daughters Wink
They were middle class Victorians and in the begining the mom would do all housework alone. But she just couldn't cope with the laundry which scalled her hands so she was allowed to "bring in a maid" to do the laundry - I guess that was considered a "necessary luxury" in those times (actually in Israel people didn't have elecric washers until the fifties and they brought in washer women to do their laundry until then - you should hear my MIL's stories).

entropy

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 2:51 am
DevorahMonsey wrote:
I'd miss knowing that I was 200 years closer to Moshiach by living now!

Actually you wouldn't have to live with the knowledge that Mashiach is 200 years tardier than you now know he is. you'd be expecting him in 18xx whereas now you expect him in 2009.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics