Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Going back to 1800s- what would you miss most
Previous  1  2  3  4

pina colada

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 10:36 pm
I would say medical science, as my children were all born via c-section.

Am I the only one who would miss makeup?

ss321

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 4:10 am
they had makeup in the 1800s! they had makeup in the times of Yishayahu, and going back even further they had makeup in the times of Cleopatra (who I think lived around the same time as Shlomo Hamelech? correct?)

Raisin

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 4:25 am
ss321 wrote:
they had makeup in the 1800s! they had makeup in the times of Yishayahu, and going back even further they had makeup in the times of Cleopatra (who I think lived around the same time as Shlomo Hamelech? correct?)

yes, but definately in victorian times nice girls did not wear make up. Only actresses, dancers, and harlots.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 4:37 am
Cleopatra lived not so much before yoshka, much after shlomo hamelech...

Raisin

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 5:40 am
cleopatra lived in roman times.

Tweedledee

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 2:41 pm
Seraph wrote:
If you were suddenly transported back to life in the 1800s, what do you think you'd miss most from your current life?

indoor plumbing, pre shechted chickens

freidasima

Post Sat, Aug 01 2009, 1:06 pm
Truth?
I would miss DH!!!!! Unless I could take him with me.
With him at my side I could cope with everything else.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Aug 01 2009, 5:11 pm
Gladrags, cosleeping, natural childbirth and whole grain bread...oh, they had all that back then?
Then life probbaly, because look at all the "little" medical complications we've all survived, any one of which could have killed us before modern medicine. Although our healthier lifestyles may have prevented them in the first place.

I know people with diabetes. Before synthetic insulin, people died about a year after diagnosis. Then there is asthma, ear infections, flu, pneumonia, childbirth, RH incompatibility, cuts, complicated pregnancies, diarrhea (a big killer), childhood diseases, drowning in the river, domestic abuse kept private, oh there is no end of ways Hashem has saved our lives at this time.

ImaYerushalayim

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 2:17 am
Barbara wrote:
Pickle Lady wrote:
INDOOR PLUMBING!!!!!!

The thought of having to use a nasty out house makes me cringe. Also only bathes and thats probably a once a week thing for shabbos.

Not only is indoor plumbing a great convenience, it also reduced the spread of disease.

Flushing. Faucets. I'll confess to being shallow, but it is what I would miss most.

I quite agree. Whenever I change a particularly messy diaper, and just throw it away, and rinse off my baby's bottom in the sink, I think to myself - HOW DID THEY USED TO DO THIS WITHOUT RUNNING WATER!!!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics