Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Newborn with undescended testicle
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 1:20 pm
Our pediatrician told us that one of our new son's testicles did not drop. He said to wait a year before we have to worry. I've been reading a bunch of stuff that sounds scary. Does anyone's son have this? Does this affect his fertility at all? Thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 1:23 pm
I think I read they usually drop on their own. Don't fret. As far as my reading up on this, fertility is only possibly impacted if it remains undescended after 2...very perfunctory while reading up on a related issue.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 1:26 pm
My friend's son had it. I think they descended on their own. It does not affect fertility if they drop by age 2 (with or without medical intervention). Don't worry, just keep on eye on it. I think that if they descend at all...as in ever...it's no problem at all.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 1:35 pm
I know 2 ppl who had this. From what I learned from both of the families (very close to both):
Most of the time it comes down on it's own.
Whether it descends by itself or if thru medical intervention - they can still have children.

one of them is a grown man, whose parents didn't take care of the situation, and couldn't have children. Eventually he had children thru IVF.
the other is still quite young, but before 2 he had surgery to bring it down.

Wait to see if it comes down by itself. If it has not yet descended by 18 months, I would suggest trying an osteopath, and see if they can do anything about it. They may be able to help you without actual surgery.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 2:33 pm
My son had it - I got VERY upset, being that it was my first child. Then, I read what other services my pediatric urologist does, and B"H my son had none of those issues. The undescended testicle is very common. They check in the beginning and will check at every check-up to see if it has come down on its own. If it hasn't, eventually your doc will recommend a PU for you to see. He'll check your son out and say, either, let's do it, or let's wait. My son he said let's wait, and then around 1 yo, we did it. It was an outpatient surgery. You bring them in in pjs, surgery is very short - sleeping off the drugs takes much longer!

Then, you bring him home and he's fine. My doc is well known if you're interested.

But please, don't be nervous. Many, many come down on their own (my son's didn't because it was actually not in the tube) and it doesn't affect fertility at all until a few years old.

Good luck, and thank Hashem that this is all you have to deal with. I know it's hard to hear, but if you want, pm me about the parents that were in the waiting room with us. B"H you only have this. and good luck. PM me if you have any ques.

justmom

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 2:53 pm
Two sons had it-- with one son the pediatrician wasn't sure if even one had descended (kept slipping out of his grasp) and one seemed to go up and down-- sorry if TMI--anyway, by age 1 both children had both testicles where they belonged-- if you're still nervous ask your dr. what the statistics are of children who end up needing surgery for this-- my completely uneducated guess is probably not that many. I hope that's the case with yours. Good Luck

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 2:57 pm
(retractile?)

amother

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 7:51 pm
I know this is not what you WANT to hear, but I think its important you hear it anyway (DONT WORRY! its not all bad. just sounds bad at first)

my DH also had this. ultimately they had to remove one of his testicles.
you asked does it affect fertility.
he has never had a sperm count done or anythging like that - but because B"H we have never ever needed anything like that.
we have a wonderful family B"H and I got pregnant within a few months of getting married, and within 1-2 months of getting off birth control with all our subsequent kids! so even the "worst case scenario," (CH"V and I dont wish it on anyone) - dont think it means your son will not be able to have kids or anything chas veshalom that horrible!!!!!!

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:20 am
Avraham Tzvi was born with it undescended. It was where it belongs by 1 when they checked.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:29 am
Elchanan (he's 3 months old today KA"H) has it but he also has a hernia which is preventing it from coming down properly.

He'll need surgery to correct the hernia and then they'll correct the undescended testicle. We're kind of juggling here - OTOH they want to correct the hernia ASAP but OTOH they want to wait as long as possible regarding the testicle.

He's already seen a pediatric surgeon and we have a follow up visit in August, when he's 5 months old. He'll most likely have corrective surgery soon after that.

YALT

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 7:01 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Elchanan (he's 3 months old today KA"H) has it but he also has a hernia which is preventing it from coming down properly.

He'll need surgery to correct the hernia and then they'll correct the undescended testicle. We're kind of juggling here - OTOH they want to correct the hernia ASAP but OTOH they want to wait as long as possible regarding the testicle.

He's already seen a pediatric surgeon and we have a follow up visit in August, when he's 5 months old. He'll most likely have corrective surgery soon after that.

I'm just curious & confused.
Are they trying to avoid 2 surgeries, so they want to do both at once? If so, and they know that the reason for the undescended testicle is bec. of hernia, why not just do it? I'd understand pushing off the testicle surgery if there's a possibility of it descending on it's own. But it sounds like this won't until hernia is taken care of. And if they are doing 2 separate surgeries, then why not take care of the hernia, then wait until he's 18 months or so b4 taking care of testicle?

YALT

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 7:01 am
in any case, hugs to all, and hatzlacha.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 7:57 am
YALT wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:

Are they trying to avoid 2 surgeries, so they want to do both at once? If so, and they know that the reason for the undescended testicle is bec. of hernia, why not just do it? I'd understand pushing off the testicle surgery if there's a possibility of it descending on it's own. But it sounds like this won't until hernia is taken care of. And if they are doing 2 separate surgeries, then why not take care of the hernia, then wait until he's 18 months or so b4 taking care of testicle?

They want to wait until the testicle matures a bit more and the veins and arteries get bigger before surgically moving it.

It's a fine balance - on the one hand, we really should do the hernia operation ASAP before Ch'vSh a problem arises, but we want to deal with the testicle issue as late as possible... so we need to find a medium point to deal with both issues at once.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 9:20 am
My son was born with one undescended testicle. Urologist immediatley said that it is extremely high and needs surgery. I thought it must be done before first birthday. He is now three years old

amother

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 12:05 pm
My son had this too & had surgery at 16 mo. That was when our urologist felt was optimum in his case. We also gave him hormones to help it descend. The sugeon got the testicle into the right place but it couldn't be connected properly. He has another one that works fine.We were told that this testicle will produce sperm but will not be "dispensed " (sorry, looking for a good word here) normaly. The sperm could be extracted by a doctor. We are not worried about this at all.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:01 pm
amother wrote:
My son had this too & had surgery at 16 mo. That was when our urologist felt was optimum in his case. We also gave him hormones to help it descend. The sugeon got the testicle into the right place but it couldn't be connected properly. He has another one that works fine.We were told that this testicle will produce sperm but will not be "dispensed " (sorry, looking for a good word here) normaly. The sperm could be extracted by a doctor. We are not worried about this at all.

Does that mean that such a child will only be able to have children thru IVF?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

No!!
A man has 2 testicles usually. Even if one cannot release sperm, the other one should be sufficient to fertilize an egg....

YALT

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:04 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
YALT wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:

They want to wait until the testicle matures a bit more and the veins and arteries get bigger before surgically moving it.

It's a fine balance - on the one hand, we really should do the hernia operation ASAP before Ch'vSh a problem arises, but we want to deal with the testicle issue as late as possible... so we need to find a medium point to deal with both issues at once.

Oh, boy! That is quite tricky!
My best wishes for Elchonon that all goes well, and the surgery is done at the right time, and he should have a speedy recovery!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:06 pm
I was just at the doc this morning for a heart test and tomorrow for blood work. After that we schedule the surgery. It's very very common. Just keep an eye on it and if it doesn't correct itself, take care of it with surgery or whatever other way you may find out.

YALT

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:10 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

No!!
A man has 2 testicles usually. Even if one cannot release sperm, the other one should be sufficient to fertilize an egg....

According to what Amother wrote, a doctor needs to extract the sperm.
From what (I think) I know, you need 2 testicles to work together in order for the sperm to leave the man. In which case, Amother's son, as she wrote, will need a dr to extract the sperm. I think what they do is they extract sperm, extract an egg from wife, grow the 2 together, and then replace it back inside the wife.
I could have all my details wrong. The one who explained it to me is unavailable.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics